U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Westchester County
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-02-2013, 09:50 PM

7,049 posts, read 10,177,136 times

Advertisements

I have been trying to research on this before deciding where to buy a house. Apparently some districts have allowed contractors to dispose of construction waste in their school grounds in exchange for building sports fields on top of the disposal sites.

So far I have found through online sources the following districts which have participated in this arrangement - Briarcliff, Ossining, Greenburgh/Hartsdale, Eastchester and Valhalla.

There is also an uncounted number of towns that allowed fill-for-fields in their parks.

Would anyone know which areas performed fill-for-fields and/or how and where I can find a comprehensive list? Are any places well-known by common knowledge?

There was an online comment elsewhere that said Scarsdale did fill-for-fields but I could not find other sources to corroborate this. Would anyone know if this is true?

BTW - I would presume asking the school/district directly would not be helpful as in the case with Briarcliff where faculty, administrators and board members were either ignorant about what occurred or were intentionally concealing it.
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message

Old 09-03-2013, 07:34 AM

15 posts, read 26,849 times
I don't have the answer but thanks for posting this. I recently came across this post regarding the Briarcliff school, which was scary: Sudden Death: What's In The Ground In Briarcliff Manor?
Was hoping it was an isolated incident, but will now look more into it as well.

Old 09-03-2013, 07:34 AM
bg7

7,697 posts, read 8,856,240 times
That's interesting, and concerning.
I can't help as I'd never even heard of that before.

Old 09-03-2013, 05:28 PM

It was through that Huffington Post article and later Daily Mail and NYT stories that I learned about fill for fields. I did not bring up cancer in the OP because some posters could point out that there is little scientific evidence (aside from the likes of Chernobyl and Tom's River) that proximity to toxic chemicals can lead to cancer, but it is what I was concerned about as well. Apparently these construction fillings were happening without the residents knowing what was going on until too many kids got sick.

Old 09-06-2013, 03:56 AM

1,594 posts, read 2,977,764 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Forest_Hills_Daddy View Post
It was through that Huffington Post article and later Daily Mail and NYT stories that I learned about fill for fields. I did not bring up cancer in the OP because some posters could point out that there is little scientific evidence (aside from the likes of Chernobyl and Tom's River) that proximity to toxic chemicals can lead to cancer, but it is what I was concerned about as well. Apparently these construction fillings were happening without the residents knowing what was going on until too many kids got sick.
The issue is that there are a variety of cancers that have a variety of causes and proving that cancer ABC came from chemical DEF in the fill of field GHI is virtually impossible. But horrific to think about nonetheless.

Old 09-06-2013, 05:23 AM

/\/\

Yes, there has been a lot of back and forth about this in the NJ and LI threads. Really hard to prove with hard science. Also some of the other disposal sites will argue that they took great lengths to assure that no toxic substances were buried in their locations. Though from what I understand the cancers that occurred in Briarcliff are sometimes associated with environmental factors - leukemia, thyroid and lymphoma - and they occurred on very young people all studying in the same schools.

Old 11-11-2013, 06:55 PM

18 posts, read 34,056 times
I cannot believe I am reading this...my husband and I are trying to relocate our family to Westchester and thought we found the makings of our perfect town in Briarcliff Manor. That is until I uncovered the same story and we both agreed we wouldn't want our kids anywhere near that school....period! We were so upset and now are searching for another town. But I am shocked that there were other places that did this, my search is on to find out who participated.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Westchester County
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or