Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Westchester County
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-16-2013, 10:34 PM

184 posts, read 335,946 times

Advertisements

I'm considering applying for a position at IBM headquarters and my jaw dropped when I saw the cost of housing in the area. I will not be applying for some highly paid IT job; it's a unique position. I haven't yet seen any salary guidelines but I can't imagine it would be any more than 90-100K, and that would be *very* high for my profession.

I'd be moving with my husband and a 2 yr old son. Husband does not work in a high paid profession, typically manufacturing, and might be a "stay at home" for awhile until we figure out preschool. Here in the Midwest his income is typically around 30-40K at the absolute highest.

I'm not even sure if it's worth applying to the job if there isn't a somewhat affordable place to live nearby. Any suggestions?!

(The irony being I am about to turn down a position based in San Francisco because of the cost of living...I was excited to see this job about to become available and then realized it was just as bad!)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-17-2013, 05:57 AM

156 posts, read 302,969 times
It depends on your housing budget of course and your willingness to commute. Knee jerk response is parts of White Plains since you said "city".

Old 12-17-2013, 07:44 AM

686 posts, read 1,758,760 times
All your concerns are valid, and I applaud you for thinking through these things *before* you apply.

One note of caution: Though a job might be advertised as "IBM Armonk", be absolutely certain about the location of the job. You don't want to find out later that the job is actually in Somers or Yorktown. I imagine you have verified this already, but doesn't hurt to check again, because the location significantly impacts both housing and transportation. As you have found out, there are virtually no inexpensive housing options in Armonk itself for a family with just one salary income (and not much else like dividends and bonuses).

See if you can find out if IBM operates a shuttle from a Metro North station to the Armonk location. Or, fix housing in a town you might live in and then figure out if the commute and the expenses are worth. Remember that highways 128, 120, 22, 684 are the only ways in to and out of IBM Armonk, and the nearby lakes make commute from the west and south-west rather long. The morning commute on 684 from the north (driving on 684 South) can be a hassle.

BTW, IBM might provide you help with finding an apartment as part of relocation package. *If* this benefit is provided, you will work with a realtor who will shortlist apartments to your criteria, make appointments to see apartments, and drive you to those appointments. You pay nothing for this service.

Good luck.

Old 12-17-2013, 07:58 AM

222 posts, read 537,514 times
Whatever you husband does in the Midwest for 30-40 will probably translate to 60-80 in Westchester. Also, I wouldn't sell yourself short at IBM -- 100k isn't very "high" for many roles there.

As for your original question: yes, you're going to get some sticker shock as Westchester is extremely expensive, especially Armonk itself. However, considering you'll be commuting to Armonk and not NYC you can look to much more affordable areas in northern Westchester, CT, or even Putnam county.

Old 12-17-2013, 11:00 AM

184 posts, read 335,946 times
Sezzam, your point was absolutely spot on. I spoke with the person who is leaving the job I am considering, (we are a small, tight knit profession, and most of us know each other) and he confirmed the job is actually in Somers. He also gave me suggestions for relatively affordable towns in the area and what his commute is like.

(I'm not purposely trying to be cryptic by not naming the profession--it's just super, super specialized and I try not to identify myself on public forums. It could definitely identify me to specific people).

The job won't be posted until after Jan 1st but I really like to do my research before I apply! I wish I had done that for the San Fran job I referenced earlier. Would have saved myself a lot of trouble.

Old 12-18-2013, 06:13 AM

686 posts, read 1,758,760 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Autum1031 View Post
Sezzam, your point was absolutely spot on. I spoke with the person who is leaving the job I am considering, (we are a small, tight knit profession, and most of us know each other) and he confirmed the job is actually in Somers. He also gave me suggestions for relatively affordable towns in the area and what his commute is like.
Glad you have the clarity. I have seen way too many people mistake job locations and make what-turn-out-to-be-poor choices.

Good luck with your search.

Old 12-18-2013, 01:11 PM

4,787 posts, read 11,691,528 times
You could also look around the Danbury, CT area. Its not far from Somers and property taxes in CT are far less than Westchester.

Old 12-18-2013, 05:04 PM

425 posts, read 1,206,542 times
Take a look in Putnam County as well, Somers is right on the Putnam border - it you get deep into Putnam its much cheaper - although not mid-west cheap by any means. CT has lower taxes but the commute will be tougher as the Danbury area gets pretty jammed up traffic wise... Still quite doable to Somers.

Old 12-18-2013, 08:10 PM

2,619 posts, read 7,384,772 times
A lot of IBM commuters in the Danbury area for good prices, taxes and quality inventory.

Old 12-18-2013, 11:12 PM

796 posts, read 1,744,014 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by willow wind View Post
You could also look around the Danbury, CT area. Its not far from Somers and property taxes in CT are far less than Westchester.
I've always been under the impression that CT overall has lower property taxes than NY but much higher upfront home prices, especially in the Greenwich area. Is that true?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Westchester County