U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Westchester County
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-06-2007, 09:42 AM

4 posts, read 20,204 times

Advertisements

Hi,
I'm thinking about moving to Somers, NY, and I'm wondering if it is a decent place to live for someone single in their late 20's (i.e. places to go out, things to do, etc.). I'm not familiar with the area and so I'm also wondering if there might be "livelier" places to live and maybe commute into Somers. Unsure if I'll be renting or buying, but home prices is one of my considerations too.

Thanks for the feedback
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message

Old 12-06-2007, 11:49 AM

2,806 posts, read 15,490,509 times
I dont' think Somers is the best place for a younger person, however it depends on your perspective I suppose.

White Plains is probably the closest town that has an active singles scene, however White Plains is quite far from Somers.

Old 12-06-2007, 01:59 PM

103 posts, read 413,238 times
I have to agree with Mead - Somers might be a little "sleepy" for you. In addition to White Plains (which might be a good fit), Mount Kisco might be a good area to look into. It offers very convenient commute to Somers, and there is a great variety of housing options (co-ops, condos, townhouses, single family homes).
Good luck!

Old 12-06-2007, 02:41 PM

83 posts, read 326,056 times
I have to agree with the above two also. Somers would not serve the single scene well. very little to do there... WP is a better idea or south westcester which would afford a super fast commute to NYC.

Old 12-06-2007, 03:14 PM

10,632 posts, read 17,217,789 times
I grew up in Mt. Kisco, and it has a pretty good small scene for a younger crowd, and White Plains is an easy drive away, or you can take the train into the city.

Old 12-14-2007, 05:13 PM

3 posts, read 13,344 times
Hi EaglesFan,

I would say that a single "20 something" person would be better off living in or closer to White Plains where in addition to a bigger selection of places to work, there is some night life and the energy of a small city. Much better shopping and things going on and only 30 minutes by train and car to NYC. A BIG plus! There is also a better selection of places to rent. Rents can be a bit high but there are some good buys too. If you go with an agent, they'll be able to help you find what you are looking for.

In Somers most people own homes and so there is not much around to rent. Somers really is more of a married with children type of community. Great schools, parks and activities for the kids. Consider moving here when you are at that stage of life. I think you'd appreciate it much better then.

Old 12-26-2007, 01:53 PM

Thanks for the responses. I looked around in White Plains...definitely not cheap but looks to be a pretty decent area. I'll start looking at the other suggestions too.

Best

Old 12-26-2007, 06:11 PM

506 posts, read 2,106,114 times
Default what is your budget and

where are you going to be working, you don't necessarily have to live in the heart of w.p.............

Old 12-27-2007, 10:21 AM

I'll be working in Somers. Would like to find a place where you can walk or take a short cab ride to places to go out, things to do, etc., but also would prefer not to spend more than $1500 for rent on a 1BR. I don't know the area at all though.

Old 12-27-2007, 03:47 PM

305 posts, read 1,741,946 times
While Somers is nice, I think White Plains might be a better choice since there is much more to do. I would suggest renting first until you get familiar with the area and what its like to live there. If you decide you hate it, you can move to an area that might better suit you. You can probably find a decent 1 BR apartment to rent in White Plains within your price range. You can try looking in craigslist under westchester apartments for rent.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Westchester County