Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Westchester County
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-01-2013, 04:44 PM

425 posts, read 1,212,971 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by roskybosky View Post
It's unbelievable now, but A.B. Davis (Mt. Vernon HS) used to be one of the top schools in the country. My parents went to high school with Dick Clark, and in those days school districts across the country would visit A.B. Davis to study the school system and how it was so successful. I just came across an article about Dick Clark and how he was actually a SNOB because he went to AB Davis. I know this was a buzzilion years ago (1940s-1950s), but there was a time when Mt V was a nice place to live.

In the 60's some fool decided to destroy all the high schools in the city and build one huge one where everyone would attend. It threw different economic groups together, different races together, in a school of 5,000 kids. The grand exodus began and never stopped.

Yes, John70, if you don't have to use the high school, you're ok in the northern edge. And you can always say you live in Fleetwood.
I believe Art Carney is from Mount Vernon as well...So is Denzel W. but he grew up there after it turned.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-02-2013, 09:05 AM

454 posts, read 763,448 times
There would be too many famous people to list; most were from the 30s-40s era. Alan Alda's dad, Art Carney, Michael Imperioli (Sopranos,) Puff Daddy, Denzel, Stephanie Mills, Debbie Allen, and lots of others. I think b/c it's so close to NY, many lived in Mt Vernon.

Ed McMahon and oldsters like Derwood Kerby, Jennifer O'Neill and Danny Kaye used to have houses in Mt. V. Again, long time ago. I just remember the phrase..."It used to be so nice..." repeated by adults as I was growing up. But, many towns had their heyday in the past and I'm sure it's a common story.

But we digress...

Old 12-02-2013, 07:21 PM

Interesting.

I think Mount Vernon is somewhat unique, as no other town in Westchester appears to have fallen so far with no chance of recovery. Yet, the surrounding areas did not suffer the same fate...some areas of NR are not nice. I suppose you can look south to the Bronx and compare it to- Pelham Parkway, Grand Concourse etc..

My brother in law played HS football with PDiddy at Mount St. Michaels in the Bronx.

Old 12-02-2013, 10:00 PM

3,921 posts, read 9,127,761 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by john70 View Post
Interesting.

I think Mount Vernon is somewhat unique, as no other town in Westchester appears to have fallen so far with no chance of recovery. Yet, the surrounding areas did not suffer the same fate...some areas of NR are not nice. I suppose you can look south to the Bronx and compare it to- Pelham Parkway, Grand Concourse etc..

My brother in law played HS football with PDiddy at Mount St. Michaels in the Bronx.
The areas along Pelham Parkway are still nice.

Old 12-03-2013, 05:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by checkmatechamp13 View Post
The areas along Pelham Parkway are still nice.
Relatively speaking -- yes...I wouldn't want to live there though.

Old 12-07-2013, 09:08 PM

93 posts, read 312,215 times
Here's another reason for not moving to Yonkers... I used to work with some people from there and occassionally they would mention involvment with the mafia/mob and/or an interest in doing violent things to people. Sounds like a joke but I got the impression they were more than serious. There's a reason housing in Yonkers is cheaper than other places in Westchester area, - hopefully you won't have the pleasure of meeting these types of people.

Old 12-07-2013, 10:42 PM

Depends on the area. There are some very wealthy areas of Yonkers with 2-3 million dollar homes..see Lawrence Park West and Cedar Knolls, as well as Colonial Heights/Scarsdale PO area among many many otyers...wonderful, gorgeous neighborhoods!!

Old 12-11-2013, 01:44 PM

2,042 posts, read 2,903,689 times
I live in Yonkers near the border with Hastings (right along the river), and it is a nice, quiet area, where rents are not out of this world (sub-$2000).

Old 12-11-2013, 08:35 PM

17,916 posts, read 24,345,683 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by john70 View Post
Why don't you re-read the OP's original post and follow up comments??? With his/her budget why the heck would you want to live near Mt. Vernon? Mount Vernon is for folks who can't afford to live anywhere else. Its worse than many areas of the Bronx...Its ghetto, its violent, its drug infested...its well...we all know

But if you if makes you feel better to call Bronxville snobby because its a pipe dream for you then so be it....
My elderly Norwegian mother lives and shops daily in Fleetwood, Mount Vernon without fear.

You who are afraid of Fleetwood crack me up. You would probably sell your house if a black family moved in two towns south of you. Oh, and with my father's income they make over $250k/year (granted in Bronxville that is hillbilly money) so it isn't money that is keeping them from moving either.

Old 12-12-2013, 07:25 PM

454 posts, read 763,448 times
Joe's pizza makes it all worthwhile.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Westchester County