Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Westchester County
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-06-2017, 12:27 AM

780 posts, read 1,344,656 times

Advertisements

Hello--

I currently live in Syracuse, and it looks like I might be transferred to our office in Westchester Co in the near future ( had the interview over the phone, today ) and I know the rents there are much higher than here, but are the utilities ( such as cable/internet, water, electric, etc ) are as well?

Here is Syracuse, I live in a 900 sq ft 2 bd / 1.5 ba apartment, and pay about $110 for cable/internet, about $32 for water, and the elec bill is around $85/mo in the summer and about $125/mo in the winter.

During my phone interview, the supervisor I spoke to down there, said that most of the employees live in Rockland County ( cheaper to live? ) and was just seeking some input on some of these costs ( outside of the rent itself ) in that area, first....

Thanks for any help!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-06-2017, 12:09 PM

974 posts, read 1,413,654 times
Its so hard to answer this because utility costs will vary greatly from apartment to apartment based on a myriad of factors such as size, insulation, type of equipment (furnace, etc), personal habits of the residents, etc. Also, different apartments may have different things that the tenant would be responsible. For cable, check with Cablevision and/or Fios to get a general idea. And again that varies greatly depending on the type of package you would have.

In general terms, Rockland would be cheaper in terms of rents/housing costs, although I don't think cable and utilities would be much different on a percentage basis.

Old 04-06-2017, 11:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 987ABC View Post
Its so hard to answer this because utility costs will vary greatly from apartment to apartment based on a myriad of factors such as size, insulation, type of equipment (furnace, etc), personal habits of the residents, etc. Also, different apartments may have different things that the tenant would be responsible. For cable, check with Cablevision and/or Fios to get a general idea. And again that varies greatly depending on the type of package you would have.

In general terms, Rockland would be cheaper in terms of rents/housing costs, although I don't think cable and utilities would be much different on a percentage basis.
Yeah, I understand a host of factors could swing this all over the place, but at least you confirmed what I heard about Rockland County, anyway, so that helps too

Thanks again.

Old 04-07-2017, 07:57 AM

974 posts, read 1,413,654 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by skylar0201 View Post
Yeah, I understand a host of factors could swing this all over the place, but at least you confirmed what I heard about Rockland County, anyway, so that helps too

Thanks again.
Also look into TZ bridge tolls. You will have to pay this, and if you are micromanaging cable and utility costs, than it makes sense for you to factor this in as well, as you will not be paying this is you live in Westchester/Putnam/CT. Look at what the monthly rate is on EZ Pass. That is what you will be paying - if the monthly rate is still available - its been a while since I looked.

Old 04-08-2017, 01:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 987ABC View Post
Also look into TZ bridge tolls. You will have to pay this, and if you are micromanaging cable and utility costs, than it makes sense for you to factor this in as well, as you will not be paying this is you live in Westchester/Putnam/CT. Look at what the monthly rate is on EZ Pass. That is what you will be paying - if the monthly rate is still available - its been a while since I looked.
Yep, I actually did factor that in to my auto expenses, and I currently have been an EZ Pass subscriber for quite awhile now too.

Thanks for your input!

Old 04-09-2017, 04:57 AM

38 posts, read 144,743 times
I live in Greenburgh, 2100 home, split 3 levels

165 cable ( with some prem, but not all)
water, $200 a year
Electric/ gas, $ 450 summer/winter, other wise $140

Check out Rockland, New Bridge will be done in a year which should cut commute to 15 minutes, Rockland will be less of a shock to your system and pocketbook

Old 04-10-2017, 06:29 AM

19,219 posts, read 17,102,322 times
Cheaper and Rockland are two words that I don't normally hear put together. You made no mention of any family so I will go on the assumption your currently single with that assumption I would stay in Westchester.

Why add the commute which includes the bridge (that will be under construction for how many years?), the toll, the traffic and the general aggravation of having to do that twice a day. The costs saved on travel should more than compensate for any differences in utility costs that you might encounter you also could look over the line in Connecticut many posters have spoken positively of living there. Plus living in Westchester allows you access to the Metro North Rail Lines for going into the city when you like, beats driving.

I learned a long time ago, avoid a water crossing whenever possible in your daily commute....

Good Luck

Old 04-10-2017, 06:48 PM

1,594 posts, read 3,577,489 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by seeker283 View Post
I live in Greenburgh, 2100 home, split 3 levels

165 cable ( with some prem, but not all)
water, $200 a year
Electric/ gas, $ 450 summer/winter, other wise $140

Check out Rockland, New Bridge will be done in a year which should cut commute to 15 minutes, Rockland will be less of a shock to your system and pocketbook
This is pretty close to what I am paying in westchester. More macked out cable but a little less on electric.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Westchester County
View detailed profiles of: