Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Westchester County
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-20-2014, 03:32 PM

7 posts, read 10,921 times

Advertisements

Ok, the dream. A home where we can have some type of hiking trails in our backyard within a 30-40 minute commute from where we work in Eastchester (Westchester County.) Some possibilities we see are around Ward Pound Reservation, the Westchester Wilderness Walk in Pound Ridge, or the Mianus River Gorge area around Bedford Hills/North Stamford. We are nature lovers and would love to see our 1 year old daughter and any other future children have a close experience with nature without needing to drive to it if possible.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-20-2014, 04:37 PM

796 posts, read 1,755,585 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by peaceseeker6 View Post
Ok, the dream. A home where we can have some type of hiking trails in our backyard within a 30-40 minute commute from where we work in Eastchester (Westchester County.) Some possibilities we see are around Ward Pound Reservation, the Westchester Wilderness Walk in Pound Ridge, or the Mianus River Gorge area around Bedford Hills/North Stamford. We are nature lovers and would love to see our 1 year old daughter and any other future children have a close experience with nature without needing to drive to it if possible.
What is your price range?

Old 09-20-2014, 05:32 PM

7 posts, read 10,921 times
We can afford a 1 million dollar house maximum.

Old 09-20-2014, 06:02 PM

2,619 posts, read 7,027,576 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by peaceseeker6 View Post
We can afford a 1 million dollar house maximum.
You seem to already know the answer: Pound Ridge and Bedford. Maybe South Salem.

Old 09-21-2014, 06:41 AM

2,440 posts, read 6,255,436 times
Pocantico Hills, around Rockefeller State Park, would be perfect. But good luck finding a house there. Very limited inventory. Perhaps you would considerer homes that are a few minute drive from trails?

As soon as the leaves change, hike Rockefeller State Park. It is fantastic.

Old 09-21-2014, 12:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rubygreta View Post
Pocantico Hills, around Rockefeller State Park, would be perfect. But good luck finding a house there. Very limited inventory. Perhaps you would considerer homes that are a few minute drive from trails?

As soon as the leaves change, hike Rockefeller State Park. It is fantastic.
Not sure why ruby would suggest Pocantico Hills if there's so little inventory. Anyway, in Bedford and PR there's lots of inventory in the $800k-$1mio range. You'll get 4 or 5 bedrooms, 3+ baths, 3000+ sq ft and at least 1 acre, probably 2 and often more (not likely to be over 4). Maybe a pool. Both towns are peppered with smaller and less known preserves, conservation land, etc. It takes me about 35 minutes to get from Pound Ridge to New Rochelle (though I don't commute during rush hour).

Old 09-21-2014, 05:43 PM

2,440 posts, read 6,255,436 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kletter1mann View Post
Not sure why ruby would suggest Pocantico Hills if there's so little inventory. Anyway, in Bedford and PR there's lots of inventory in the $800k-$1mio range. You'll get 4 or 5 bedrooms, 3+ baths, 3000+ sq ft and at least 1 acre, probably 2 and often more (not likely to be over 4). Maybe a pool. Both towns are peppered with smaller and less known preserves, conservation land, etc. It takes me about 35 minutes to get from Pound Ridge to New Rochelle (though I don't commute during rush hour).
I suggested it because at any given time there might be a house on the market, right?

Old 09-21-2014, 07:07 PM

274 posts, read 297,858 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rubygreta View Post
I suggested it because at any given time there might be a house on the market, right?
You have to excuse Kletterman, 80% of what he posts is condescending. He never got the memo on how to speak to others.

I bet he gets invited to a lot of BBQs

Hey OP, check out the area in northern Westchester called TeaTown. It's part of several towns and has tons of woods/hiking.

Good luck.

Old 09-21-2014, 08:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by xTiberiusx View Post
You have to excuse Kletterman, 80% of what he posts is condescending. He never got the memo on how to speak to others.

I bet he gets invited to a lot of BBQs

Hey OP, check out the area in northern Westchester called TeaTown. It's part of several towns and has tons of woods/hiking.

Good luck.
My god, I do so love the interwebs.

Old 09-27-2014, 02:09 AM

21,616 posts, read 31,180,666 times
North Salem, Bedford in NY, or Weston, New Canaan, Wilton, Ridgefield in CT. Keep in mind while house prices are high in CT, taxes will be about half what they are in Westchester.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Westchester County