Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Westchester County
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-07-2007, 04:58 PM

1 posts, read 20,116 times

Advertisements

I plan on moving to Yonkers,New Rochelle, or Mt.Vernon. I am looking for safe,clean, neighborhoods with nice homes. The 30-45 minute commute to NYC is important thats why i picked these NYC Suburbans! If you have any other suggestions of other NYC suburbans id be happy to hear from you!
heres some pictures of the type of homes (pictures of homes around my area)
file:///C:/Users/Brittany/AppData/Local/Temp/moz-screenshot.jpg (broken link)file:///C:/Users/Brittany/AppData/Local/Temp/moz-screenshot-1.jpg (broken link)Uper/Middle class Neighborhoods In Yonkers,new Rochelle,mt Vernon?-nice-home-2.jpg

Uper/Middle class Neighborhoods In Yonkers,new Rochelle,mt Vernon?-nice-home.jpg
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-08-2007, 09:28 AM

2,440 posts, read 6,221,224 times
Mount Vernon - anything north of or just south of the Cross County Parkway is nice.

Yonkers - most of Yonkers is nice. Avoid the southwest corner.

New Rochelle - anything north of Eastchester Road is nice. But there are areas south of Eastchester Road that are also nice.

In other words, you have a huge area from which to choose.

Old 12-09-2007, 07:27 AM

1,552 posts, read 3,156,929 times
how southwest do you gave to go where its good if at all?
i saw a coop on riverdale ave (which i good in the bx) barely above the yonkers border
is it crap there to?

Old 12-09-2007, 09:31 AM

2,806 posts, read 16,328,256 times
I wouldn't go north of the Riverdale border, if I had a choice. Once you go north of that the only nice areas are to the East of the Saw Mill.

Anything in Yonkers east of the Saw Mill is nice. Southeast is more working class, Northeast is more wealthy.

Old 12-09-2007, 09:34 AM

I think I just point out for the original poster, that most stations along the Bronx River line can get to Grand Central within 45 minutes.

Even White Plains, which is far from the city, geographically , has excellent trian access to Grand Central. They have express trains running to Grand Central in 35 minutes. That is only slightly longer than the trains at my station in the bronx (30 minutes to grand central) even though White Plains is like 10 miles north of where I am.

Also there are many nice areas to all of the towns you listed, however the problem with all of them are the public schools.

Old 12-09-2007, 04:41 PM

1,552 posts, read 3,156,929 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mead View Post
I wouldn't go north of the Riverdale border, if I had a choice. Once you go north of that the only nice areas are to the East of the Saw Mill.

Anything in Yonkers east of the Saw Mill is nice. Southeast is more working class, Northeast is more wealthy.
so by north of the riverdale border you mean where riverdale ave becomes north broadway?

Old 12-09-2007, 11:53 PM

No, I believe where Riverdale ave and North Broadway merge is downtown Yonkers.

I am talking about Riverdale in the 260's. I believe that is the border between Riverdale and Yonkers. I believe Riverdale ends at 263rd street, but I'm not sure about this at all.

North of Riverdale into Yonkers gets ghetto really quick. Once you get up to Ludlow Street then thats where things are really dicey. There is a tiny section near Main Street in Yonkers that is decent, but everything else around there is pretty bad.

On the whole Southwest Yonkers is not a desireable area. If it was up to me, I'd stay away from the Southwest portion of Yonkers.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bxlefty23 View Post
so by north of the riverdale border you mean where riverdale ave becomes north broadway?

Old 12-16-2007, 11:37 PM

10 posts, read 96,100 times
mt vernon isnt really a nice area in gerneral and neither is yonkers new rochelle would be your best option and no u dont have to live north of eastchester roadmy favorite neighborhood is rochelle park aroud the boulevard which is a black neighborhood but has many nice houses and is treelined (im black) this nieghborhood reminds me what we can do as a people

Old 12-17-2007, 02:20 PM

19 posts, read 109,696 times
Riverdale Ave in the Bronx is a beautiful, safe area. However, once you cross into Yonkers - the neighborhood declines very rapidly.

If you have an option - I would look elsewhere.

Old 12-17-2007, 03:58 PM

The Fleetwood area of Mount Vernon is alright. I think anything north of the train tracks, along Granmattan Ave is decent. Once you get south of the train tracks (the ones with the trains going to Conneticut) it gets bad.

Quote:
Originally Posted by newroccity6971 View Post
mt vernon isnt really a nice area in gerneral and neither is yonkers new rochelle would be your best option and no u dont have to live north of eastchester roadmy favorite neighborhood is rochelle park aroud the boulevard which is a black neighborhood but has many nice houses and is treelined (im black) this nieghborhood reminds me what we can do as a people
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Westchester County