Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Westchester County
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-18-2013, 02:47 PM

37 posts, read 98,639 times

Advertisements

DH and I visited a wonderful home in Dobbs Ferry and now I am all confused about what we should be considering. How much worse are the Dobbs Ferry schools versus something like a Mamaroneck? I know it is a step down from Bronxville, Scarsdale, and Chappaqua but I can't tell how much worse. Something that isn't a pressure cooker is probably a good fit for our family, but I don't want to sacrifice on our kids' education.

We had previously fallen in love with a house in Chappaqua but decided it was just too long of a commute to consider. Scarsdale/Edgemont are beautiful but I worry that everyone we talk to warns us that the area is really snobby. We walked around Larchmont today and found that the few blocks between Chatsworth and Larchmont, along with the area down by the Sound, are really nice. I also loved the fact that people *walk* there, especially because I don't particularly like to drive. However as we headed back to the city the area gets dodgy (rundown buildings) pretty quickly. Also there isn't much on the market in Larchmont south of the train - I much prefer that side - with a decent size useable backyard under $2mn. We don't need to move right away but it would be nice to know that we will have options over the next year.

Is Larchmont really as special as those few blocks seem to indicate? What are the pros and cons of it vs the river towns, specifically Dobbs Ferry? I didn't get a good sense of the river towns' downtown area other than that it seems a bit run down and not particularly walkable. Also what is the part of Larchmont like to the north of the train? I would love to be able to walk to playgrounds (Flint Park, Manor Park) and I don't know of anything comparable up there.

Thank you for your advice.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-18-2013, 04:32 PM

7,296 posts, read 11,858,718 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by moving42kids View Post
Scarsdale/Edgemont are beautiful but I worry that everyone we talk to warns us that the area is really snobby.
I do not live in Scarsdale so my POV about the village is quite limited. However my encounters with the people there and my visits to the area have not been unpleasant. I have a friend/business associate who grew up there and I would stay over his house to help him start his company. His friends from the neighborhood and SHS would regularly drop by to chat and engage in good conversation. His mom's friends would do the same also. They are Latino (as were their friends in Scarsdale) and did not seem to have a problem fitting in. Nowadays I would drive there to buy things in shops or eat in cafes/Starbucks in Scarsdale's downtown area near the train station and I have not observed anything negatively abnormal to any typical NYC suburb. I actually like their downtown as it is less busy than Bronxville. Also some nice new establishments have opened there over the past few years like Chat and Lulu's.

The other thing I took positively was that Scarsdale had generally level terrain and the houses were closer to each other unlike up north. It makes it easier for kids to meet up with their friends without having to drive them. Sometimes I would see groups of tweens riding bicycles together and just having a good time. I cannot picture letting kids bike alone from the house to wherever in Chappaqua given the steepness of roads like King, Maple and Castle which you would have to pass to get to Chap's downtown.

The only negative thing I could observe was that the properties there were expensive. You will get far more for your money with a house in Chappaqua than you would in Scarsdale without compromising on schools. Also some of the residents in Scarsdale appear to be getting cavalier about the school budget at a time when many suburbs are looking to cut costs. If ever I get a place in Scarsdale, it would probably be an apartment versus a SFH if I bought in the north.

Then again, I do not live there 24/7 so I do not know how things really are especially in the schools, church, etc. On the surface it appears that people generally get along pretty well.

Last edited by Forest_Hills_Daddy; 08-18-2013 at 06:01 PM..

Old 08-24-2013, 09:49 PM

81 posts, read 245,767 times
We moved to DF about a year and a half ago with schools being the top consideration. It all depends on what you're looking for. We didn't want pressure cooker, highest test scores, snobby, keeping up with the Jonses, etc and that is exactly what we got here...couldn't be happier with Springhurst. DF also has the IB program in the high school and is planning to adapt the MYP for grades 6-10 I believe and eventually for primary. It's a different approach to learning which I believe will be a good fit for my kids. Also I really liked the vibe around here - very friendly down-to-earth people. HTH, feel free to PM me.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Westchester County