Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Westchester County
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-10-2013, 01:23 PM

1 posts, read 2,331 times

Advertisements

My husband and 4 month old son will be moving from Brooklyn to Chappaqua toward the end of the summer. We found a really cute house we love but I am a bit nervous based on some of the info on this website.

A few things I am looking for help with, or info on, include:

1. Right now in brooklyn I have some really great resources for new parents. Can anyone recommend resources/activities in Chappaqua for young families/first time parents? My husband will be the primary care giver for the first few years. Are there any full-time dad groups or parent groups that have daytime activities for babies/kids?

2. Is there a running club/group in Chappaqua?

3. I know the schools are among some of the best you can ask for as far as test scores and college prep, but what kind of creative programs are available for students? Does anyone know how much emphasis is put on creative outlets vs. just academic?

4. Just how competitive are the schools? Do you think kids feel extra pressure in this school district?

We are excited to move into our adorable little house...I just wanted to be prepared for the neighborhood! Thanks for any and all info!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-16-2013, 04:01 PM

2 posts, read 4,475 times
It's a wonderful town, great for the family with loads of things for the children. I'm fairly new myself, about 3 years now. My girls are a bit older but it's a great place for families. There are a number of town sponsored events as well. We moved from Queens but I grew up in Brooklyn. I don't know of any stay at home Dads groups but give Google a shot.

Take a look at the library web site to learn more about events. The library is wonderful, my girls love it, I take them every Saturday morning after a visit to the Farmers market. There are loads of things to get involved in just ask and don't be afraid to get active in something. It depends what you like, for example my wife is on the Chappaqua Garden club ( Chappaqua Garden Club ) and she is active in our church. Some recent town sponsored events are the summer concert series ( Recreation & Parks - Town of New Castle, New York ) and Millwood outdoor movies ( First Annual )

Schools are awesome - I've had Teachers e-mail and call me at home to let me know about an area in which my daughter was struggling. I haven't seen any extra pressure. I'm not particularly artistic but both of my children have what I would consider very good arts in school (certainly better than NYC schools) and one daughter has been in two plays that were very well done and professional.

Here is a sample from the Chappaqua Library Event page for Tuesday and Wednesday
- 10AM - All Day - great for a hot day, my girls have gone and they loved it lots of materials
- 11AM - Childrens Short films
- 4 PM - Butterfly Bonanza

Wednesday
9:30 AM Movers & Shakers story time
10:30 AM - Nursery Rhyme Time
11:30 AM - All Together Now story time
4:00 PM - Boomerangs

When you child gets older, the library has a summer reading club, they get their photo taken and posted in the Children's section, oh and they get a goodie bag.
Link to library events page
Chappaqua Library... - July 2013 | Calendar

Other good web pages
Chappaqua-Mount Kisco, NY Patch - Local news, community, sports, shopping, restaurants, things to do - good local news and events
The Chappaqua Daily Voice - more local news and events
Chappaqua - Pleasantville - Mt Kisco : Macaroni Kid
Home - Town of New Castle, New York - Town web site
Inside Chappaqua Magazine — The Magazine for New Castle and Beyond - Town magazine

I'm happy to help answer any other questions you may have or to provide more detail.

Len

Old 07-16-2013, 04:03 PM

2 posts, read 4,475 times
Default Brooklyn to Chappaqua: Other young families around

It's a wonderful town, great for the family with loads of things for the children. I'm fairly new myself, about 3 years now. My girls are a bit older but it's a great place for families. There are a number of town sponsored events as well. We moved from Queens but I grew up in Brooklyn. I don't know of any stay at home Dads groups but give Google a shot.

Take a look at the library web site to learn more about events. The library is wonderful, my girls love it, I take them every Saturday morning after a visit to the Farmers market. There are loads of things to get involved in just ask and don't be afraid to get active in something. It depends what you like, for example my wife is on the Chappaqua Garden club ( Chappaqua Garden Club ) and she is active in our church. Some recent town sponsored events are the summer concert series ( Recreation & Parks - Town of New Castle, New York ) and Millwood outdoor movies ( First Annual )

Schools are awesome - I've had Teachers e-mail and call me at home to let me know about an area in which my daughter was struggling. I haven't seen any extra pressure. I'm not particularly artistic but both of my children have what I would consider very good arts in school (certainly better than NYC schools) and one daughter has been in two plays that were very well done and professional.

Here is a sample from the Chappaqua Library Event page for Tuesday and Wednesday
- 10AM - All Day - great for a hot day, my girls have gone and they loved it lots of materials
- 11AM - Childrens Short films
- 4 PM - Butterfly Bonanza

Wednesday
9:30 AM Movers & Shakers story time
10:30 AM - Nursery Rhyme Time
11:30 AM - All Together Now story time
4:00 PM - Boomerangs

When you child gets older, the library has a summer reading club, they get their photo taken and posted in the Children's section, oh and they get a goodie bag.
Link to library events page
Chappaqua Library... - July 2013 | Calendar

Other good web pages
Chappaqua-Mount Kisco, NY Patch - Local news, community, sports, shopping, restaurants, things to do - good local news and events
The Chappaqua Daily Voice - more local news and events
Chappaqua - Pleasantville - Mt Kisco : Macaroni Kid
Home - Town of New Castle, New York - Town web site
Inside Chappaqua Magazine — The Magazine for New Castle and Beyond - Town magazine

I'm happy to help answer any other questions you may have or to provide more detail.

Len

Old 02-02-2014, 12:40 PM

6 posts, read 8,383 times
Default So???

Very curious how this move and adjustment worked out. Where were you in BK? Any notes on the differences in culture lifestyle etc?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Westchester County