U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Westchester County
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-13-2013, 06:18 PM

11 posts, read 29,178 times

Advertisements

Is Peekskill a great town for a newly married couple? We are looking for a home 400,000 range . We work in lower westchester. We don't mind diversity however we do like a nice safe community with things to do around town. We have looked as far as duchess however we do not desire the long commute. There are some older threads however with the changes we have read in Peekskill, would it give us what we are seeking. We have lived in white plains for 10 years and are prices out. Any suggestion? No children yet but will in a few years.

Thanks.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-13-2013, 07:17 PM

562 posts, read 988,062 times
Check out Ossining - my husband and I are a young couple and just bought a house here in July. Plenty to do in town and commute is approximately 45 minutes if you catch an express train. Love it so far.

Old 10-13-2013, 07:30 PM

1,316 posts, read 4,997,569 times
I'd say yes if you want a lovely older home; to be walking distance to a number of good restaurants, coffee houses, live music venues, galleries, and parks: and a lively, vibrant, and diverse community.

I'd say no if you don't want a gritty, urban feel. Peekskill is really small, but it does have a 'city' feel, which is a pro and a con. It reminds me of brownstone Brooklyn in the late 90s. It's safe by most standards, but there is an underclass, and with that comes drugs and drug-related crime.

All I can say is hang out there and see how it feels. I love Peekskill and go there quite often, but I wouldn't want to live there (I moved out of the city for a reason). If it doesn't feel right you could consider the immediate area. You could probably find a decent house in your budget in parts of Cortlandt and northern Yorktown. That would give you a quiter area still close to what Peeksill offers.

Old 10-14-2013, 01:16 PM

11 posts, read 29,178 times
Thanks...we are looking at the newer develop ments in the outskirt..closer to Cortlandt maner. .very suburban feel to the area...we are not looking in the urban inner city section.Any thoughts on those parts of peekskill?

Old 10-16-2013, 07:14 AM

37 posts, read 96,024 times
Peekskill is a dump. I know they are trying to renovate it but despite some window dressing you can't get away from the poverty and low class environment. We had a house in Chapel Hill for 8 years (finally sold earlier this year), the middle-class enclave in Peekskill. CH is a lovely area (which in our ignorance is what brought us there) - lots of green space, nice amenities, not near the downtown - but the board is dysfunctional and some of the neighbors are a nightmare. Sure you can get a decent townhouse with low taxes in your budget, but I hope you are Catholic because the public schools are absolutely atrocious and the only private options are parochial.

Anecdotal example of what I mean by "the public schools are atrocious:" we all know what the demographics of Peekskill are like. The school board decided to use a token white family (picture was included) instead to write the "why we decided to send our children to Peekskill schools" article a few years ago. Unfortunately no one bothered to proof read the letter (or they did and didn't know better), because it was full of gramatical mistakes. I also spoke with someone running for the school board and she didn't have a clue about her plan to turn around the schools.

Before you bash me on the demographics comment, we are a mixed race family.

Old 10-18-2013, 12:10 AM

3 posts, read 9,488 times
I purchased a home in peekskill ny in august 2013 & the seller agreed to pay & get a c/o for the finished basement. the sellers attorney is telling me they can't afford to get the c/o & until we get this c/o I can't live there & its already goin on two months. this purchase was also a short sale & I agreed before closeout I would repair & get a c/o for the deck which in which I already did. should I sue them, my attorney, lender & bank that approved shortsale without c/o's? any advise would be much appreciated thank you

Old 10-18-2013, 05:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by moving42kids View Post
Peekskill is a dump. I know they are trying to renovate it but despite some window dressing you can't get away from the poverty and low class environment. We had a house in Chapel Hill for 8 years (finally sold earlier this year), the middle-class enclave in Peekskill. CH is a lovely area (which in our ignorance is what brought us there) - lots of green space, nice amenities, not near the downtown - but the board is dysfunctional and some of the neighbors are a nightmare. Sure you can get a decent townhouse with low taxes in your budget, but I hope you are Catholic because the public schools are absolutely atrocious and the only private options are parochial.

Anecdotal example of what I mean by "the public schools are atrocious:" we all know what the demographics of Peekskill are like. The school board decided to use a token white family (picture was included) instead to write the "why we decided to send our children to Peekskill schools" article a few years ago. Unfortunately no one bothered to proof read the letter (or they did and didn't know better), because it was full of gramatical mistakes. I also spoke with someone running for the school board and she didn't have a clue about her plan to turn around the schools.

Before you bash me on the demographics comment, we are a mixed race family.
I'd hardly call Chapel Hill the "middle class enclave." It's the development on the edge of town. The middle class enclaves of Peekskill are Mortgage Hill, the area along the northern edge of Depew Park, and the Fort Hill historic district. The people I know all live in those areas and all are middle class professionals (architect, graphic designer, editor, and a teacher). And all are white.

While Peekskill has it's issues, I'd hardly refer to a town with a number of great restaurants, hip brew pubs, and a lively music and gallery scene as "a dump."

Old 10-18-2013, 06:57 PM

37 posts, read 96,024 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dma1250 View Post
I'd hardly call Chapel Hill the "middle class enclave." It's the development on the edge of town. The middle class enclaves of Peekskill are Mortgage Hill, the area along the northern edge of Depew Park, and the Fort Hill historic district. The people I know all live in those areas and all are middle class professionals (architect, graphic designer, editor, and a teacher). And all are white.

While Peekskill has it's issues, I'd hardly refer to a town with a number of great restaurants, hip brew pubs, and a lively music and gallery scene as "a dump."
Downtown Peekskill has a few mediocre-to-decent restaurants and a bunch of restaurants you wouldn't want to touch. Let's just say that we called our local Chinese restaurant "Sketchy" for a reason. How much time do you really spend in downtown Peekskill? Have you ever been to the library and actually looked at the patrons? Do you feel safe there at night (away from a very small area)? I don't consider brew pubs to be the determining factor about what makes a town nice or not.

Who do you think lives in Chapel Hill? They certainly aren't any wealthier than the professions you mentioned, and yes, almost everyone is white there too.

Old 10-18-2013, 08:31 PM

Moving42kids,

We don't live there, but we spend a fair amount of time Peekskill. Gleasons, The Quiet Man, Birdsall House, and the Brewery are among our regular restaurants that we frequent often and I'd rate all of them good or better. And the Peekskill Coffee House is our favorite in the region and we go their often to hang out and hear music. We've been to the Bean Runner cafe often for music too. Years ago when I was a stay at home dad I'd take my kid to the library, and the Riverfront Green and Depew were among our favorite parks in the entire region (and still are). We only go to the Paramount and the Hudson Valley Center For Contemporary Art on occasion, but they're among the best cultural institutions in the region. So, yes, having all of those amenities and attractions is part of what makes me call a town decent.

I think you misunderstood my comments about Chapel Hill. I was not trying to say that the development isn't middle class but rather that it is only one of a number of middle class "enclaves" in the city. I took your description to imply that it was the only such enclave in Peekskill. Perhaps I misunderstood your comment as well.

Old 03-03-2014, 01:28 PM

1 posts, read 3,632 times
Default Nice house and Yard

If you are still looking I know a nice house with a nice yard close to the park that will be going on the morket soon. Older house built in early 1900's, big property, 15,000 square feet.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Westchester County