Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Westchester County
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-19-2014, 05:44 PM

65 posts, read 145,977 times

Advertisements

Fab. Thank u
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-19-2014, 05:51 PM

What are the better parts of larchmont. Is mamaroneck the same?

Old 01-19-2014, 08:23 PM

866 posts, read 2,484,565 times
Look on a map for Chatsworth Ave and Larchmont Ave between the Post Road and Palmer Ave. There are sidewalks in that area that make it very walkable, and you've got shops and restaurants on Chatsworth and Larchmont near the Post Road and also up on Palmer. Also locate Murray Avenue School, and the area around there is great too.

Larchmont Manor is south of the Post Road and is considered quite posh. There are beautiful homes here, a beach, parks, and it is very walkable. The lots are tiny and quite on top of each other IMO, but it is a sought after (and expensive) neighborhood.

If you look just north and east of Larchmont Manor you will find Orienta, a neighborhood that is across the village line in Mamaroneck (look for Orienta Avenue). Mamaroneck's equivalent to the Manor, but with perhaps a more diverse housing stock and a slightly more rural feel (due to bigger lots and no side walks).

Old 01-20-2014, 06:47 AM

Thank u

Old 01-21-2014, 09:46 AM

25 posts, read 44,746 times
Each time we moved internationally we had a relocation consultant who should first drive you around and then show you available listing. Most listings will be on the MLS, unless the agent has specific knowledge of a listing coming up. Chances are, you will have to go through your relocation consultant (who is probably a licensed agent) in order to avoid paying fees yourself.

The company assigned relocation agent will also help with is getting the landlord information to substantiate that you are receiving a housing allowance, whether the company will be on the lease, and other items to smooth the process.

If you find a listing that looks interesting, I would just ask the relocation consultant to look into it for you. I would look on the internet all you want, but when it comes down to actually acting on a place I would advise with the company.

Old 01-21-2014, 04:54 PM

Default Opinions on Pelham please?

Oh my top three school districts have houses available but either 2 grand below my budget or 3 above. Be a shame not to use all of it.
What is Pelham like?
Crime rates seem higher than scarsdale and Ardsley etc. thanks again

Apologies for my random questions. I am just purely going by availability.

Old 01-21-2014, 07:10 PM

425 posts, read 1,213,054 times
Pelham is nice and lots of Pizza places...would not be one of my top five choices in Westchester however....close to The Bronx which contributes to higher crime rate...

Many communities in lower Westchester have higher crime rates, mainly attributable to car break ins, property crimes and vandalism, not violent crime...with Mount Vernon and certain areas of Yonkers and New Rochelle as notable exceptions.

Old 01-22-2014, 01:10 PM

2,440 posts, read 6,257,817 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by john70 View Post
Pelham is nice and lots of Pizza places...would not be one of my top five choices in Westchester however....close to The Bronx which contributes to higher crime rate...

Many communities in lower Westchester have higher crime rates, mainly attributable to car break ins, property crimes and vandalism, not violent crime...with Mount Vernon and certain areas of Yonkers and New Rochelle as notable exceptions.
Oh, please.

Most communities in lower Westchester have VERY LOW crime rates. CERTAIN SECTIONS of some communities have high crime rates. THE VAST MAJORITY of crime in lower Westchester County is committed in the southwest corner of Yonkers, and the south side of Mount Vernon.

Old 01-22-2014, 04:10 PM

Thanks buys. I did notice that on the crime maps. Well hopefully in the next few months when the weather gets better there will be more movement in the housing rental market. It's hard as I can only go online awhile I eagerly await the exact move date

Old 01-22-2014, 06:31 PM

425 posts, read 1,213,054 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rubygreta View Post
Oh, please.

Most communities in lower Westchester have VERY LOW crime rates. CERTAIN SECTIONS of some communities have high crime rates. THE VAST MAJORITY of crime in lower Westchester County is committed in the southwest corner of Yonkers, and the south side of Mount Vernon.
Thanks for proving my point. Crime rates in lower westchester are higher than in northern westchester due its proximity to crime ridden ghettos like Mount Vernon, Southwest Yonkers, and large portions of The Bronx. They mainly victimize those in their own communities when it comes to violent crime, however, when it comes to property crimes they travel to nice areas to find nicer stuff.

Last edited by john70; 01-22-2014 at 07:21 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Westchester County