Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Westchester County
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-28-2013, 07:27 PM

12,380 posts, read 26,853,319 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by john70 View Post
Look in Bronxville. Mount Vernon is the Newark/Camden of Westchester County....nuff said
Not all of Newark is bad , only the South and West Wards , Downtown , East , and North Wards are safe and nice areas...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-29-2013, 06:22 PM

5 posts, read 11,836 times
Thanks, guys. I have ruled out towns with good and mediocre schools because I think you get a lot more bang for your money in a nice part of a town with poor (as in quality of education) schools than in a town with mediocre/good schools.

That probably eliminates Scarsdale, White Plains, Mamaroneck and such. So I thought my best bet would be Mount Vernon/ New Rochelle / Yonkers. I just am not familiar with any of them in terms of good / bad neighborhoods.
Will look into Fleetwood in Mt Vernon. Thanks very much!

If you can think of any other neighborhoods, please do suggest them.

Old 09-29-2013, 07:33 PM

425 posts, read 1,213,321 times
With a decent budget of 3500 per month, why would you consider placed like Mt. Vernon? There are some parts of Mt. Vernon that still look nice, but the only nice village around is Bronxville. You are not going to want to spend time in Mount Vernon, unless you are hooked on drugs or have a penchant for hookers...

Fleetwood is OK, but its not Bronxville. If you said you budget was 2k per month, then I would understand the concerns you seem to have about contributing to the tax base for a school system that you will not be using...You are renting afterall??

Check out the Bronxville PO (Yonkers) area. You can walk to the village of Bronxville in 5 mins and its lovely. There are numerous upscale apartment buildings and you don't have to worry about assisting to pay for the schooling of the locals as the only schools worse than Yonkers' schools are Mount Vernon schools.

Trust me, I lived in Bronxville for 10 years....

Old 09-29-2013, 07:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nexis4Jersey View Post
Not all of Newark is bad , only the South and West Wards , Downtown , East , and North Wards are safe and nice areas...
Nice if compared to the rest of Newark. Its relative

Old 09-30-2013, 02:37 PM

454 posts, read 763,740 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by john70 View Post
With a decent budget of 3500 per month, why would you consider placed like Mt. Vernon? There are some parts of Mt. Vernon that still look nice, but the only nice village around is Bronxville. You are not going to want to spend time in Mount Vernon, unless you are hooked on drugs or have a penchant for hookers...

Fleetwood is OK, but its not Bronxville. If you said you budget was 2k per month, then I would understand the concerns you seem to have about contributing to the tax base for a school system that you will not be using...You are renting afterall??

Check out the Bronxville PO (Yonkers) area. You can walk to the village of Bronxville in 5 mins and its lovely. There are numerous upscale apartment buildings and you don't have to worry about assisting to pay for the schooling of the locals as the only schools worse than Yonkers' schools are Mount Vernon schools.

Trust me, I lived in Bronxville for 10 years....
That explains everything.

Old 09-30-2013, 07:24 PM

5 posts, read 11,836 times
John, thank you. I will research Bronxville, too. Sounds like just the place I am looking for!
And I don't really care where my rent goes - school taxes, whatever. I jus think that the same apartment would cost significantly more in White Plains than in Yonkers, based largely on the quality of public schools. So why move to WP, if i don't need their schools.
If my logic is flawed, I would love to hear a different opinion.

I am also not necessarily looking to spend 3.5 grand. That's my absolute maximum. If I can get something decent for $2K, I am all for it.

Old 09-30-2013, 07:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clairvoyant View Post
John, thank you. I will research Bronxville, too. Sounds like just the place I am looking for!
And I don't really care where my rent goes - school taxes, whatever. I jus think that the same apartment would cost significantly more in White Plains than in Yonkers, based largely on the quality of public schools. So why move to WP, if i don't need their schools.
If my logic is flawed, I would love to hear a different opinion.

I am also not necessarily looking to spend 3.5 grand. That's my absolute maximum. If I can get something decent for $2K, I am all for it.
In all honesty, White plains schools are not that good. Rentals in WP are probably more because the City has lots to offer and there has been a good deal of high end construction the last 10 years. There is zero charm however and living in a place like Bronxville is much better IMHO --- unless you are under thirty and want to party, etc.

The most heralded school districts are Edgemont (Scarsdale), Scarsdale, Bronxville, Rye, Chappaqua, Ardsley, Byram Hills (Armonk)....However, you can live at a Bronxville address just over the border in Yonkers. Its referred to as Bronxville PO (post office). If you don't need the schools you cant tell that you are not in Bronxville proper. Even though its the City of Yonkers, poeple who live there always say they are from Bronxville..Its a gorgeous area.

Rentals may still be a little more $$ because of location and proximity to train - which is 29 minute express to GCT. Also consider Tuckahoe/Crestwood -- the next stop up from Bronxville. Nice also but not as nice and village is not as big.

Old 11-06-2013, 06:18 PM

12 posts, read 31,070 times
You can check on racial ratio here at city-data. I did and made my own list of the best towns. My personal favorits are Irvington, Scarsdale and Larhcmont. If you are looking to spend less then White Plains is the way to go but definitely not Mt. Vernon or Yonkers.

Also, your question did not come out as politically incorrect at all. The truth is the truth whether some like it or not. I am a white attractive woman who had been attacked by blacks. I also have two little daughters. Needless to say that I also am looking to move into the least diverse town of Westchester.

Old 11-06-2013, 09:32 PM

192 posts, read 375,881 times
Do yourself a favor...don't move to EITHER of them!

Look anywhere else but in, Yonkers, Mt. Vernon, and New Rochelle. You've been warned!

Old 11-07-2013, 09:29 AM

12,270 posts, read 11,329,966 times
Check out downtown New Rochelle. There is a Trump Plaza in downtown New Rochelle that's in your price range and two Avalon apartment buldings across from the Library Green. All are a five minute walk to the train station and a very easy commute to NYC. Property taxes in the downtown area are easier on the wallet then the north-end or the shore areas.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Westchester County