U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Westchester County
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-20-2013, 06:04 AM

25 posts, read 38,191 times

Advertisements

We are considering a house in a section of Scarsdale that is about 3.5 miles to any train (close to Saxon Woods0. It's basically equidistant to Hartsdale, Mamaroneck & White Plains. White Plains seems like the most practical place to catch a train given the frequency and timing. We're trying to get an idea of the traffic on Old Mamaroneck Rd in the morning between 6:45-7:15. Most days the goal would be to be in GCT by 7:30-7:50.

Does anyone have any experience driving around trying to get to train stations at that time? Is there lots of traffic?

The distance to the train is a major point of concern for us - anyone willing to share experiences on being a 10-15 min drive to a train station is appreciated also. Office is very close to Grand Central, so once in the city there is no commute.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-20-2013, 09:02 AM

12 posts, read 25,202 times
I don't think there should be much traffic at that hour, but as you get close to downtown, the traffic lights are probably not timed in your favor. I find most of the traffic in the morning is school related. Based on where you describe your location, there's a few different ways to get to White Plains trains station and Old Mamaroneck might not be the best way, although none of them are going to be quicker than 10-15. One thing to keep in mind about the White Plains train station is your destination is not the train station, but the parking lot (or where you're getting dropped off). The general approach to the train station, if you follow the signs, is slow and can take 5 minutes just to go a few blocks because of the lights at each corner. PM me if you what to go into specifics.

Old 08-20-2013, 03:39 PM

835 posts, read 2,216,088 times
If you are going to park at the WP station, leave at least 5 extra minutes when you get there to get from your car to the train station, if not more.

If I were you I'd just drive on Mamaroneck Rd straight to the Hartsdale station via Fenimore Rd (don't know about permits or meter parking but you'll be early) or cut across to 5 Corners (via Crossways and Weaver maybe? I don't know exactly where you are) and take Heathcote Rd to the Scarsdale station. There are trains in the morning that just stop at Hartsdale and Scarsdale then go straight to GCT.

Also, we know someone who lives off of Griffin in Scarsdale and drives to the Mamaroneck station by going straight down Fenimore (it's Grand Park up at the top in Scarsdale, turns into Fenimore in Mamaroneck because Scarsdale has that other Fenimore...)

I'd look into parking and go with what's more easily available, but having said that I wouldn't drive from where you are to WP, not worth it IMO.

Old 08-20-2013, 10:07 PM

12,270 posts, read 10,400,842 times
Above all, and I can't emphasize this enough, check the parking first for availability.

Old 08-22-2013, 08:41 AM

218 posts, read 546,518 times
Competely agree with Dockside...it's all about where you'll be bale to park. Figure this out first.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Westchester County