Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Westchester County
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-21-2013, 12:02 PM

108 posts, read 209,803 times

Advertisements

How about I84??

Can we agree that is a fair dividing line between up state and downstate?

Anythng north of there really looks like "upstate" and it runs through Newburgh, which is often a a city that people go back amd forth over whether its upstate or not.

I really think that is the best Interstate that you will find as a border.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-21-2013, 04:03 PM

1,214 posts, read 2,324,558 times
As someone who is actually from upstate and has no personal bias or complex about being considered as such, I'd agree that anything north of Poughkeepsie can be considered Upstate New York.

Old 08-21-2013, 06:49 PM

425 posts, read 1,213,161 times
It all depends on your perspective. In my experience, people from north of Rockland County and Putnam County appear less likely to travel into the city or have a connection to NYC. I am not talking about those who moved up there from the city because of a cheaper cost of living and yet continue to work in the city. I am speaking of the folks born and raised there... the locals. They are more into hunting/snow mobiling and upstate type stuff and tend to dislike NYC and the people who live there. Many are intimidated by the City and Westchester as well.

My parents live in Orange County and that is the vibe from the locals...

Meanwhile, all my Long Island friends think Northern Westchester is upstate. I guess because its north of Manhattan, which they have to circle around everytime they want to leave the godforsaken place. Forgetting the fact that places like Manhassat/Glen Cove are only a few miles away from Rye/Greenwich across the sound.

Old 08-21-2013, 07:10 PM

2,619 posts, read 7,032,154 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by john70 View Post
Meanwhile, all my Long Island friends think Northern Westchester is upstate. I guess because its north of Manhattan, which they have to circle around everytime they want to leave the godforsaken place. Forgetting the fact that places like Manhassat/Glen Cove are only a few miles away from Rye/Greenwich across the sound.
Long Islanders should be simply disqualified from the discussion. For them it's everything other than NYC and LI itself. Their view of what's "upstate" is limited to themselves alone and is considered a joke by everyone else.

Old 08-21-2013, 09:28 PM

2 posts, read 10,687 times
Rochester is downstate. So is Albany. Poughkeepsie...not even remotely close. I come from Plattsburgh....that's upstate people. You have the southern half of the state and the northern half of the state. Open your eyes people. We are talking about geography here. Not population.

Quote:
New York City, with a Census-estimated population of over 8.3 million in 2012, is the most populous city in the United States. Alone, it makes up over 40 percent of the population of New York state.
Source.

Old 08-27-2013, 08:14 PM

475 posts, read 852,916 times
Well below the Mason-Dixon we just call it up north...

Old 08-30-2013, 11:22 PM

796 posts, read 1,756,486 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kletter1mann View Post
Long Islanders should be simply disqualified from the discussion. For them it's everything other than NYC and LI itself. Their view of what's "upstate" is limited to themselves alone and is considered a joke by everyone else.
If you were a Long Islander (as I am) and you asked me, "Where is Fishkill?" I would say, "It's about an hour and a half upstate" since it would probably take about that long to drive there once your out of the NYC area, and that's just the easiest way to explain it. Many LIers, unfortunately, couldn't find Dutchess County on a map. We are not being selfish, that's just a convenient way to illustrate NY geography for us. Also, we generally break New York state into three categories: LI, NYC, and the rest is Upstate NY (since in most contexts it's not really important to us exactly where in Upstate NY something might be). Also most LIers don't consider Southern Westchester upstate, but usually Northern Westchester.

Old 09-03-2013, 11:55 AM

5,719 posts, read 6,447,355 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Subseven View Post
Rochester is downstate. So is Albany. Poughkeepsie...not even remotely close. I come from Plattsburgh....that's upstate people. You have the southern half of the state and the northern half of the state. Open your eyes people. We are talking about geography here. Not population.

Source.
Well it does not make sense to talk about geography. The term refers to culture. In your opinion, the correct usage is North Country = Upstate, Everything else = Downstate. This opinion is not shared by a majority or even a plurality.

No definition of Upstate will get a majority. Different places use it to refer to different things and since there is no majority, no answer is "correct."

Old 09-04-2013, 08:49 AM

148 posts, read 531,668 times
Final answer..upstate = anything north of the Dutchess County region.

Now what?

Old 09-04-2013, 02:18 PM

17,916 posts, read 24,353,110 times
I would consider Greene and northern Dutchess as a DMZ where anything north of it is upstate and anything south downstate. Anyone in that zone can say what they want at the risk of war.

Rockland county is no more upstate than Westchester and 'how often you go to NYC' or how 'intimidated' you are by Westchester* is not relevant the the upstate/downstate distinction. That is what we have the term 'metropolitan area' for. The Metropolitan area extends into downstate New York, but is neither limited to nor defined by it nor the other way around.

I went years hardly going into NYC from Mount Vernon (about 10 miles from midtown Manhattan). I went north to shop, to recreate, everything. Only went to the Bronx for the zoo and to the city as a museum visiting tourist.

Finally, culturally, I think the 'big-picture' distinction in New York state is West vs. East. New York City's presence and influence is an outlier or anomolous factor in defining the regionality of New York State. This is true of all major metropoli which have more in common with one another than they do with the state or country they are located in.

*hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahah ahaha. Sorry.

Last edited by ABQConvict; 09-04-2013 at 02:28 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Westchester County