Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Westchester County
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-24-2014, 11:01 PM

7 posts, read 11,645 times

Advertisements

I am a professional in my early 30's and will be getting a job in tarrytown and looking for some decent apts that are around 1000-1400. any advice on what city to live in that avoids traffic and use the public transportation? Also, does the rent include any utlilites? I also saw that yonkers was pretty cheap and is that a far commute?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-25-2014, 06:51 AM

2,440 posts, read 6,255,436 times
Where in Tarrytown is your job? Do you want to live in an apartment building, or will you be open to renting in a 2-family house? My suggestion is that because of the ridiculously tight rental market, you should be open to anything.

You can find a place where traffic is not an issue. The vast majority of people drive to work in Tarrytown.

Old 01-25-2014, 06:53 AM

Here is a sample:

Tarrytown Apartments For Rent and other Tarrytown Rentals — Trulia.com

Old 01-25-2014, 07:05 AM

7,296 posts, read 11,858,718 times
Is your job near Tarrytown main street and do you plan to walk from the metro north stop? It's a walkable but long distance and on an uphill street. If you can't find an apartment in Tarrytown itself, look at Riverdale which has its own train stop along the same Hudson line.

Old 01-25-2014, 09:22 AM

My job looks like it is near tarrytown lakes at sawmill pkwy. So Riverdale is a saferb place than Yonkers? What if I commute from the city?

Old 01-25-2014, 09:24 AM

Also I am looking for an apartment building that at least includes heat and other utilities if possible.

Old 01-25-2014, 01:41 PM

There is absolutely no reason to live in Riverdale, unless you want to be closer to Manhattan. Why give yourself a longer drive when there are closer options.

Your best bets are Tarrytown, Sleepy Hollow, Elmsford, Irvington, Dobbs Ferry and Hastings-on-Hudson.

Yonkers is a large city. Some areas would be less convenient for you. The areas near the Saw Mill are a mixed bag, ranging from awful to good. The northern part of Warburton Avenue would be good if you can find something.

If you want more for your money, head north to Ossining.

There are lots of modest detached 2-family houses that were built around 1900 in the area. Nothing special to look at, but generally safe. Typically, you pay electric, and the owner pays heat and water.

Old 01-25-2014, 01:42 PM

A very nice community just off the Saw Mill is Pleasantville. But I suspect there is not much available.

Old 01-25-2014, 03:26 PM

7,296 posts, read 11,858,718 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by westcoastprofessional View Post
My job looks like it is near tarrytown lakes at sawmill pkwy. So Riverdale is a saferb place than Yonkers? What if I commute from the city?
Can't say if Riverdale is safer than Yonkers but it is a well-appointed white collar neighborhood with many residents commuting to NYC through the Harlem line for work.

The good thing about Riverdale is that it has rentals are not tight and there is always a reasonable supply of good apartment listings in Craigslist to choose from. The more choices there are, the higher your chance of finding the best apartment for your budget.

Another advantage with Riverdale is that parts of it are walkable to amenities. It's no sweat if you get home late and you suddenly have to grab takeout, buy fresh food from a grocery/mom and pop or go to the gym on a weekend morning without having to take the car.

BTW your job location does not appear to be accessible by public transportation.

Old 01-25-2014, 04:08 PM

425 posts, read 1,212,763 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by westcoastprofessional View Post
I am a professional in my early 30's and will be getting a job in tarrytown and looking for some decent apts that are around 1000-1400. any advice on what city to live in that avoids traffic and use the public transportation? Also, does the rent include any utlilites? I also saw that yonkers was pretty cheap and is that a far commute?
If you are in your early thirties and single, consider White Plains.
Its only at 10 minute drive to Tarrytown and there is lots to do. I am not sure about the rental market however. If you need public transportation you can probably use the bus line if your office is located near route 119.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Westchester County