Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Westchester County
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-16-2007, 09:45 PM

3 posts, read 18,335 times

Advertisements

I just moved here from California and I was wondering what type of preparation I should take for winter in terms of my car. I have a front wheel drive Camry and I wanted to know if I need to get winter tires or chains for when it snows or if the car can handle snow on its own. Would it be worthwhile to get a four wheel drive car or does that really make a bif difference? I guess my basic question is whether it would be safe for me to drive the camry when it snows.

Thanks,
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-16-2007, 09:57 PM

2,806 posts, read 16,328,943 times
Alright clearly you're overreacting. Chains? Barely anyone does that anymore, unless you're driving a truck for your local municipality.

When it snows most people just try to avoid driving. I on the other hand drive just as much, if not more (my friends think I'm nuts for doing so).

With front wheel drive you should be fine. I have driven an all-wheel drive car in the past, and there is a noticeable difference with the snow (much more control), however it only snows for a couple days of the year, and the rest of the time you'll be stuck with that gas guzzler of a car.

Just be careful and stay alert when you're driving and you should be fine.

Old 11-17-2007, 02:19 PM

7,079 posts, read 37,844,738 times
The other tip I can give you: however fast you're going, GO SLOWER. It's relatively easy to move forward in snow but you need to leave MUCH more room for GRADUAL stopping!

Old 11-20-2007, 06:34 PM

301 posts, read 1,323,524 times
Buy 4 name brand winter tires. These are a must for winter driving safety. The traction you'll have with winter tires is unsurpassed versus all seasons. Get them now and remove them in April.

Old 11-20-2007, 09:02 PM

2,787 posts, read 11,468,964 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by talvala View Post
I just moved here from California and I was wondering what type of preparation I should take for winter in terms of my car. I have a front wheel drive Camry and I wanted to know if I need to get winter tires or chains for when it snows or if the car can handle snow on its own. Would it be worthwhile to get a four wheel drive car or does that really make a bif difference? I guess my basic question is whether it would be safe for me to drive the camry when it snows.

Thanks,
It's not that bad here, honestly. We may get a snowstorm (not blizzard), but compared to the rest of the Northeast we live in a tropical paradise.

Old 11-30-2007, 02:35 PM

353 posts, read 1,363,070 times
Snow tires are a good idea but most people with front wheel drive don't even buy them. They just drive carefully. Not much time goes by after it snows before plows come out and the roads are cleared and if it is a big storm, they are plowing while it is still snowing.

Old 12-10-2007, 12:22 PM

3 posts, read 15,408 times
Unless you plan to live in Yonkers, then I suugest a 4X4. Yonkers is notorious for not cleaning the roads during and aftersnow storms. Anywhere else, you should be fine with your Camry.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Westchester County