Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Westchester County
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-02-2014, 07:48 AM

24 posts, read 55,519 times

Advertisements

Hi,

For starters, ignore my username.

Searching for a home and looking for some information on lower westchester towns. We're priced out of some (scarsdale, bronxville etc), and avoiding some others (mt vernon, most of yonkers etc). There's a few we're interested in, just don't know much about. Was hoping you could share some light.

Elmsford- it's listed as being very diverse, which is great. But so is mt vernon. Does it have less than desirable parts like mt vernon?
Ossining- same as above

Dobbs ferry- seems nice yet affordable, any draw backs?
Tarrytown- same as above

Our budget is in the low 400k's, and don't want to go any further than white plains (we both work in the city).

Any information on one or more of the towns listed would be a HUGE help. Thanks all.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-02-2014, 08:00 AM

2,440 posts, read 6,257,817 times
Low 400k's is really, really tough to get something half-way decent outside of Yonkers and Mount Vernon. If you can find something in Dobbs Ferry that you like the low 400k's, just go for it.

Old 03-02-2014, 05:09 PM

293 posts, read 886,319 times
for that max price and staying in southern westchester, be realistic and look at co-ops and condos. If you can afford up to $400k, then you can easily find a nice 3 bedroom/2 bath in white plains, pelham, irvington, tarrytown, Bronxville PO (you didn't mention children, so I don't know if school districts are an issue), etc... For up to $400k in the same areas, you'll get a dump of a house that will require huge investment of money and time to make it liveable/keep it from falling apart around you - if you can find one at all.

Last edited by ehmom; 03-02-2014 at 06:25 PM..

Old 03-03-2014, 11:55 AM

87 posts, read 228,576 times
Ossining is a nice town and you can do well here with your budget. It is past White Plains, even though you include it in your list. I'm happy to answer questions if you explain a bit more of what you are looking for. There are some extremely nice parts and some not as nice but none that are unsafe or need to be avoided. In any case, $400k will put you in a good neighborhood so you needn't worry.

Dobbs/Tarrytown/Ossining are all somewhat more affordable due to diversity (i.e. ESL students) that brings down test scores in the schools. All have a good reputation if you speak to parents in the districts. Of these, Dobbs is least diverse with highest scores (last I checked) and is most expensive.

One thing to consider about Dobbs/Tarrytown is that taxes are usually high relative to the price of the house, so while you might find something in your range, make sure you work out what the taxes will do to your budget as well. Ossining is easily the most affordable overall, but it is further North so you get what you pay for so to speak.

Old 03-03-2014, 02:04 PM

157 posts, read 347,472 times
You never specified how important good school are in determining where you live. If you have a 400k budget and schools aren't a factor, you should not rule out the Fleetwood section of Mount Vernon.

Unfortunately 400k doesn't buy you much in the way of a single-family detached home in Westchester. You can consider condo/co-op options, which there will be many good choices of in that budget. If you do find a single-family detached home, it'll most likely need significant work.

Old 03-03-2014, 02:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WardEq View Post
Ossining is a nice town and you can do well here with your budget. It is past White Plains, even though you include it in your list. I'm happy to answer questions if you explain a bit more of what you are looking for. There are some extremely nice parts and some not as nice but none that are unsafe or need to be avoided. In any case, $400k will put you in a good neighborhood so you needn't worry.

Dobbs/Tarrytown/Ossining are all somewhat more affordable due to diversity (i.e. ESL students) that brings down test scores in the schools. All have a good reputation if you speak to parents in the districts. Of these, Dobbs is least diverse with highest scores (last I checked) and is most expensive.

One thing to consider about Dobbs/Tarrytown is that taxes are usually high relative to the price of the house, so while you might find something in your range, make sure you work out what the taxes will do to your budget as well. Ossining is easily the most affordable overall, but it is further North so you get what you pay for so to speak.
Quote:
Agreed. As long as you don't mind being that far north, Ossining should definitely be a contender.

Quote:
Agreed here as well. I find that Dobbs Ferry, Ardsley and Tarrytown taxes seem a little high relative to the value of the homes.

Old 03-03-2014, 03:16 PM

2,440 posts, read 6,257,817 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RJS5689 View Post
Agreed. As long as you don't mind being that far north, Ossining should definitely be a contender.

Agreed here as well. I find that Dobbs Ferry, Ardsley and Tarrytown taxes seem a little high relative to the value of the homes.
I wouldn't worry about that. I would rather pay $400,000 for a house and pay $13,000 taxes, than $500,000 for the same house and pay $13,000 taxes. Typically you get the discount because of the reputation of the schools, which may or may not reflect reality. All other services are the same.

Old 03-04-2014, 02:32 PM

24 posts, read 55,519 times
I don't have any kids yet... but am heading in that direction within the next couple of years. For that reason, schools do matter and co-ops/condos aren't ideal.

I haven't looked too seriously into ossining because I've heard the same (some nice, some not so nice). You're right that its past white plains, I guess that's as far as i'm willing to go. I just happened to mention it because someone I work with lives there and the commute isn't too bad.

Old 03-04-2014, 02:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Back to LI View Post
I don't have any kids yet... but am heading in that direction within the next couple of years. For that reason, schools do matter and co-ops/condos aren't ideal.

I haven't looked too seriously into ossining because I've heard the same (some nice, some not so nice). You're right that its past white plains, I guess that's as far as i'm willing to go. I just happened to mention it because someone I work with lives there and the commute isn't too bad.
Unfortunately you're going to have to compromise/sacrifice a bit. You say you have a $400k budget to work with. If you want a single family home with that budget, be prepared to look in Mount Vernon, Port Chester, Yonkers, Ossining, New Rochelle and maybe parts of White Plains.

If you want to step into an area with better schools, then your options are going to be condo/co-ops.

Old 03-10-2014, 02:56 PM

4,762 posts, read 793,001 times
With a budget of $400,000, as nearly everyone has pointed out, your options will be quite limited, even in the large cities like Yonkers, Mount Vernon and New Rochelle.

I would be shocked to see any one-family detached homes for that price even in White Plains nowadays, given how much that city has been built up in the past 10 years or so. I'm not too familiar with Ossining (it's the only one of the 45 municipalities in Westchester I have never visited!) so I really can't say with any certainty what it offers.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Westchester County