U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Westchester County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Old 12-17-2013, 01:32 PM
38 posts, read 28,378 times
Reputation: 30


Convoluted question really
Currently living in LI, renting , with one child in CPSE , not much improvement . Rent agreement until June 2014
Planning to move to Westchester for school year 2014 ,for September start hopefully as husband works there , currently I am not employed

I know when we started in CPSE , we had to enroll with the school district as early as March to get all the paperwork and school allocated
How does it work if you move from another county, though its still within NY
Will I have to rent a place as early as March to ensure he gets a spot ?
Does anyone know ?
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message

Old 12-20-2013, 05:19 AM
166 posts, read 342,861 times
Reputation: 106
I talked to one special ed teacher from Westport, CT and she mentioned that as long as you have IEP, they will continue that IEP until your next meeting. This is across the board, even if you move across the country. If your IEP isn't great, you will have to live with it for a while, but you can always call for new IEP meeting once you settle down, but do not expect much for about a year. They usually evaluate the child once the child starts with them. Then comes funding issue and finally the services.

Frankly, if you are in CPSE, you might as well start thinking about getting services privately. I am yet to come across any school district that offers excellent services to CPSE kids. If your child is on lower functioning end of the disability, you may have to think differently. You will not like this statement, because you are a mother of a child. I have been looking closely in this special needs thing since a friend of mine moved to Westchester. His kid is high functioning ASD, meeting a lot of folks, but seems to me, all fanfare is only for EI, once you are in CPSE, you are at the mercy of school district, but still they are not as good as private therapists. You pay through your nose, but you know what you are getting for the money you pay.

Is there any particular reason, apart from the job, you would like to move to Westchester. I found there are a lot of services on Long Island, many are not even available in Westchester (and those available, have steep price tags).
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Westchester County
Similar Threads

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2022, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Contact Us - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37 - Top