U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Westchester County
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-21-2007, 08:02 PM

11 posts, read 26,049 times

Advertisements

Hi everyone,
Please help with housing dilemma...

My husband is being relocated from Chicago suburbs to NY. He will be working for Citi at long island city and we are thinking of living in westchester county.. I will probably be working in either midtown manhattan or purchase...
Some people have recommended new rochelle or Larchmont... we are looking for a diverse and friendly community with good schools, boys 5 and 7...

Please let me know your thoughts.. Want to live within 45 minute door to door commute for both of us and can go up to about 1.2MM if we had to...
Are the stories about crime in NR real? Are we okay if we buy in the N part of new rochelle in the Ward school district?

Thanks in advance
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message

Old 11-21-2007, 09:18 PM

1,999 posts, read 4,550,930 times
Default Your life is Sugar and Spice/ Hubbys life is hell

Your husbands commute will be hell. He will have to cross one if not two rivers if you choose to live in Westchester and work at Citicorp L.I.C. The commute is either a long traffic clogged drive with tolls to an area with little to no parking. The other option is the Metro North Commuter RR with a connection to the IRT flushing line to court street. This commute is like trying to squeeze tomato juice from bowling balls, it is a daily nightmare. He is looking at 90-120 mins each way.

New Rochelle to Purchase is 12 mins, a dream commute. If you want an easy commute, while screwing over your husband and turning his life to hell, go with New Rochelle. Don't show him this post.

If I was your Husband I would insist on living in in Queens somewhere near the 7 train or Queens/L.I. utilizing the LIRR to Hunters Points station. This would steamline your Husbands daily experience commuting to Citi LIC. He is not going to be a happy camper wasting his energy expenditures on a poorly planned, inefficient commute from New Rock to LIC.

Old 11-22-2007, 06:31 AM

7,079 posts, read 35,529,854 times
Westchester is exactly what you're looking for. I think you can do better for that money than New Rochelle, however. Queens is NOT for you. Trust me. You'll like Westchester - many areas remind me of Lake Forest, IL. Try Chappaqua, Pleasantville.

Your husband's commute will be FINE. We have a country home in Bedford Hills and it's only 50 minutes on the train. I don't know what the 'two rivers' business is, but it's an EASY commute.

Old 11-22-2007, 08:01 AM

Default Thanks for views

Thank you for letting me know... Mapquest made it look like he could drive to work in 30 minutes....
We live in the suburbs in chicago and would really prefer westchester county due to schools and environment...
We were also thinking of larchmonth but were told it had no diversity.
Was also told Scarsdale had no diversity ..

We are african american professionals and have lived in many parts of the world amd so it really is important to us that our boys are raised in a diverse environment with people from different cultures..
( not all black or all white).
We were also thinking of renting the first year ( till our house sells in Chicago)hopefully in a place we would want to live in so our boys dont have to change schools again...
Any other suburbs that are not too far from the city, LIC or purchase with at least some diversity and good schools?

Thanks again and Happy Thankgiving....

Old 11-22-2007, 08:42 AM

7,079 posts, read 35,529,854 times
I would advise your husband NOT to drive to the city. The train is faster, cheaper and easier on the nerves. I have an African-American colleague at work who lives in Chappaqua. So, while possibly not the most diverse place in Westchester, it's not completely uniform.

The train is really the way to go. Parking in Manhattan is prohibitive in cost, not to mention the stress, the time. And if he's working in mid-town, Grand Central Station is a breeze!

Best of luck.

Old 11-24-2007, 04:56 PM

12 posts, read 44,614 times
But he's not working in mid-town, he's working in Long Island City. In Queens.

He can take the train to Grand Central and then switch to the subway to take it to LIC. This is doable, but not fun. Here's the deal. From Westchester, the fastest and easiest way to get into Manhattan is Metro-North commuter railroad into Grand Central Terminal. It has a train schedule and he would plan on taking a particular train at a particular time. He would get off the train, walk through the train station over to the subway platforms and wait for the next subway. While the subways have nominal schedules (eg, at rush hour it might be every 4 minutes) you don't actually know when the next train is coming. This becomes a problem on the way home. If you work in mid-town and can walk to Grand Central, you know exactly how long it takes to get there and, to the minute, what time you have to be walking out of the office to just barely make your train and what time you have to leave to have it be a pleasant walk and get to the train a few minutes before it leaves so you have some choice of seats. Really, I know to the minute when I have to leave.

With the subway, you don't actually know exactly when a subway is coming or exactly how long it will take to get there. Delays happen. You either have to leave the office leaving a big cushion in order to be absolutely sure you will make the 6:17 to Pelham (or whatever) or you have to be willing to live with the fact that if you miss your train the next one, even at rush hour, might not be for another 20 minutes or so.

Again, people do this. There are plenty of people who live in Westchester and work in the Wall St. area and do this. But it's a pain.

I don't care what Mapquest says, no way can you count on 30 minutes from Westchester to LIC. All those highways headed down into the Bronx get very, very busy at rush hour and he will have to cross a bridge, which is a bottleneck. For comparison's sake (you're going to want to look at a map), I live in Rye Brook and my sister-in-law lives in Bayside, which is the neighborhood in Queens right off the Throg's Neck Bridge. On a weekend with no traffic, it's about 30 minutes.

If you're working in mid-town, you might actually be better off on Long Island.

If you're working in Purchase, there is no actually convenient place for you to live and both have decent commutes unless you're willing to live in Manhattan.

I'm trying to think of a delicate way to say what I'm about to say, but I really can't think of one. Umm, upper middle class, excellent public school towns in Westchester aren't widely known for their racial diversity. If you're looking for a town like that with some kind of critical mass of African American families, I don't know what to recommend. For instance, I know an African American family here in Rye Brook. I suppose it's possible that they aren't the only ones. Asians, particularly Japanese families, are more common. Larchmont has a reasonably significant French population. I live near Rye and hear a lot of accents and see a lot of diplomatic plates.

