U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Westchester County
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-11-2013, 01:41 PM

18 posts, read 35,537 times

Advertisements

My Husband & I are having heart failure over this...haha but We have 4 young children and have decided we need to relocate from queens to Westchester for the schools/sports ect. We are thinking Armonk, Bedford, somers, Pleasantville??? our issues are....we are having a hard time with the more "rual" settings. I want a street where there is a cul-de-sak and my neighbors are close enough that all the kids can go out and play. We can't handle being in a house and not being able to see my neighbors house, that's too secluded for us. We are also a bit nervous about some of these areas because what we were told was they are "very wealthy" areas and because we are middle to upper middle class, some of the parents may not do play dates with us and can be snooty. I know this is total hear say and sounds ridiculous to me....however, I don't want to put my kids in an environment where its difficult for them to make friends or have them felt like outcasts. I guess I should state our budget, its up to $850k with taxes lower than $20k. I guess in a nut shell, we are looking for a welcoming community where the schools are excellent without putting a ton of pressure on the kids to perform (this is why I left out Chappaqua). Sports and the variety of sports are also important, the schools in queens do not offer much in this category. I hope someone can shed some light on the topic because after a few trips up there we are just becoming discouraged.
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message

Old 11-11-2013, 06:34 PM

2,521 posts, read 6,118,093 times
Bedford Village ("The Farms") and Katonah seem like they'd qualify. Both are much nicer than Somers or Pleasantvile IMO and there are lots of areas where you can see your neighbor. It's not all estates and Martha Stewart, far from it. If you can be there at all you won't get the snootiness stuff, that's really much more of a southern Westchester thing. Schools are better than good and also diverse (Fox Lane, anyway) compared to Chappaqua. Avoid Armonk though, see other threads about that, it's a category all its own.

Old 11-11-2013, 06:41 PM

51 posts, read 134,520 times
Pleasantville would fit you best for what you desire in the post...search the boards for more info on this. Armonk would be #2. Otherwise enjoy the woods, and driving around to all 4 kids sporting events up in Northern Westchester.

Old 11-11-2013, 07:46 PM

2,521 posts, read 6,118,093 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrPleasantville View Post
Pleasantville would fit you best for what you desire in the post... Armonk would be #2.
Everybody seems to love Pleasantville, though for the life of me I don't know why. Maybe it's the commute, and that doesn't matter for me. BUT, more controversial, is Armonk. Thoroughly search the board for Armonk before taking this suggestion at face value.

Old 11-11-2013, 08:00 PM

425 posts, read 1,093,417 times
I live in Armonk. Its probably not what you are looking for. However, in the year plus we have been here my son has made somre great friends (and so have we)...mostly because my wife is very friendly and people gravitate toward her..BUT some can be very materialistic and not so friendly...much is a facade and when you get to know these folks they are fine...Or maybe we are one of them and don't want to admit it..

Katonah and Bedford you will get more for you money than Pleasantville but they are also more rural. Generally speaking, taxes lower as well. Fox Lane (Bedford) schools are diverse due to minority population in Mount Kisco -- not a bad thing as far as I am concerned. Somers is nice too -- maybe less culture shock there coming from Queens...but its pretty rural as well..

If you are looking for a really nice neighborhood with great homes at a reasonable price and don't mind a bit of a commute, take a look at Michelle Estates in Cross River. You can find a nice home in 800-900 range..Katonah Schools (In fact it is right next to John Jay HS) - It may be a bit too rural for you however...

Good Luck

Last edited by john70; 11-11-2013 at 08:14 PM..

Old 11-12-2013, 06:22 AM

7,142 posts, read 10,681,289 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kletter1mann View Post
Everybody seems to love Pleasantville, though for the life of me I don't know why. Maybe it's the commute, and that doesn't matter for me. BUT, more controversial, is Armonk. Thoroughly search the board for Armonk before taking this suggestion at face value.
It might be the Jacob Burns theater.

Old 11-12-2013, 07:10 AM

116 posts, read 344,618 times
Pleasantville is a hard place for me to get a read on. My impression is that the downtown doesn't offer much, apart from the theater, and overall feels rundown, but the schools and homes right in the middle of town are pretty. The schools aren't "the best" (although that doesn't mean they aren't great), yet the taxes are really high and the home prices aren't exactly low. There's a lot of traffic for a "walking town". But the people who live there do seem to love it, so there must be more than meets the eye.

Old 11-12-2013, 08:47 AM

15 posts, read 27,750 times
We spent the last few months looking all over Westchester with similar requirements. Although we've decided that we're not quite ready to make the move, we really Pleasantville best. It's a really compact, beautiful town, very walkable, felt much less sleepy than other places, with a decent number of stores and restaurants. We found it incredibly friendly and overall really liked the vibe.

Old 11-12-2013, 10:15 AM

83 posts, read 154,809 times
Have you visited Katonah? You could find something in the village or near it for your budget. Great neighborhoods, very family oriented, great schools, fun little downtown. We moved there and love it, everyone is really nice and welcoming. There always activities for the kids whether they are infants or older, at the library, museum of art, etc. In the summer there are family concerts at Caramoor and the town park and pool up on the hill are perfect.
Holidays are a blast for families as well! We had our first Halloween this year and it was hilarious. The town shuts down one of the streets and it's basically like a block party. I have never seen so many kids and families walking around. One house had a live band, there are lines of kids waiting to get candy, everyone is dressed up, and the houses are all decorated. We heard one little boy say to his mom, "Thanks for bringing me to Katonah for Halloween mom!"
We had similar thoughts to AliciaN about Pleasantville. It seemed like everyone was driving everywhere, it was very busy and the downtown felt old. We didn't like the feel of it. But that's just our opinion, I'm sure it is a great town, Katonah was a better fit for us.
Good luck with your search!

Old 11-12-2013, 10:23 AM

7,142 posts, read 10,681,289 times
Agree that Katonah's downtown is nicer than P-Ville's IMO. As a heads up though, I have a coworker who lives there and he leaves the house at 6am before kids awake to make it to the office in WTC by 830am, and leaves work at 430pm to be home in time to put them to bed. Also don't know if they have houses in cul-de-sacs like P-Ville.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Westchester County