Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Westchester County
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-02-2014, 07:40 AM

786 posts, read 823,876 times

Advertisements

46 Chapel St, Greenwich, CT 06831 - Home For Sale and Real Estate Listing - realtor.com®

An Unaddressed Greenwich, CT 06830 New Home for Sale - realtor.com®

15 Rex St, Greenwich, CT 06831 - Home For Sale and Real Estate Listing - realtor.com®

An Unaddressed Greenwich, CT 06831 New Home for Sale - realtor.com®

165 Pine St, Greenwich, CT 06830 - Home For Sale and Real Estate Listing - realtor.com®
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-02-2014, 08:33 AM

581 posts, read 1,303,328 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by john70 View Post
Thanks for proving my point ShouldHaveLeft914!

Good work --Your New Year's Day research highlights several dumps with no property (or no usable property) none of which look half way decent in staged realtor photos. I am especially fond of the home which has a portable space heater sitting in the middle of the bathroom floor w/ the toilet seat up too boot.... Thats a winner!

FYI that last listing appears to sit on I-95. Must be lovely!
LOL, you're clearly a high maintenance whiny little brat.
These places are hardly dumps.

The home with a space heater is totally renovated.
Did you happen to notice that as you nitpicked looking for every little flaw?
It's almost an acre.
Not enough for your putting green, my little princess?

I feel sorry for your wife.
You must be a nightmare in every aspect of your pointless life.

Quote:
Originally Posted by john70 View Post
Show me a listing in Cos Cob, Glenville or Riverside for $900,00 that is not a fixer upper that is less than 2000 square feet. I looked in Greenwich two years ago and there was nothing "nice" for less than 1.8M. Maybe things have changed, but I doubt it.
Fixer upper? No yard?
Stop using the word "decent" when you really mean a pristine Toll Brothers McMansion, you latte addicted drama queen.
Buy some tools and learn to be a man. Your wife will thank you.

BeerisGood, those houses are perfectly fine for normal people, but will not cut it for out little princess, John70.
LOL, I can see him balling like a 5 year old if he had to live in one of those perfectly nice homes.
"I want a 3 acre yard!! Wahhhhhh! I want 3000 sq ft. Wahhhhhhh! It's near a big scary road!!! Wahhhhhhh!"

Old 01-02-2014, 06:33 PM

425 posts, read 1,213,054 times
Actually, I am a triathlete and 2nd degree black belt - but hope you now feel better about yourself.

Old 01-02-2014, 06:58 PM

105 posts, read 330,609 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Autum1031 View Post
I'm considering applying for a position at IBM headquarters and my jaw dropped when I saw the cost of housing in the area. I will not be applying for some highly paid IT job; it's a unique position. I haven't yet seen any salary guidelines but I can't imagine it would be any more than 90-100K, and that would be *very* high for my profession.

I'd be moving with my husband and a 2 yr old son. Husband does not work in a high paid profession, typically manufacturing, and might be a "stay at home" for awhile until we figure out preschool. Here in the Midwest his income is typically around 30-40K at the absolute highest.

I'm not even sure if it's worth applying to the job if there isn't a somewhat affordable place to live nearby. Any suggestions?!

(The irony being I am about to turn down a position based in San Francisco because of the cost of living...I was excited to see this job about to become available and then realized it was just as bad!)
With regard to the OP. We moved from the midwest to Westchester County 2 yrs ago and if you can't tell from my previous post, it's a big struggle. The cost of living is at least 3-4x's more. Everything is more expensive except our water bill. Natural gas lines to heat your home are minimal, so plan on $4K+/yr to heat your home on oil. The good thing is that the your position is in Somers which is one of the lower property tax towns as it is not on a train line. The other great thing about your position in Somers is that you could take advantage of it's close proximity to towns like Ridgefield/Danbury in CT with lower taxes, good schools (google recent Wall Street Journal article) and a lifestyle that is similar to the midwest with regards to shopping/grocery stores, rec centers, etc.. You also will get more of an updated house for your $ in CT than in Westchester county, renovating anything in Westchester is costly.

One major adjustment for us in Westchester is we have to travel in different different directions to get to our mainstream stores like Costco, Target, Trader Joe's, the mall, Marshall's, etc...And be prepared to pay for parking in the main county city of White Plains to do anything. Even grocery shop, watch a movie.

All that said, it IS very lovely here, and the winters are milder, the city offers wonderful opportunities for day trips. It's also very close to all the other NE states, so traveling up and down the coast is very easy.

Old 02-11-2014, 11:56 AM

184 posts, read 338,734 times
Thanks, minymom, and the others who replied to my question. It took forever but the job finally posted recently, so I'm back into research mode! Your suggestions will make my research a lot easier.

Old 02-22-2014, 07:08 AM

4 posts, read 5,505 times
I commute from exit 1 Danbury to the Armonk area everyday 25-40 min depending on traffic. It's not bad considering the cost of living is so much cheaper. there is no way we could have afforded a house in Westchester. Somers would be a much better commute and give you more options of lower priced places to look. I had sticker shock when I first came out here coming from the Pacific Northwest, but it's definitely doable.

Old 02-22-2014, 07:48 AM

425 posts, read 1,213,054 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by recentwalnut View Post
I commute from exit 1 Danbury to the Armonk area everyday 25-40 min depending on traffic. It's not bad considering the cost of living is so much cheaper. there is no way we could have afforded a house in Westchester. Somers would be a much better commute and give you more options of lower priced places to look. I had sticker shock when I first came out here coming from the Pacific Northwest, but it's definitely doable.
Agree - we go to Danbury area often and it takes us about a half hour from Armonk to Stew Leonards/mall...traffic always moves but I imagine Danbury gets congested during rush hour. It seems exit from 684 to 84 can also get backed up but nothing terrible.

Old 02-22-2014, 12:56 PM

4 posts, read 5,505 times
Yes, 84 can get backed up sometimes. As you said nothing terrible, but on the few occasions it is bad it doesn't take very much extra time to take exit 10 instead and Mill Plain. 684 is also quite congested some mornings, it usually always keeps moving though.

Old 05-07-2015, 08:20 AM

1 posts, read 1,005 times
Default Communte from Danbury to Armonk

Hi, I am moving from Brazil to work between Armonk and Somers. Also my husband at first won't be working so also wanted to be in a place that he would have things to do

Any suggestions?

Old 05-08-2015, 03:09 PM

5,559 posts, read 4,628,272 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by carolinarc View Post
Hi, I am moving from Brazil to work between Armonk and Somers. Also my husband at first won't be working so also wanted to be in a place that he would have things to do

Any suggestions?
I am moving from Chicago to Stamford, Ct. In a few weeks. I made my rounds of most of the towns and cities in the Metro NYC area. Without knowing your budget or what you are looking for, you will probably want to stay near a Metro train line so your husband can get into Manhattan. As for Westchester/Connecticut cities and towns, there are many things to do in the area if your husband has a car. Probably the most walkable cities and towns are White Plains, Port Chester, Tarrytown, Greenwich, and Stamford. Of you are considering renting, I found Stamford to have the largest inventory with the best prices which is why we chose to live there.

Hope this helps.

Rich
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Westchester County