Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Westchester County
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-08-2007, 06:58 PM

30 posts, read 66,426 times

Advertisements

I've lived in Yonkers for about 5 years with my wife and child and have a 12 year old which will be attending high school pretty soon. I choose not to send him to any yonkers High Schools for obvious reasons. I've looked at a 2 bedroom condo in the Hendrick Hudson area which is of the right price for me (Under $400,000) which I think is also considered Peekskill. I found that the Hendrick Hudson high school was a pretty good school (Greatschools.com) which is of most importance to me but then I hear that Peekskill as a whole is not much to be desired. Can anyone tell me about the Hendrick Hudson area? Is it close to the Metro North Harlem line (As my wife works in Valhalla and that's her line) Any info on Hendrick Hudson High School? Is it considered peekskill? Any info will be greatly appreciated....thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-13-2007, 06:53 PM

3 posts, read 15,590 times
I have lived in the Hen Hud area most of my life (and a graduate of the school). On a whole, I think it is a great area. There is a small portion of Peekskill that resides in the Hen Hud district and since it sits on the border of the Town of Cortlandt, there isn't too much difference between that area and the neighboring towns of Montrose and Buchanan. While Peekskill, in the past, has rightfully not had the best reputation, it really has made a huge transformation in the last 10 years. There has been a lot of reviltalization to the area including lots of new condos, townhouse and single family home developments. There are lots of plans to build up the city in a commercial sense such as plans (not approved yet) to bring Target and other like retailers. In addition there are plans to rebuild the riverfront. I think Westchester Magazine mentioned that Peekskill was one of the towns in Westchester that will have a lot growth in the value of real estate over the next 7 years.

The area you are looking has two train stations- Peekskill and Cortlandt - which are located on the Hudson Line, so that wouldn't work for your wife.

As for the high school, it's a good school, but probably does not have the same reputation it had 10 years ago. It still wouldn't stop me from sending my kids. In the area, Croton is probably regarded as the best, then you have Yorktown, Hen Hud, Lakeland, and Ossining (in no particular order).

I hope this helps a little.

Old 12-17-2007, 03:42 PM

6 posts, read 30,943 times
We currently live in the Lakeland SD and are really happy with it. We researched the schools, primarily when we looked and unfortunately are leaving the area now due to circumstances beyond our control. You could look in those neighboring areas, as, I agree, Peekskill has gotten better but was not my first choice when looking up here for a home.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Westchester County