Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Westchester County
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-07-2013, 08:58 AM

14 posts, read 34,755 times

Advertisements

My husband and I found our dream home in the Cortlandt Manor/Yorktown Heights border.. but now that we are SO close to making an offer we continue to hear and read about INDIAN POINT NUCLEAR POWER PLANT!! as you can imagine we are freaking out now and unsure if we are making a terrible mistake! Can anyone advise on this matter? Im reading about the high instances of people being diagnosed with thyroid cancer and other forms of cancer including children within a 10 mile radius.

any better areas to look into that isn't so close to IP but has great schools and not outrageous taxes?

UGH!

TIA
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-07-2013, 10:08 AM

7,296 posts, read 11,805,547 times
The scientific answer is that there is no proven link between IP and higher incidences of thyroid cancer in the area. The stats only prove there is a correlation, but not cause and effect.

But the question is why would you buy there instead of elsewhere?

Old 11-07-2013, 10:36 AM

222 posts, read 537,676 times
You have to been honest with yourself and realize that the reason you can better value in the area is specifically because it's close to IP. You can fool yourself into thinking that you'd want the same house just not close to IP because that same house would cost much more. The same can be said about houses close to major highways, electric lines, etc.

Although, I'm not saying IP should be a dealbreaker considering (i) the do a decent job of keeping it out of public view (ii) as mentioned earlier, they're no evidence of higher cancer rates (many of my friends families worked there for years, and (iii) if the thing does blow up pretty much all of Westchester will be wiped out so there's minimal extra risk for the close areas in the event of a meltdown.

Old 11-07-2013, 10:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Forest_Hills_Daddy View Post
The scientific answer is that there is no proven link between IP and higher incidences of thyroid cancer in the area. The stats only prove there is a correlation, but not cause and effect.

But the question is why would you buy there instead of elsewhere?

Any suggestions where we can look? we are new to this process! thanks!

Old 11-07-2013, 10:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Westchesterwannabe View Post
You have to been honest with yourself and realize that the reason you can better value in the area is specifically because it's close to IP. You can fool yourself into thinking that you'd want the same house just not close to IP because that same house would cost much more. The same can be said about houses close to major highways, electric lines, etc.

Although, I'm not saying IP should be a dealbreaker considering (i) the do a decent job of keeping it out of public view (ii) as mentioned earlier, they're no evidence of higher cancer rates (many of my friends families worked there for years, and (iii) if the thing does blow up pretty much all of Westchester will be wiped out so there's minimal extra risk for the close areas in the event of a meltdown.

UGH! I don't know what to do! or where else to look! :-(
thanks!

Old 11-07-2013, 11:30 AM

Quote:
and (iii) if the thing does blow up pretty much all of Westchester will be wiped out so there's minimal extra risk for the close areas in the event of a meltdown.
And to add those high thyroid cancer rates are being reported within a wider radius so if there really is something going on in IP it is also affecting people in Chappaqua, Yorktown/Yorktown Heights, Peekskill, Briarcliff, Rockland, etc.

Neighbors of NY Nuclear Power Plant Receive Radiation Pills

Quote:
Any suggestions where we can look? we are new to this process! thanks!
Go further south but settle for a smaller property. You can also look at LI or NJ but they have their own environmental issues as well although people there have found ways to manage (ex. whole house water filters, water dispensers etc.)

Old 11-07-2013, 12:53 PM

1,316 posts, read 5,171,686 times
I live in Yorktown Heights about 9 miles from Indian Point and I can't say it worries me anymore than it would if I were 20 miles away. Personally, I'd probably avoid living less than 3 miles from it, but I think that's just my own silliness and it wouldn't make any real difference. The danger is in case of meltdown and then the big question is which way the wind blows. I take solace in being farther north so that I have some chance in hell of being able to drive away from the area without being completely stuck in the death trap of metro NYC.

If IP really worries you, I would say you need to stay at least 20 miles away, which eliminates pretty much all of Westchester north of 287 (and I'd include all the river towns to be safe since the wind often blows down river), all of Rockland and Putnam, and most of northern NJ.

Old 11-07-2013, 01:18 PM

317 posts, read 574,042 times
its fine, over 80% of france is nuclear powered, people here whine too much, its better than having a coal or even a garbage incinerator near by, besides its a cheap and reliable power source

Old 11-07-2013, 01:59 PM

If there is an unforeseen meltdown, the whole country will become a death trap so your chances of escape are no better whether you live north or south. More likely a meltdown will be foreseen as was the case with Fukushima in which event everyone will have enough time to escape.

OP may have been alluding to the "accidental" release of iodine like what happened around the 1960s. Up to now there has been no proven link between this and the many cases on thyroid cancer in the communities in north-western Westechester.

Old 11-07-2013, 03:34 PM

796 posts, read 1,744,471 times
Truth is, if it ever decides to explode a là Chernobyl or Fukushima, living 10 or so miles away wouldn't increase your odds of survival by that much.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Westchester County