Common sense suggests that there must be professional African American families living in Westchester, but honestly I have no idea where.

Wow, I don't mean to be so discouraging and I may be wrong in assuming that when you want diversity you specifically want some reasonable number of African American families.

There are decent (good?) elementary schools in New Rochelle, but you're not going to want to send your boys to middle school or high school there. It's the kind of place that, if you have the resources to spend $1.2M on a house, you will be planning to move or put them in private school. Larchmont has excellent schools.

Old 11-24-2007, 05:16 PM

Default Thanks.. Wow.. THis is hard.. Looks like we should definitely rent the first year

Quote:
Originally Posted by miriam2 View Post
But he's not working in mid-town, he's working in Long Island City. In Queens.

He can take the train to Grand Central and then switch to the subway to take it to LIC. This is doable, but not fun. Here's the deal. From Westchester, the fastest and easiest way to get into Manhattan is Metro-North commuter railroad into Grand Central Terminal. It has a train schedule and he would plan on taking a particular train at a particular time. He would get off the train, walk through the train station over to the subway platforms and wait for the next subway. While the subways have nominal schedules (eg, at rush hour it might be every 4 minutes) you don't actually know when the next train is coming. This becomes a problem on the way home. If you work in mid-town and can walk to Grand Central, you know exactly how long it takes to get there and, to the minute, what time you have to be walking out of the office to just barely make your train and what time you have to leave to have it be a pleasant walk and get to the train a few minutes before it leaves so you have some choice of seats. Really, I know to the minute when I have to leave.

With the subway, you don't actually know exactly when a subway is coming or exactly how long it will take to get there. Delays happen. You either have to leave the office leaving a big cushion in order to be absolutely sure you will make the 6:17 to Pelham (or whatever) or you have to be willing to live with the fact that if you miss your train the next one, even at rush hour, might not be for another 20 minutes or so.

Again, people do this. There are plenty of people who live in Westchester and work in the Wall St. area and do this. But it's a pain.

I don't care what Mapquest says, no way can you count on 30 minutes from Westchester to LIC. All those highways headed down into the Bronx get very, very busy at rush hour and he will have to cross a bridge, which is a bottleneck. For comparison's sake (you're going to want to look at a map), I live in Rye Brook and my sister-in-law lives in Bayside, which is the neighborhood in Queens right off the Throg's Neck Bridge. On a weekend with no traffic, it's about 30 minutes.

If you're working in mid-town, you might actually be better off on Long Island.

If you're working in Purchase, there is no actually convenient place for you to live and both have decent commutes unless you're willing to live in Manhattan.

I'm trying to think of a delicate way to say what I'm about to say, but I really can't think of one. Umm, upper middle class, excellent public school towns in Westchester aren't widely known for their racial diversity. If you're looking for a town like that with some kind of critical mass of African American families, I don't know what to recommend. For instance, I know an African American family here in Rye Brook. I suppose it's possible that they aren't the only ones. Asians, particularly Japanese families, are more common. Larchmont has a reasonably significant French population. I live near Rye and hear a lot of accents and see a lot of diplomatic plates.

Common sense suggests that there must be professional African American families living in Westchester, but honestly I have no idea where.

Wow, I don't mean to be so discouraging and I may be wrong in assuming that when you want diversity you specifically want some reasonable number of African American families.

There are decent (good?) elementary schools in New Rochelle, but you're not going to want to send your boys to middle school or high school there. It's the kind of place that, if you have the resources to spend $1.2M on a house, you will be planning to move or put them in private school. Larchmont has excellent schools.

WE really want to live in westchester, heard about good schools, beautiful area.. I dont want to be in manhattan... ( city is a little gritty and waiting lists for private schools sounds painful).. Apologies to new york city lovers but chicago streets are so clean, we are spoilt. LOL...

Dont want to live in New Jersey....

The posts and research on new rochelle are a concern... we want to be able to use public schools till maybe high school ( then maybe boarding school)..
Looks like lower westchester ( S) will shorten commutes to LIC or manhattan.... Still hoping to work in Purchase for me..

Looks like we should definitely rent the first year before making investment in markets...
Can we find a 4br home that's fairly updated ( hopefully CAC, 2 car garage) in the 5000 to 6000/month range in Larchmont?

Any other suburbs in S. westchester to consider??

Old 11-26-2007, 11:07 AM

25 posts, read 89,268 times
Default Westchester

Look for some good alternatives along the commuter train routes up from Manhattan. That would make it attractive for you to live there.

From Grand Central Station across the East River to LIC is very convenient by transit.

Let me know if you need more info.
Best Wishes.

Old 11-28-2007, 12:43 PM

490 posts, read 1,651,214 times
Default Chicago to NY

Hi WorkingMama,
I am a big advocate for the city of White Plains. Please check it out! It has good schools K-5 (so so middle school) and it is a full service city (public transport, hospital, movies, even a DMV). I once was close to a year without getting out of the area, no need, everything I needed was inside the city (but do go out please!).

White Plains is very diverse, has people from all over the world. Many professionals Afro-Americans but tons of latin people as well, especially from South America. Houses are expensive but you should not have a problem in your range.

I used to go to Purchase from WP and it is a breeze by car. Going to LIC will be hard. I know some people think is not but it is. Spending almost two hours each way is no picnic. However, you are the MOM and you should be closer to your job in case of an emergency with the kids so if someone must be sacrificed....let it be your husband.

All the best in your move!

Old 11-30-2007, 11:08 AM

83 posts, read 326,011 times
one question for you??? why?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Westchester County