U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Westchester County
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-17-2013, 07:58 AM

12,119 posts, read 31,953,016 times

Advertisements

I currently live in Riverdale and am considering investigating studio apts in the area of Palmer Rd on the Yonkers/Bronxville border (Parkview Avenue nr the Bronx River Pkwy). I already have a contact at Houlihan Lawrence that i am planning to call. Are studios common in those complexes? Do you have to get on a waiting list by establishing residence for parking spaces at the apartments?

my FICO scores are a little over 800 and i have a great, long rental history.

on the debit side my annual salary is probably lower than the average for that area and I am of the Jewish faith. could this be an issue for that area which may not have many Jews?
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-18-2013, 06:42 AM

67 posts, read 174,197 times
Several buildings in that area have studio apartments (26 and 45 W. Pondfield, 270, 280 and 294 Bronxville Road, 900 Palmer Road, for example). Unless the apartment comes with a deeded parking space, which is extremely rare, you will have to get on a waiting list. Be prepared to wait for years. Residents of that neighborhood can get a parking permit for around $25/year, but it doesn't guarantee you a spot. There are plenty of spots to be found on the streets west of Bronxville Road & north of Palmer Road.

The fact that you're Jewish will not make a difference whether or not a co-op will approve you; your financials are the key. Where did you get the idea that this area does not have many Jews?

Good luck in your search!

Old 11-18-2013, 10:13 AM

58 posts, read 226,121 times
There's a long-standing view that Bronxville has been anti-Semitic. I don't know how true that is today; but the Palmer Road/Bronxville/Yonkers area is nonetheless very different from "The Village". Having lived in a co-op in that area for many years, I would agree with MizMamie that the key would be your financials.

Old 11-18-2013, 11:08 AM

thanks so much. a few times i have seen things about anti-semitism but this is only what i read and it wasn't necessarily the gospel truth. and it does sees seem that Palmer rd would be more mixed than the actual village. currently i park on the street in central Riverdale so the availability of free parking would be great inthe streets you mention. is it really plentiful if it is that would be very important

and thanks for the addresses it would help when i call the agent at HL

Old 11-18-2013, 11:12 AM

ill bet my car insurance would be less than it is in Riverdale. would that area carry the Bronxville zip code or Yonkers? what is the border? Kimball Avenue?

Old 11-18-2013, 11:14 AM

what about those little apartments on Midland Avenue below Kraft Ave as you approach the overpass to Yonkers? rentals there?

Old 11-18-2013, 11:53 AM

67 posts, read 174,197 times
The area the OP is interested in uses a Bronxville 10708 zip code. I lived in the area for many years and always was able to find a parking spot in the residential area I mentioned. It's only a few minutes' walk to the co-op buildings. Finding a spot after a snow storm is another story, though!

Old 11-18-2013, 12:30 PM

i would like a change. ive been in central Riverdale for 22 yrs. its a fine area with lots of trees and homes but there's no comparison with Bronxville. my credit and rental history will get me in but i worry about my income being too low. my first landlord asked for a bank statement indicating cash availability, my second just asked for 12 cancelled rent receipts and claimed my salary was very good but i doubt Bronxville real estate mgt is that informal. I wonder if Bronxville Mgt companies even use the "make 40 times what the rent is"

Old 11-18-2013, 11:20 PM

10,918 posts, read 29,652,166 times
In the village, things tend to be different than in the P.O. zone, mostly because the village buildings have co-op boards that are not as friendly. There are some rental buildings, like Avalon, where 1BRs start around $3800 or so. If in Yonkers, remember that you have to pay the 10% income tax surcharge annually. A good broker should be able to sort out the particulars for individual buildings. If in doubt as to the jurisdiction, check the Census Department's American Fact Finder.

American FactFinder - Search

To search, select geographies, and then the address tab in the window that pops up. Enter the street, number, city, state and zip code. The data will give you the basic information of the address by town/village, school district, etc.

City-Data Terms of Service
City-Data FAQs

Old 11-19-2013, 05:46 AM

would the addresses provided above yesterday (the Bronxville Rd /Palmer Rd/W Pondfield Rd addresses) be Yonkers or Bronxville? the Avalon is inside the village or off Palmer Rd?

the Yonkers/Bronxville red tape stuff makes a red flag go up in my head as does the parking issue. they say i can buy a parking sticker for $25/ year but it wouldn't guarantee me a spot. would this be for one of the bldgs outside the village or is it some kind of village sticker? is Bronxville in the town of Eastchester? would i still be able to continue my Cablevision service (phone, internet, TV) in Bronxville?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Westchester County