Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Westchester County
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-11-2013, 10:58 AM

166 posts, read 369,930 times

Advertisements

A family friend recently moved to While Plains. Their 5 year old has Autism, pretty high functioning I would say. Hard to figure out until you start talking to him. He can not have a back-and-forth conversation, but otherwise looks OK or even smarter compared to regular 5 year olds. They are looking for some resources for him, like music lessons, karate stuff, swimming lessons, basketball or soccer, skating etc. during appropriate time of the year.

They checked few places and seems like as soon as they tell that the boy has Autism, the facility does not have a program anymore, even before meeting the kid.

Anybody has idea about any one stop place to find resources or if there is any local mailing list of the parents of special needs children etc.?

Any pointer is welcome.

Thanks in advance.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-11-2013, 12:10 PM

114 posts, read 302,112 times
The Larchmont Music Academy has fantastic music programs for children. Both of my have attended them since 4 months old and still go.
They recently started a music class for children with special needs. I have not taken part or or know anyone that has done the special needs class, but the staff there is top notch, all professionally trained and certified, and some of the nicest people to interact with. They are good about doing trial classes to see if the child has an interest or if the parent likes it etc. Hope that helps.

Old 09-11-2013, 09:53 PM

1,497 posts, read 4,457,387 times
We took programs through the Southeast Consortium in Mamaroneck. It's like a normal rec program with an assortment of activities but targeted to kids with different needs. Highly recommend them.

Old 09-12-2013, 08:35 AM

47 posts, read 91,681 times
Perhaps they could just NOT advise places their son is autistic? I mean, until he gets involved in an activity and only if it he has limitations that become an issue. Some places assume if you mention autism, you are the parent of a child who needs help with basic self-care.

My son is borderline PDD/high functioning autism. We've had conflicting diagnoses of him. I don't really care what the specific diagnosis is anyway. What matters is that we address his needs so he can reach his full potential. He is extremely bright and most people would never know there was anything wrong with him because we have worked so much with him (he is 8). He has been in OT, speech, and PT. Most adults that get to know him and are familiar with the autism spectrum see his social skill issues and sensory problems. But people who don't just think he is a bit odd.

Anyway, because he is so high functioning, we do not make a habit of informing extracurricular activity people of his diagnosis. I want him treated like everyone else. At school, his only accommodation so far is that he can squeeze a squishy ball in his desk when he gets stressed.

At any rate, we have been successful with soccer, t-ball and baseball, drama, music, tae kwon do, and more. He is not very athletic and thus is not the best at team sports. But there are other weak links on teams at this age. And there are so many other kids with issues, he doesn't stand out. His one and only issue was with fencing. He really wanted to try it, but he struggled with the coach. He could not understand the coach's eastern European accent AT ALL. I mean, he has enough trouble understanding body language. When he couldn't understand spoken language too, he was miserable. And the coach rudely asked him one day if he was deaf. That was it. He refused to return.

I will note that drama classes and camps are fantastic for kids with high functioning autism. Not only does my son enjoy them, they are good at teaching about body language and expression and helped him become aware of these things.

I don't live there yet, so can't help with specific recommendations. I hope your friend finds some activities her son enjoys.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Westchester County