Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Westchester County
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-06-2007, 03:22 AM

19 posts, read 74,924 times

Advertisements

i know yonkers is a big place, where would be a good neighborhood for a young gay family? we want a small starter home in the 400-500K range.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-15-2008, 09:16 PM

17 posts, read 131,077 times
Default Re:

I'm sorry to say that I'm not too surprised this post hasn't received any other replies yet. I've lived in Westchester for 3 years and have yet to witness a speck of gay pride.

I'm not gay but I've found that areas catering to a gay clientele tend to have more interesting shops, better restaurants, and more interesting culture. If there are any such areas in Westchester or nearby, would someone please tip me off so I can go and visit them!

Old 01-16-2008, 07:44 PM

305 posts, read 1,888,890 times
I don't think there is a particular section of Yonkers that caters to gay families. Are you looking for somewhere that has a larger population of gay families in a particular neighborhood?

I think there are a lot of gay families throughout Westchester, they are just not clustered in one section. If you're going to look for a home, consider NE Yonkers. I like Colonial Heights, Sprain Lake Knolls, Crestwood and Westchester Hills. These areas are all around Central Ave and very nice. Good Luck.

Old 01-17-2008, 12:59 PM

364 posts, read 1,974,898 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jyyanks View Post
I like Colonial Heights, Sprain Lake Knolls, Crestwood and Westchester Hills. These areas are all around Central Ave and very nice. Good Luck.
I've been trying to relocate to an apt complex off Central Ave as well! After looking around Yonkers, that area seems very nice. For what I can tell there are lots of shopping and easy access to public trans. down do the city if needed.

I don't have info either about the better places for gay couples.

Could you provided a little more info about what are you looking for?

Old 01-19-2008, 09:59 AM

this thread just came back to life. we are a low key couple, we found a nice home in Lincoln Park we are considering purchasing (right off mclean and 87), we just want to make sure we feel safe and won't be harassed. It is a irish area, we spent quite a bit of time driving around and hanging out, any insight

Old 01-21-2008, 09:52 AM

364 posts, read 1,974,898 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by flanker View Post
this thread just came back to life. we are a low key couple, we found a nice home in Lincoln Park we are considering purchasing (right off mclean and 87), we just want to make sure we feel safe and won't be harassed. It is a irish area, we spent quite a bit of time driving around and hanging out, any insight
Not familiar to that area since I'm new to Westchester myself.

Have you had negative experiences in other parts of NYC?

Old 01-21-2008, 02:55 PM

I am a native New Yorker but haven't spent a ton of time up in Westchester. So I was curious if people have some insight on this topic.

Old 01-21-2008, 08:20 PM

305 posts, read 1,888,890 times
I'm not as familiar with Lincoln Park as I am with other areas of Yonkers. I do know its a nice area with beautiful homes. I think that the areas surrounding NYC are very diverse and most people are unfazed by alternative lifestyles. It's not like you are in a remote part of the South.
McLean does have a lot of Irish bars. Sometimes the people who populate those bars can get rowdy, but that can happen anywhere where alcohol is involved.

I find people to be generally welcoming. My in-laws lived next door to a gay couple In Easchester. The couple was friendly, kept their home and property neat, and minded their own business and my in-laws were thrilled to have such nice neighbors. The only time I see hostility among neighbors has less to do with their sexual orientation, and more to do with petty disagreements that escalate (barking dogs, tree branches on someone else's property, fence too high, parking the car in front of someone else's house etc)

Old 01-21-2008, 09:00 PM

142 posts, read 958,791 times
Park Hill- a lot off ex- Brooklynites and Manhattanites.

Old 01-21-2008, 11:33 PM

2,806 posts, read 16,333,529 times
To be honest I've never seen any openly gay people around my area of Woodlawn/Yonkers. This area is very blue-collar and pretty old-school if you ask me.

I really don't know how to answer this question. I doubt that anything will happen to you, but I just can't see a gay person particularly enjoying living around here. To each his own I suppose.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Westchester County