Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Westchester County
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-08-2013, 09:30 AM

175 posts, read 421,746 times

Advertisements

I’m a Westchester native presently living in the city. I may move back to Westchester in a few years, motivated by the usual reasons (school-age kids), so I’ve started to research the real estate market and have spent a lot of time with the maps linked in this thread. It’s been an eye-opener to realize how little my mental map of the county corresponds with actual municipal boundaries!

In particular, school districts make no sense to me. In the southernmost tier of municipalities, they’re straightforward: the cities (Yonkers, MV, NR) have their own school districts, as do the villages of Bronxville and the Pelhams. And at the northern end of the county, where the geography is less dense and there are fewer autonomous villages, the districts that combine adjacent parts of neighboring towns make a rough geographical sense.

But in most of the county, district boundaries cross town and village borders with (as far as I can tell) no particular logic or reason -- every time I think I’ve figured out a pattern, I find another exception.

Sometimes a village will be split between two different districts within the same town (Tuckahoe). Sometimes a district will contain its entire village plus adjacent unincorporated town areas (Hastings, Ardsley). Sometimes a district will combine some (but not all -- why not?) of a village with unincorporated parts of the surrounding town (Elmsford, Pleasantville). And sometimes school district boundaries within a town will define a hamlet in an otherwise unincorporated area (Edgemont).

But then there are districts which cross town as well as village borders. The village of Tarrytown is split between Irvington schools, which are entirely within the town of Greenburgh, and Tarrytown schools, which cross the town border to take in the western half of Sleepy Hollow and an unincorporated stretch of Mount Pleasant. The Ossining district contains the town and village of Ossining and part of Briarcliff Manor (the part that falls within the town of Ossining?), then stretches up through an unincorporated section of New Castle to take a small bite out of Yorktown.

There’s even a neighborhood in Cortlandt that sends its kids to school in Putnam County!

In the thread I linked, someone mentions that changing a district boundary requires an act of the state legislature (!). I assume that this is for tax assessment reasons. But how were the school districts determined in the first place?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-08-2013, 11:05 AM

1,316 posts, read 5,190,634 times
Quote:
There’s even a neighborhood in Cortlandt that sends its kids to school in Putnam County!
Most of northern Cortlandt, all of northern Yorktown, and most of southern/central Putnam county are in the Lakeland district. It has schools in both counties.

Old 11-08-2013, 11:11 AM

175 posts, read 421,746 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dma1250 View Post
Most of northern Cortlandt, all of northern Yorktown, and most of southern/central Putnam county are in the Lakeland district. It has schools in both counties.
Thanks, I didn't realize that. The map for Lakeland stops at the county line, but there's a small part of northeast Cortlandt not in Lakeland that's marked "Part of Putnam County."

Although if some of the northern districts cross county lines, that proves my point even further .

Old 11-08-2013, 12:37 PM

2,619 posts, read 7,028,492 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by trebler View Post
In the thread I linked, someone mentions that changing a district boundary requires an act of the state legislature (!). I assume that this is for tax assessment reasons. But how were the school districts determined in the first place?
You didn't mention it, but the school districts also don't correspond directly to zip codes. It's for specific, local, historical reasons. There's no overarching explanation that I'm aware of, so each scenario is more or less unique.

Bottom line: you just need to research the boundaries for the specific towns and districts that you're interested in. Never assume that you'll be in district X because you live in town X. maybe you will, maybe you won't. Check school district boundaries locally.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Westchester County