U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Westchester County
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-23-2007, 11:44 AM

305 posts, read 1,741,727 times

Advertisements

All in all, those 3 areas don't have the best schools. However if you are tied to these areas, I would consider NE yonkers - esp the areas bordering Scarsdale and Bronxville/Tuckahoe.

In Mt. Vernon, Fleetwood and the area bordering Bronxville is nice and in New Rochelle, the area bordering Eastchester (Quaker Ridge) is nice.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-24-2007, 10:16 PM

506 posts, read 2,105,868 times
Default You just have to

check each area out at all different times to see if it is what you are looking for..........gl

Old 02-05-2014, 04:27 PM

5 posts, read 10,525 times
Hello Everyone, all the questions and answers was helpful because I too is thinking about moving to the yonkers area, but I'm a bit hestitate because as of yet I don't have a vehicle. But I'm thinking of applying with a building management with property located at 330 Riverdale avenue Yonkers, NY 10705, 49 North Broadway and 220 Yonkers avenue (Parkledge apartment management). Are these locations decent for children and teens? I'm looking for low income which limits my options as well as not having a car and when I am fortunate to get a car my teen needs to be able to get around without me driving all the time. Also my teen is in college and I plan to return to college for my Master's in Psychology, law, forensic or substance abuse Counselor. Where are the colleges in Yonkers or should I be looking to move further in Westchester? Im baffled.

Old 02-05-2014, 06:02 PM

114 posts, read 271,057 times
The is an area of New Rochelle called "Larchmont woods" which is really beautiful. Gorgeous neighborhood. It is very close to the town of Larchmont, which has the metro north if you needed it. Larchmont/Mamaroneck is a really nice town to be near.

Old 02-25-2014, 03:15 PM

5 posts, read 10,525 times
Thank you Westchester, GT and Jyyanks I will look into Larchmont, Mamaroneck, Tuckahoe and other areas mentioned. Its funny I thought of the owner of a local business where I live now who told me she lived in yonkers and she recommended Tuckahoe but she did express that Tuckahoe runs a long way and at certain parts a car is needed. Does anyone currently live in neighborhoods mentioned that could possibly keep an eye out/share any info on apt I can apply for low income. Im seeking a 3 bedroom. Again thank you everyone all info is helpful.

Old 02-26-2014, 06:36 AM

2,478 posts, read 5,739,247 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shawnty taylor View Post
Thank you Westchester, GT and Jyyanks I will look into Larchmont, Mamaroneck, Tuckahoe and other areas mentioned. Its funny I thought of the owner of a local business where I live now who told me she lived in yonkers and she recommended Tuckahoe but she did express that Tuckahoe runs a long way and at certain parts a car is needed. Does anyone currently live in neighborhoods mentioned that could possibly keep an eye out/share any info on apt I can apply for low income. Im seeking a 3 bedroom. Again thank you everyone all info is helpful.
You should start your own new thread instead of adding onto this one. You'll get better info.

Old 03-01-2014, 07:25 PM

3,860 posts, read 8,055,149 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shawnty taylor View Post
Tuckahoe isn't really that large (assuming you're talking about the Village of Tuckahoe). On the eastern end, there's buses along White Plains Road, and obviously the western end has Metro-North (there's also the #8 bus to Yonkers). For local shopping, there's stores near the MNRR station, and also Eastchester Square.

Old 03-16-2014, 03:01 PM

226 posts, read 309,113 times
I grew up in the Fleetwood/Bronxville area, my neighborhood was bordered by Ridgway St, Gramatan ave! Clinton Ave and Parkway West. That area was a great place for families. (Hopefully still is)

Old 03-20-2014, 09:16 AM

6 posts, read 9,962 times
Check out Oakwood Heights in Mount Vernon.

Old 03-21-2014, 09:20 AM

157 posts, read 307,422 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by newroccity6971 View Post
mt vernon isnt really a nice area in gerneral and neither is yonkers new rochelle would be your best option and no u dont have to live north of eastchester roadmy favorite neighborhood is rochelle park aroud the boulevard which is a black neighborhood but has many nice houses and is treelined (im black) this nieghborhood reminds me what we can do as a people
You just labeled two large cities with an all-encompassing blanket statement that couldn't be any more wrong. Yonkers has many nice neighborhoods and several affluent sections. MV also has some wonderful neighborhoods (Fleetwood).

Quote:
Originally Posted by mead View Post
The Fleetwood area of Mount Vernon is alright. I think anything north of the train tracks, along Granmattan Ave is decent. Once you get south of the train tracks (the ones with the trains going to Conneticut) it gets bad.
This. The imaginary "dividing line" in Mt. Vernon is W 1st St. Stay north of this line and you're in a good neighborhood. The further north you go, the closer you are to wealthy Bronxville. I recently moved to the Fleetwood section of Mt. Vernon and it was a great decision.

Should you look at Mt. Vernon, be aware of a few things:
Property taxes here are very high for the price of the homes, which explains why there are so many foreclosures in MV.

The school district here is atrocious (especially the high school). Granted, none of the cities on your list provide top-notch schools, so this may not be a priority for you?

OP: what is your budget, if you don't mind me asking?

EDIT: wow, I just saw the date of the original posting... whoops!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Westchester County