Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Westchester County
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-06-2014, 02:41 PM

3 posts, read 5,462 times

Advertisements

Hello! I am planning to move to Pleasantville PO but Byram Hills schools. I have a kindergartener and 1st grade kids. I am a bit concerned about letting them go on a bus for 7 miles.
Does any one have/had experience with bussing in this area? your opinion and suggestions are deeply appreciated.
thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-06-2014, 04:25 PM

4,762 posts, read 793,001 times
I didn't even know the Byram Hills school district went as far north as Pleasantville.

Old 04-06-2014, 07:13 PM

425 posts, read 1,213,054 times
My son is in first grade and rides the bus almost everyday -- have never had an issue. He does not trave on route 120 toward Chappaqua/Pleasantville however as we live only a few miles from Coman Hill.

Old 04-06-2014, 07:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by john70 View Post
My son is in first grade and rides the bus almost everyday -- have never had an issue. He does not trave on route 120 toward Chappaqua/Pleasantville however as we live only a few miles from Coman Hill.
I knew that Armonk was in the Byram Hills district, but I thought Chappaqua and Pleasantville were their own. I'm even more mistaken than I thought. What area does Byram Hills actually consist of?

Old 04-06-2014, 08:15 PM

3 posts, read 5,462 times
Quote:
thank you. I think in general traveling on a bus is not a big deal. but 7 miles just seems a bit too far to go on a bus for an elementary school. would love to hear from some one who does it. my real estate agent says it is quite a big area of pleasantville PO , thornwood and maybe others who are zoned to byram hills schools.

and also, if someone is in this type of setting, does it make it harder to keep up with kids social life after school?

thanks

Old 04-07-2014, 08:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveC1024 View Post
I knew that Armonk was in the Byram Hills district, but I thought Chappaqua and Pleasantville were their own. I'm even more mistaken than I thought. What area does Byram Hills actually consist of?
Parts of Pleasntville and Thornwood are in the Byram Hills District (Nannyhagen and Bear Ridge Road)...Bedford and Chappaqua too. Most suprisingly, and I really have not looked into this one, I believe there is a portion of Greenwich CT that is in the Byram Hills School Dist. Ron Howard's lives in Greenwich and his daughter graduated from Byram Hills. I believe this is the exclusive community of Conyers Farms, a portion of which is in Armonk NY but maintains a Greenwich address. Not sure.

Last edited by john70; 04-07-2014 at 08:18 PM..

Old 04-08-2014, 10:31 AM

Quote:
Parts of Pleasntville and Thornwood are in the Byram Hills District (Nannyhagen and Bear Ridge Road)...Bedford and Chappaqua too. Most suprisingly, and I really have not looked into this one, I believe there is a portion of Greenwich CT that is in the Byram Hills School Dist. Ron Howard's lives in Greenwich and his daughter graduated from Byram Hills. I believe this is the exclusive community of Conyers Farms, a portion of which is in Armonk NY but maintains a Greenwich address. Not sure.
Thanks for your response; I was able to find a map of all the Westchester school districts to answer my question.

The fact that a district can be shared by two states is very interesting, indeed. I didn't think that it would be possible, because educational standards are dictated at the state level. For example, would the Greenwich students attending Byram Hills schools have to pass NYS Regents exams? With the NYS educational system being bureaucratic enough as it is already, I doubt they'd want to add more such complication into the mix!

I'm guessing that the Greenwich area that falls in the Byram Hills school district is the area near that small stretch of I-684 that dips into Connecticut for less than a mile. I didn't know it was a residential area, though.

Old 04-08-2014, 08:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveC1024 View Post
Thanks for your response; I was able to find a map of all the Westchester school districts to answer my question.

The fact that a district can be shared by two states is very interesting, indeed. I didn't think that it would be possible, because educational standards are dictated at the state level. For example, would the Greenwich students attending Byram Hills schools have to pass NYS Regents exams? With the NYS educational system being bureaucratic enough as it is already, I doubt they'd want to add more such complication into the mix!

I'm guessing that the Greenwich area that falls in the Byram Hills school district is the area near that small stretch of I-684 that dips into Connecticut for less than a mile. I didn't know it was a residential area, though.
No Steve, its not that little cut out - its between Round Hill Road and North Street in the Greenwich North Country. Here is the write up on a home there listed for sale in the Armonk School District...

Conyers Farm Estates
Nestled on the threshold of paradise, this charming 2002 stone and shingle Newport style home sits stately beyond the grand pillars of world-renowned Conyers Farm. Situated on eleven acres in one of Greenwich’s most prestigious locations, this property represents the ultimate in sophisticated living in backcountry Greenwich.
This lovely home combines vintage appeal with modern sophistication. Located within a private gated community with 24-hour security, this five bedroom, five bathroom, three half bath residence is surrounded by wide expanses of breathtaking land. Located in the sought after Byram Hills School District, this home is a treasure. Serene and picturesque, this is a perfect country retreat with land that backs to Converse Lake with its own private floating dock, endless possibilities for building your dreams.
Coyers Farm represents distinguished living with 96 extraordinary estates spread over 1,500 acres. Each home sits upon a minimum of ten acres of land, with some homes situated on fifteen or twenty acre properties.
Conyers Farm is a peaceful haven for people who appreciate the tangible benefits of nature as well as its aesthetics. A majestic stone clubhouse, part of the common property, sits beside the polo field where internationally acclaimed players enjoy the sport. Converse Lake offers water sports such as fishing, swimming, sailing, canoeing and ice-skating. A 5-mile bridle path is a welcome retreat for riders of all ages.
Location – Strolling down the tree-lined country lanes at Conyers Farm is an uncommon experience. Estates, tastefully sheltered amidst well maintained grounds, dissolve into their surroundings. Nature abounds in all its pristine glory.
Greenwich, Connecticut. Approximately 1 hour from Manhattan via Interstate 95, Merritt Parkway, or Metro North commuter rails service to Grand Central Station. The town of Greenwich has evolved over the centuries into a vibrant, cosmopolitan community, and is considered to be one of the most desirable towns in the nation. Hightly rated public and private schools, excellent town services, a fine hospital and a myriad of cultural offerings add to the charm of Greenwich. Nearly 1,000 acres devoted to public parks provide for a wealth of recreational activities. There are numerous country clubs, golf courses, bridle paths and yacht clubs.

Property
Conyers Farm, approximately 1,500 acres, offers outstanding views of surrounding pasture and farmland with a lake beyond, in one corner, rolling lawns open to verdant pastures surrounded by white fences where houses graze. Along Converse Lake a blanket of pine needles stirs the senses, reminiscent of Vermont. Not far from the lake, stone walls meander past New England Farmland. Between these idyllic, tranquil meadows have been dedicated to preserving habitat for deer and birdlife.

Cultural, artistic, musical and historical activities are plentiful in North Castle and center around Bruce Museum, Bush-Holley House, the historical Society of Greenwich and North Castle, the Greenwich Symphony, the 120-member Greenwich Choral Society, Pops conderts in Roger Sherman Baldwin Park, and the Connecticut Playmakers Group.

Schools – Greenwichs public schools enjoy a reputation for academic excellence. The town’s prestigious private academies include Greenwich Country Day School, Greenwich Academy, Brunswick School, and Sacred Heart.

Old 04-08-2014, 09:16 PM

Seems like the district does indeed straddle the state line, then. How strange.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Westchester County