Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Westchester County
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-28-2014, 09:03 PM

1 posts, read 2,367 times

Advertisements

We are considering buying a condo in chappaqua (under 400k) which seems fine. It's nothing magical but we could make it work. Husband is a teacher and I stay home with our 1yo and freelance when I can (since child care is so expensive this worked best). We plan to have another child within a year. Eventually I'll go back to teaching too.

We have been looking for a place for a while in the westchester area but run into the same pitfalls every time. Coops don't take dogs anywhere, there are so many coops that are still walk ups, or rundown, or the coops are under 1100sf.

So this condo came along and it's a little bit more $ but we can do it with some family help.

My question is: do people in chappaqua in the gorgeous large homes look down on very very middle class families who live in the condo areas near the main shopping area? Is it a town divided by class? That's what we can't quite figure out. We want to feel like part of the community.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-01-2014, 05:39 AM

7,296 posts, read 11,864,950 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SheaBella View Post
My question is: do people in chappaqua in the gorgeous large homes look down on very very middle class families who live in the condo areas near the main shopping area? Is it a town divided by class? That's what we can't quite figure out. We want to feel like part of the community.
The short answer is "Yes", but that is true anywhere in America. You can live in a much more modest area but you also get more modest services and schools.

Old 03-01-2014, 06:04 AM

2,440 posts, read 6,259,290 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Forest_Hills_Daddy View Post
The short answer is "Yes", but that is true anywhere in America. You can live in a much more modest area but you also get more modest services and schools.
The short answer is "some." And those are the people you don't want to associate with anyway.

And you can live in a more modest area and get the exact same services and schools right next door. Try Pleasantville, a very nice community with no snob appeal and no snobs.

Old 03-01-2014, 07:11 AM

7,296 posts, read 11,864,950 times
I don't think Pleasantville has no snobs, and neither does Eastchester or Dobbs Ferry - you get lots of rich people there and lots more upper middle class.

From the OP's post (husband is a teacher, she is SAHM, buying today and not in 1980), their HH net worth will be below the average wherever town they settle so there will be lots of people who are wealthier than they are.

My favorite of all is NYC - where the richer families try to organize "inclusive" school and community events and activities that charge prices and fees that are too expensive for the poorer families to afford. "At least we invited them" is what they say.

Old 03-01-2014, 09:03 AM

7 posts, read 11,610 times
There are jerks everywhere. I've found that our friends who live in the condo areas of Chappaqua have a much closer community than our experience has been living in a middl'ish neighborhood where we've barely spoken with our next-door neighbors. There are some great people in this community across the socio-economic spectrum, just have to take your time finding them. Good luck to you.

Old 03-01-2014, 09:37 AM

425 posts, read 1,213,321 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jjm6a View Post
There are jerks everywhere. I've found that our friends who live in the condo areas of Chappaqua have a much closer community than our experience has been living in a middl'ish neighborhood where we've barely spoken with our next-door neighbors. There are some great people in this community across the socio-economic spectrum, just have to take your time finding them. Good luck to you.
I agree. Don't worry about what others think. Do what is best for your family. There are lots of nice down to earth people in Chappaqua - regardless of income..who will not judge you based upon the house you live in.

Old 03-03-2014, 09:48 AM

17 posts, read 26,281 times
I grew up in Chappaqua in a house about a mile from downtown, and I'll agree with rubygreta by saying that there are plenty of people in Chappaqua who live in big houses and have lots of money who are very genuine people. But unfortunately there are also some who are not quite as respectful and may come off as elitist or snobby. The key is to avoid those people. Walk into Lange's Deli, and you'll find everyone. Town employees, high school kids, people who live in the condos down the street, and people who live in expensive houses a bit further from town. That place is probably where you'll get the most community-like feel in Chappaqua. After living in Chappaqua for about 20 years, I can't remember the last time I went into Lange's and didn't see someone I knew.

So, in short, you may encounter people who are snobby, but it is entirely feasible to simply avoid them. You can form plenty of meaningful community relationships with those who live in the downtown area (which tends to be considered less wealthy than the areas outside of downtown), and in fact, living outside of downtown you are much less likely to get to know your neighbors very well (most streets do not have sidewalks).

Old 03-03-2014, 05:35 PM

425 posts, read 1,213,321 times
Quaker Tavern also..

Old 03-30-2015, 09:14 PM

2 posts, read 2,669 times
Totally do not sweat this. We have been here about 18 months, and have friends who live in massive houses, small houses and condo / townhouses. To the best of my knowledge...nobody cares. You will be discriminated against if you are Not funny, kind, relatively bright and at least a little bit quirky ;-)

Old 03-31-2015, 07:22 AM

2,706 posts, read 3,380,359 times
If you see a parade of black chevy suburbans, it's likely Clinton is back in town.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Westchester County