U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Westchester County
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-05-2013, 02:11 PM

7,149 posts, read 10,796,129 times

Advertisements

/\/\

No doubt updates would have to be made. Question is does one keep updating a home consistently during onwership or can one wait before putting it to market to get all the updates done.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-05-2013, 05:06 PM

116 posts, read 348,053 times
I think you can get away with fewer updates generally if the place is clean and uncluttered. The filth I've seen house hunting in NY! And SO MUCH STUFF. Some of it isn't what you do to the place as much as what isn't there. If I can't walk into the bedroom to look around, there's too much furniture and clutter. People just don't see it after a while. Clean the windows, take the curtains down and let light in! Get all the stuff off the kitchen counter.

Most people can't afford to renovate everything all at once, or before they move in. So if both bathrooms and the kitchen need to be done, most people would plan to start with the kitchen and then do the bathrooms one at a time, later. That means you can have ugly tile in the bath but not nasty cracked grout, dirty moldy flooring, etc. If your kitchen needs updating, replacing the appliances (like OP's neighbor did) isn't going to trick the buyer - that's the easiest part! Its the cabinets and the lighting, drywall, etc that is the pain. It also does not help to put a granite countertop on old cabinets that need to be replaced.

Old 09-05-2013, 05:17 PM

2,528 posts, read 6,203,675 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by roskybosky View Post
If you want to appeal to today's buyers, you can't have; sheet vinyl floors, formica counters, dated kitchen cabinets, wood paneling, black iron railings like in the 60s, strange colored tile in a tiny bathroom, metal mini blinds, walls of mirrors, "storm windows", rickety screened porch, rotten wood fence or chain link fence anywhere. The place needs to be immaculate, especially where the floor meets the walls. No grungy corners. Remove the old-looking furniture, or any extra furniture. (When people living in a house run out of storage space, instead of getting rid of some stuff,many times they will buy more chests, hutches, shelves, etc. until the place is crammed.)

If you have any of these, the price needs to be adjusted. People like to know they're buying a house that's either a step up in style, or a great deal. Pick one.
LOL. Fortunately we have NONE of those things. I fortunately to have access to a modest size dumpster (for a business). Every week or so since late spring I've been getting rid of about 2 yards of refuse. it's amazing how much stuff accumulates over 22 years.

Old 09-06-2013, 10:04 AM

451 posts, read 665,442 times
Sounds like your house will do better than your neighbor's. They may have priced it too high; most people over-estimate the value of their homes until a realtor shows them some comps.

Oh yeah, I forgot to mention popcorn ceilings and wallpaper. If you have those curly wrought iron pillars holding up your front entryway, have a carpenter enclose them in wood, so you have wood columns. Much better. Try to 'cute up' a backyard shed with paint and maybe a section of picket fence. If you have an air conditioner stuck through the wall, remove it and patch up the wall, or build a cover for it so it can be hidden.

These are just things I've come across while helping friends stage their houses-I don't necessarily mean you have these things, KLetter. I also try to use what the client already has, or try to find things on craigslist, or drag throwaway items out of a dumpster and fix them up. It doesn't have to cost a fortune.

Can you tell I love this stuff?

Old 09-06-2013, 03:34 PM

2,528 posts, read 6,203,675 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by roskybosky View Post
Sounds like your house will do better than your neighbor's. They may have priced it too high; most people over-estimate the value of their homes until a realtor shows them some comps.

Oh yeah, I forgot to mention popcorn ceilings and wallpaper.
doubtless we will do better. Our house is also substantially bigger and rooms are far bigger, more open. We also have 2 master bedrooms, the smaller of which is a kind of au pair or guest room. But..... uhhh.... the guestroom bath has a popcorn ceiling. The horror. The horror. It was the easiest alternative for various reasons. But at least it's a nice new popcorn ceiling.

Old 09-06-2013, 09:30 PM

12,270 posts, read 10,472,655 times
I recently spoke to a real estate agent in our area. Curb appeal is nice she said, but most people want move-in condition, especially families with two wage-earners. They don't want to be bothered with the time it takes to make extensive renovations. She recommended hiring a crew to spiff up the garden, but not to go crazy, because people like to make and remake their gardens
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Westchester County
View detailed profiles of: