Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Westchester County
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-29-2013, 08:11 PM

65 posts, read 145,997 times

Advertisements

Metro north.
Really very Jewish? As in non Jews not welcome?

Thanks for the tip
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-30-2013, 02:20 AM

55 posts, read 134,506 times
Not in the least bit.

You should look at Rye, which is on the L.I. Sound and very close to Connecticut. Greenwich, Ct., which is around 45 minutes to GCT, also warrants a look.

Last edited by DickCheney2016; 12-30-2013 at 02:29 AM..

Old 12-30-2013, 09:17 AM

2,619 posts, read 7,032,154 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by London2014 View Post
Metro north.
Really very Jewish? As in non Jews not welcome?

Thanks for the tip
Anybody is welcome if you can pay the price of admission. To be clear, Jews are not the majority of the population in Scarsdale. They do, however, make up a much larger slice than the other towns mentioned and there's a corresponding impact on the prevailing culture. It's no different than if a town were 40% Irish or 40% Chinese etc. When one block is that big it tends to dominate. The other religious/ethnic blocks, and whatever values they possess, are less visible.

As to what that "culture" is..... well, search this forum. Scarsdale gets a lot of attention, some good, some bad. The Urban Dictionary is always a good jumping off point. Then compare with Bronxville and Rye.

Old 12-30-2013, 11:30 AM

293 posts, read 886,401 times
Quote:
1. Which towns do you recommend? Will need the following;
-Within 1 hour commute of GCT.
-Either an excellent non sectarian public school or a non sectarian private school.
-Safety. Low crime rates.
-Some demographic diversity would be nice.
You need to keep to southern westchester for the shortest commute. In your price range, all will fit the bill in terms of good schools at the elementary school level, except for Yonkers and Mount Vernon. All are safe. Diversity - Westchester isn't very to be honest. That said, you won't feel out of place as a person of South Asian descent. There's a somewhat more prominent international community in Larchmont and Mamaroneck, probably due to the French School in town.

Quote:
2. How do I get a nanny/ housekeeper full time, not live in? Will it cost more than $2000 a month.
Probably more than $2000 - you have to assume at least $15/hour, and for three kids, maybe more. You can go through an agency (which is bigger bucks), find one online through Care.com or sittercity.com. Or ask around at playgrounds once you find your place - most nannies have friends they can refer.

Quote:
3. What to look out for in houses? (Slopes, floods, neighbourhoods,quality of fittings, heating)
-Budget will most likely be between $7500 and $7800.
-Need min 4 bedrooms.
My guess is the biggest limiting factor for you will be the inventory of rentals once you narrow down which towns you want to focus on, so I'm not sure how much people can really advise you on the above until you have a place identified. Most houses have either gas or oil heat there are pros and cons for both. You can check online to see if a place is in a flood zone. Slopes? Do you mean the backyard? And neighborhood - again, since you're going to be limited to the available inventory, it makes more sense to ask once you've identified a few options.

Quote:
4. How are manhattan commuters getting to the station? (Walking, driving and parking?)
This totally depends on how close you live to the train station. If you do have to drive, make sure you factor in parking costs and the ability to get a parking permit.

I would take a look at some realty websites to get an idea of the kind of inventory is available - Houlihan Lawrence, Coldwell Banker, Julie B Fee/Southby's.

BTW, don't listen to all of the crap about Scarsdale. It's a lovely town, I know a lot of great families there. And there are some great amenities for kids - awesome library and probably the best town pool in lower westchester. The town pool alone would sell me if I was only coming for two years, because it's a great way to meet families.

Good luck.

Old 12-30-2013, 12:52 PM

7,296 posts, read 11,863,774 times
Also if you cannot stand "mixed use" do not live in southern Westchester (as wel as certain neighborhoods in northern Westchester).

Old 12-30-2013, 04:20 PM

55 posts, read 134,506 times
Quote:
Hi all
I have been lurking and have benefitted from many posts on this forum.

I will be moving with my husband, four year old, 18 month old and 4 month old to nyc from London ( previously lived in Amsterdam, Dubai, Spain and Ithaca).

-Husband needs a reasonable commute to Grand Central Terminal
-Daughter needs a fabulous non sectetrian school private or public as schooling is paid for.
- I need a full time housekeeper/ nanny. ( no one fancy with qualifications, my previous spoke no English and current had very little child are experience. But both became a lovely part of our family )

Questions
1. Which towns do you recommend? Will need the following;
-Within 1 hour commute of GCT.
-Either an excellent non sectarian public school or a non sectarian private school.
-Safety. Low crime rates.
-Some demographic diversity would be nice.

2. How do I get a nanny/ housekeeper full time, not live in? Will it cost more than $2000 a month.
3. What to look out for in houses? (Slopes, floods, neighbourhoods,quality of fittings, heating)
-Budget will most likely be between $7500 and $7800.
-Need min 4 bedrooms.

4. How are manhattan commuters getting to the station? (Walking, driving and parking?)
5. What 7 seater (plus spacious boot ) car do you recommend? What 2nd commuter (to station) do you recommend?

Thank u in advance
PS: I didn't see the part about the nanny. Mine costs 3600 per month, and that's average in my area.

Old 12-30-2013, 07:34 PM

65 posts, read 145,997 times
Thank you sooooo much all!

ehmom[i]
Thank you for you detailed post. Very very useful. Appreciate it

forrest hill daddy
mi

Mixed use? Sorry not sure what you mean.

Thanks kletterman

That makes sense. I have no problem with any minority or majority. Only if it's so clanny that my daughter would be discriminated against. I'm not worried about paying the ticket price to fit in. Money shouldn't be an issue for us. But obviously British accents and brown skin we can't help.
Though I am sure my daughter will leave with an American one
The housekeeper / nanny prices are mad! London supposedly has the most expensive child are in the world. But this is madness. I won't be working so I need assistance. I will still be here with the kids. May not be worth my while to have a full time one if it's all per hour.

Old 12-30-2013, 07:56 PM

1 posts, read 2,012 times
Quote:
-Husband needs a reasonable commute to Grand Central Terminal
(...)
My wife and I moved to Irvington less than a year ago. I work in midtown west, and previously lived in Brooklyn and Princeton, NJ.

I currently have a 4 minute walk to the Irvington train station. The subway ride from Brooklyn was 10 minutes shorter, but on metro north I always get a seat, and I get internet (through my cell provider).

Walking to the station is much more pleasant than driving/parking (which is what I did for 2 years in Princeton). Also whenever I meet friends for drinks after work in manhattan I don't have to worry about driving when I get home.

I'd actually argue that taking a train from a station that's somewhat further away from GCT is preferable to a station that's closer, as you don't have to battle for seats in the morning... loads of people get on at Dobbs Ferry or Hastings, and many end up just standing.

Quote:
You can look for aquifers/floodplains/etc. at http://giswww.westchestergov.com/ and/or https://www.municitygis.com/ .

Also, make sure the house has insulation - some of these old houses have none (we had loose-fill insulation blown into the walls before we moved in).

Old 12-30-2013, 08:32 PM

7,296 posts, read 11,863,774 times
Quote:
forrest hill daddy
mi

Mixed use? Sorry not sure what you mean.
Living close to commercial areas and dealing with the runoff effects like greater congestion on the roads.

Old 12-30-2013, 10:40 PM

425 posts, read 1,213,161 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kletter1mann View Post
Many people don't actually commute to NYC at all - rather to Stamford, Greenwich, WP etc. Those that do commute use metro north or drive - or have a driver. It's about 1 hr to GCS. And lots of SAHMs, nannies and au pairs. If you're talking about the guys living on the huge estates they do whatever the hell they want. There was one guy that commuted by helicopter till the town shut him down.
Was that Bloomberg?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Westchester County