Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Westchester County
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: best westchester town to live in
Bronxville 7 53.85%
scarsdale 1 7.69%
Rye 4 30.77%
Harrison 1 7.69%
Voters: 13. You may not vote on this poll

Old 10-23-2013, 05:04 PM

12 posts, read 41,263 times

Advertisements

Wondering where people live who send their kids to private school in Manhattan. I love the thought of having space and a house but also would like to send my children to a private school in Manhattan(should they get accepted).

The two hills school seems to have some kids from westchester. Wondering where in westchester do people live? Also how do you handle activities in the city, playdates, classes they might want to take with their friends?
Quick reply to this message

Old 10-23-2013, 06:44 PM

7,296 posts, read 11,805,547 times
I do but but I don't see this as a permanent arrangement. Eventually will be looking to send to good public schools. I live in the south although kid (especially the young) easily gets tired commuting.

No playdates and classes with friends, who themselves have to go home to their own neighborhoods outside Manhattan.

Old 10-23-2013, 07:28 PM

South? Which town do you live in? And where in the city is your child's school? Do you work in the city? Can your child go to a friends house after school and you pick up after work?

Old 10-23-2013, 08:08 PM

7,296 posts, read 11,805,547 times
We rent w/in the Yonkers SD but physically close to Eastchester. School is in UES and yes, I work near WTC. In my case, a relative picks up after school and they go straight home so no need to go to a friend's house. The logistics are rather convoluted and it is taxing to the kid, which is why the public school would be a better permanent arrangement.

Old 10-23-2013, 09:09 PM

2,617 posts, read 6,985,237 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wherenow View Post
Wondering where people live who send their kids to private school in Manhattan. I love the thought of having space and a house but also would like to send my children to a private school in Manhattan(should they get accepted).

The two hills school seems to have some kids from westchester. Wondering where in westchester do people live? Also how do you handle activities in the city, playdates, classes they might want to take with their friends?
Did you mean "The two hill schools"? If so, think Scarsdale and northern New Rochelle (Wykagyl). But why would you want to? Much less Manhattan schools? And.... if you're really in a position to be thinking about such places you wouldn't need to be asking here.

Old 10-24-2013, 06:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheFlooringGirl View Post
Why would you want to?

Please don't take this the wrong way, but this isn't very logical to me. One of the many reasons to move to Westchester is for the great public schools. Many of the towns here have top notch schools and that's what your taxes are paying for. The towns w/ higher taxes generally have better schools. I would include Chappaqua, Scarsdale, Rye, Purchase, Larchomont, Harrison and many others.

It seems to me it would be better for your kids to go to school in the area they live. It will be easier socially. And, certainly more convenient. I've never even heard of a kid commuting to NYC. And, it seems like a lot of extra expense. I'd take that money and put it towards buying a place in a nicer neighborhood.

Maybe I'm missing something, though.
some people do do it, at least with the schools in Riverdale. What you're missing is the desire of some to ensure that their kids associate exclusively with other self-involved, pompous, uber-entitled hedge fund brats. And have 24/7 access to the college admissions guidance staff.

Old 10-24-2013, 07:10 AM

Yes many of the children that go to HM and Riverdale do live in westchester( they have buses from these schools to westchester homes). I just don't know where in westchester, if I were to guess i would imagine the towns closer to riverdale. I agree that the taxes are high is some of these towns hence I was wondering where these families live( I would think in a lower tax town since they do not need good public schools).

Everyone is allowed their own opinion about private school education. We think it's good for our children ( only certain schools).

Old 10-24-2013, 07:19 AM

Also for our budget we can get a lot of space, beautiful house outside the city. In the city I'll get a small 3bdrm that is either too far east or west. Not everyone at a hedge fund or PE raise their children to be brats. Remember some of the Hedge fund people were the nerds in HS...went to a good school but majored in math, or engineering. So I would say they are not all arrogant and just like everyone else trying to raise a family.

Old 10-24-2013, 08:05 AM
bg7

7,694 posts, read 10,498,360 times
We had friends in Larchmont who used to drive their kids to Riverdale. It became too much of a grind - kids should be commuting long term. They moved closer to the school. A couple of my daughter's friends go to Horace Mann, we live on Mamaroneck/Rye border.

Old 10-24-2013, 09:48 AM

Quote:
Yes many of the children that go to HM and Riverdale do live in westchester( they have buses from these schools to westchester homes). I just don't know where in westchester, if I were to guess i would imagine the towns closer to riverdale.
As I said, Scarsdale for sure. Others too no doubt. Give them a call and ask if you're interested.

Quote:
I agree that the taxes are high is some of these towns hence I was wondering where these families live( I would think in a lower tax town since they do not need good public schools).
Nobody sending their kids to those schools cares about taxes and you aren't going to find them in Yonkers, except maybe "Bronxville PO."

Quote:
Everyone is allowed their own opinion about private school education. We think it's good for our children (only certain schools).
To be clear, I've got nothing against private education. The education is absolutely first rate. [full disclosure - I went to RCS, my business partners are an HM legacy and I have close contact with both school's administrations.] Anyway, my comments are just about the social mileau - and they are absolutely accurate. Doesn't mean that 100% of students act entitled or 100% of parents are hedge fund managers. But an overwhelming number are and that's the prevailing environment. Holiday concerns revolve around travel choices between Aspen, The Islands or Italy and whose parents have the private plane to get them there. No exaggeration. If that's what you're after, go for it. But if you can't keep up with that kind of thing or your kids aren't brimming with unshakeable self confidence, prepare to deal with a lot of very weird stuff.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Westchester County