Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Westchester County
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-04-2014, 04:56 PM

425 posts, read 1,213,321 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by beerisgood02 View Post
And the other two homes I listed? Again these are under 700k. He said there was NOTHING available under 800k.

Yet, I made his point for him? Confused.
The operative word you are conveniently leaving out is NICE.....NOTHING NICE. I suppose defintion of NICE is relative...maybe you are coming from the Grand Concourse?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-05-2014, 08:11 AM

786 posts, read 824,262 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by john70 View Post
The operative word you are conveniently leaving out is NICE.....NOTHING NICE. I suppose defintion of NICE is relative...maybe you are coming from the Grand Concourse?
You may have missed the link to the recently sold 3bdr/2ba single family homes in Greenwich. 217 results with beautiful homes under 700k.

These last few days haven't been kind to you with presumption, and conducting in an assumptious manner. I own a home in the Glenville section of Greenwich.

It's ok to admit you're wrong. Just this time, you'll have to do it twice.

Old 03-05-2014, 09:03 AM

83 posts, read 168,064 times
Quote:
You may have missed the link to the recently sold 3bdr/2ba single family homes in Greenwich. 217 results with beautiful homes under 700k.

These last few days haven't been kind to you with presumption, and conducting in an assumptious manner. I own a home in the Glenville section of Greenwich.

Haha you are funny. You are trying really hard to convince everyone that there are "cheap" houses in Greenwich. You are the opposite of DMA in Yorktown trying to convince everyone that there are expensive houses in his town.

Just go enjoy your cheap beautiful home with your neighbors that also found bargains. Your ranting and links aren't helping the OP, they aren't looking at houses under $700k.

Maybe start a new thread: "Come discuss all of the cheap beautiful housing in Greenwich with me."

Old 03-05-2014, 01:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hgeb View Post
Haha you are funny. You are trying really hard to convince everyone that there are "cheap" houses in Greenwich. You are the opposite of DMA in Yorktown trying to convince everyone that there are expensive houses in his town.

Just go enjoy your cheap beautiful home with your neighbors that also found bargains. Your ranting and links aren't helping the OP, they aren't looking at houses under $700k.

Maybe start a new thread: "Come discuss all of the cheap beautiful housing in Greenwich with me."
Convince, no. I simply gave you some facts, actually 217 of them.

Admitting you were wrong is all you needed to do. Facts are facts, penis head.

Old 03-05-2014, 04:56 PM

425 posts, read 1,213,321 times
Quote:

Maybe I am not wrong....$700k was not exactly our price point. I can't imagine what these $700k "beautiful" homes look like in person. We saw houses at 2Mil that I did not consider beautiful.
I assume by Glenville "section" you mean Byram as you did not say you own a home IN Glenville....You should have just moved into a town you can afford, like Portchester or Norwalk.

Old 03-05-2014, 11:13 PM

1 posts, read 1,634 times
My husband and I have lived in Tarrytown over most of the past 9 years (recently spent 2 years in London) and we are very happy here. We both worked in the city, so the commute was an important factor. Before my son was born, I worked at 50th/Park and my door-to-door was usually 50 minutes (similar to my coworkers coming in from Brooklyn). At least in Tarrytown the time it takes to go from your home to the train station is fairly quick and if you leave at a reasonable time in the morning parking is usually not an issue (village residents pay a much lower annual rate for station parking). Even though White Plains also has frequent express trains, it would probably take you at least 15 minutes or more to get to the station in morning traffic. Also, I agree with others about avoiding NJ Transit/Penn Station (I used to live in central NJ so I know this firsthand!).

We also like the diversity and vibe in Tarrytown compared to some of the other towns we looked into. Though technically I could walk to Main St, because of the hill it would be a real workout. I find it easier to park nearby and then just walk around everywhere. The restaurants are OK in general. Not great, and it's easy to get tired of them but I appreciate that there always seems to be something new popping up downtown and the quality is definitely better than when we first moved here.

We've found the people to be friendly and down to earth. Obviously there are exceptions but overall I think there is a real community feeling here that perhaps comes from the fact that the housing is clustered fairly close to downtown. It took us a while to find the house we were looking for, with our biggest complaint being the age of the homes. But we found one that was not too old and we basically renovated the entire thing and it is now perfect for our needs. Driving around I also see a number of very nice and spacious new homes built in the past 5 years.

As far as schools go, we've always heard that they are not the greatest (compared to Scarsdale, Bronxville, etc), but I'm not convinced they are bad either. It's true, there are a lot of ESL students and the test scores are lower but I prefer an educational environment for my child that contains socioeconomic diversity. Besides, I believe academic success is based more on parental involvement anyway. Parents I've spoken to seem happy with the schools and I've met a number of young families new to the area who seem optimistic for their own kids once they start school.

Good luck with your search and you can message me if you have specific questions about Tarrytown.

Old 03-06-2014, 06:13 AM

2,440 posts, read 6,259,290 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluesnowflake View Post
Before my son was born, I worked at 50th/Park and my door-to-door was usually 50 minutes (similar to my coworkers coming in from Brooklyn). At least in Tarrytown the time it takes to go from your home to the train station is fairly quick and if you leave at a reasonable time in the morning parking is usually not an issue (village residents pay a much lower annual rate for station parking).
You forgot to mention that unlike your cowokers from Brooklyn, on Metro North you get a seat and are not packed like a sardine in a subway/cattle car!

Old 03-22-2014, 11:25 PM

148 posts, read 531,701 times
mmmmm....Don't over estimate the service of metro north. They have plenty of issues and complaints that circle; frequent delays, unavailable seating, continious fair hikes, rude conductors, sanitary stations and bathrooms, and more recently (late last year), a deadly crash due to excessively high speeds, which left a lot of daily customers perplexed. At least on the subway you can always elect to wait for another in 5 or 10 minutes time!

Old 12-04-2014, 11:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by john70 View Post
Maybe I am not wrong....$700k was not exactly our price point. I can't imagine what these $700k "beautiful" homes look like in person. We saw houses at 2Mil that I did not consider beautiful.
I assume by Glenville "section" you mean Byram as you did not say you own a home IN Glenville....You should have just moved into a town you can afford, like Portchester or Norwalk.
Incorrect again. I own a home in Glenville, not Byram.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Westchester County