Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Westchester County
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-17-2014, 09:29 AM

92 posts, read 359,395 times

Advertisements

How would the commute from Katonah to the Yonkers waterfront be?

I am being considered for a job there but I am afraid of the rush hour traffic... How is rush hour on the saw mill? I'd prefer taking 684 due to the flooding on the SMP, and the lack of traffic lights, but I think that is way out of the way.

How long would it be door to door? I am wondering if it is faster than the metro north ride to grand central.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-17-2014, 02:11 PM

4,762 posts, read 792,686 times
I'd say you're looking at 40 minutes without traffic, but I'd leave a full hour just in case.

The Saw Mill is definitely more direct, as it runs directly southwest-northeast (precisely from Yonkers to Katonah); but other than due to flooding or a major accident, it rarely gets backed up. The only plus to 684 is the higher speed limit (65 rather than 55 on the Saw Mill), but you'd still have to get through White Plains one way or another (even if you took the Hutch to the Cross County). The Saw Mill would help you to avoid the White Plains-bound traffic completely.

Your worst headache will probably be all the lights along Yonkers Avenue from the Saw Mill to the waterfront. That area gets very congested, especially in the afternoons. In any case, I'd go with the Saw Mill.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Westchester County