Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Westchester County
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-07-2014, 09:26 AM

3 posts, read 6,005 times

Advertisements

My wife and I are interesting in moving into a two bedroom apartment with our newborn in Glenwood Gardens (located in Yonkers). Can anyone tell me about this area? Is it safehow is the neighborhood and management etc?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-01-2014, 06:41 PM

29 posts, read 48,008 times
safe, if you have a lot of Kevlar and an armored
vehicle , plus fortify your living quarters.

Old 10-06-2014, 12:04 PM

157 posts, read 345,818 times
Gleenwood is not a great section of Yonkers at all. Lots of drug activity, crime, unsavory characters, etc. Do some searching on the City Data forums and you'll find plenty of information about the Glenwood area.

Old 10-11-2014, 12:43 PM

7,453 posts, read 4,271,517 times
RJS5689:
Quote:
Gleenwood is not a great section of Yonkers at all. Lots of drug activity, crime, unsavory characters, etc. Do some searching on the City Data forums and you'll find plenty of information about the Glenwood area.
It used to be back in the mid 60's. As a kid, about 12 years old when I lived in Irvington my parents would let me take the train there to visit my cousin's on Ravine Ave. across from Glenwood Gardens. By the late 60's early 70's they got out of there as it was starting to deteriorate and moved to Irvington. My other aunt and uncle remained until my uncle died, coming home from his funeral my aunt got mugged and had her pocketbook stolen she was 85. She fought with them and took a beating, fortunately she wasn't seriously injured other than cuts and bruises. They used to have a nice apartment with Hudson River views in Glenwood Gardens. I did a "Google" map search placing the "little man" on Ravine Ave. My God has that place changed! Litter, garbage, dilapidated buildings and homes everywhere. Christ, I remember being able to go to Trevor Park and not be afraid, I wouldn't want to do that now. And people say New York's getting better?

Old 10-16-2014, 04:20 PM

They meant that new York city has really gotten better. Not new york State
It has really improved, but the prices for an apartment are extreme, even in areas that are still very shaky due to their proximity to large housing projects and crime. 5 floor walk ups in alphabet city , near some of the big crime areas will cost you over $3000 for a studio
Yonkers has had poor management 4 ever.
the people running the show, have no idea on what is important. They think public transit is for the poor people and they used up half the footprint of the waterfront for car parking garages. They could have built a modern area that didn't depend on cars if they had any vision, however they have all these relatives of some political party on the payroll, not the people that could have designed the waterfront correctly. .
The waterfront, over 15 years since it has been so called revived, is dead as can be, and was designed in a privatization mode. Not designed for the public to enjoy. One day a year they have a festival down there,1 day a year, it should be every weekend.
there is not one coffeehouse, or public place for community down there, There are bars. About a mile of waterfront and no food vendors,no ice cream for the kids, 2 bathroom stalls, as in 2 toilets for 1/2 mile of public land, the bathrooms will be locked up tight within minutes of the last song, at the music festivals they have for a couple hours on Friday nights in the summer,
my parent lived at ravine ave in the late 1950.s.
i live about a mile away on warburton, the land of no neighborhood, I call it wadell

Old 10-17-2014, 07:41 PM

7,453 posts, read 4,271,517 times
greystonestation:
Quote:
however they have all these relatives of some political party on the payroll, not the people that could have designed the waterfront correctly.
Couldn't be the Spano's could it? I heard that "Fat Nick" was in jail for tax evasion a la Al Capone. If I'm not mistaken his brother Mike was or still is mayor of Yonkers? I think he switched parties so he could run for Mayor as a Democrat because he lost the Republican primary? Those swines only represent themselves. Father "Len" was at one time county clerk. I believe that "Fat Nick" tried to work out some kind of deal with Larry Schwartz (another criminal) so Andy Spano (no relation) could get the Conservative Party's (what a joke) endorsement in his race against Rob Astorino for county executive. Didn't work though, those swines thought we were stupid. Such arrogance! I think that "Fat Nick" had some type of lobbying firm and was dealing with Schwartz while Paterson was governor. Figures. Schwartz is now chief of staff to none other than Cuomo. Also figures. Political patronage at it's worst, New York politics at it's best! No wonder the state's going down the toilet. When are the people of New York ever going to wake up? My God this brings back memories. Used to make me furious, now I get a "kick" out of it now that I'm outta' there.
Quote:
the people running the show, have no idea on what is important.
Oh, they know what's important all right. Their big fat asses!
Quote:
my parent lived at ravine ave in the late 1950.s.
They probably knew my relatives! It was a nice community back then.

Last edited by Ex New Yorker; 10-17-2014 at 07:52 PM..

Old 10-18-2014, 12:56 AM

SPANO thieves are all over , yes your correct on the party switching , your right on all accounts, the yonkers thieving politicians are the same as the Albany and #cuomo thieves.
i saw one thing that they did in Yonkers, they redistrict , it is gerrymandering, the people across the street have a different councilperson . They make it so there are no communities that can form as a political force.
One side of warburton north of Odell is distinct A and the east side is a different district .
my mother knows everyone from ravine and gorton class of 38 ? 39?, she helped with the reunions

Old 04-05-2017, 04:36 PM

2 posts, read 3,762 times
I recently moved into Seven pines, though I never thought I'd live in Yonkers. To my peasant surprise the tenants are for most part ,pleasant, courteous and that makes for neighborly environment. The building is also clean and well maintained. The renovations are not complete but obviously, the owner intends to keep up the standard of tis building. Lastly the proximity to Metro north is more than you could ask for.

Old 04-05-2017, 04:37 PM

2 posts, read 3,762 times
seven Pines ,Thumbs up!

Old 04-09-2017, 06:09 AM

38 posts, read 144,133 times
people tend to lose track here pretty quickly.

Yonkers is huge, stay away from Nepperham ave (starts at saw mill and heads west to water) intersects with broadway, also bad. yonkers has plenty of good, not great areas, school system iffy, but plenty of private. Central Ave would be a good choice to start, gives you access to best of yonkers shopping and hwy access.any of the remax or century 21 agents located in that area can help you.

You dont give much info but if your driving look 10 minutes north, on Central ave. to the Hartsdale Area ( East Hartsdale Ave) many rentals and if you stay great school system.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Westchester County