Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Westchester County
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-09-2007, 09:23 PM

5 posts, read 17,773 times

Advertisements

I'm looking into buying a home in Westchester. As a NJ resident, I think I like the western part of Westchester, near the river towns. They make the trip to and from NJ a little easier for friends and family (don't know anyone in Westchester yet). Also, they seem like they have more of a small town, historic feel. That being said, I think it will be difficult to find a house w/in my price range in the river towns. It seems to me that of the 3 towns I've narrowed my search down to- dobbs ferry is the nicest (looking, things to do)/most expensive/with the best schools, followed by ardsley, then hartsdale. I think these towns all have very different feels, and I'd like some info from residents of those towns. I prefer older, tasteful, modest homes (in neighborhoods w/similar homes), dislike being near high rise or apartment complexes, would prefer to avoid heavy traffic during non-rush hour errand running (although I hear traffic is horrible in ardsley), would ideally like to be near the center of the town, and would like a house in a town where I'll keep the value of my home (ie good schools, pleasant community). To me, I would think that getting into a river town (dobbs ferry) is worth the more expensive home/higher taxes- am I wrong? Is there really horrible traffic in ardsley? Does hartsdale have any kind of community feel to it? Can anyone give me some perspective comparing the quality of life in these towns?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-10-2007, 10:08 AM

2,440 posts, read 6,258,595 times
Hartsdale is in the Greenburgh school district. Not good.

Ardsley has terrible traffic along Saw Mill River Road and Ashford Avenue during rush hour and when school is starting or ending. Ardsley also does not have a train station, and it can be a pain in the neck to get to the nearest train stations (Dobbs Ferry and Scarsdale).

The general perception is that Ardsley schools are better than Dobbs Ferry Schools, which is mostly based on test scores. My feeling is that test scores are not a way to judge a school district. Dobbs is more diverse economically, which often results in lower test scores.

Old 12-10-2007, 05:25 PM

2,806 posts, read 16,368,610 times
The school district in Hartsdale isn't good, but Hartsdale is really nice and has a nice little downtown to it. It does however have a lot of apartment buildings/co-ops near the downtown.

Old 12-10-2007, 05:32 PM

137 posts, read 1,004,891 times
Some Hartsdale addresses attend Edgemont schools which have an excellent reputation. Check out what district a house is zoned for before you discount it.

Old 12-11-2007, 10:41 AM

165 posts, read 662,133 times
I used to be in the RE industry in that area. I agree w/ eslteacher... Edgemont SD is a big plus.

Of the three areas you mentioned, I would order them in preference exactly how you wrote them. Dobbs has a wonderful influence from the river. Hartsdale IMHO, has a major negative influence from Central Park Ave... the street you sometimes have to use even if you don't want to, if you live in Hartsdale. That street is the very definition of horrible suburban traffic.

Old 12-12-2007, 10:30 AM

382 posts, read 1,531,249 times
I think you'll like Westchester much better than New Jersey.

Old 12-13-2007, 08:34 PM

19 posts, read 110,072 times
I have been living in Hartsdale for a number of years.

It is a great place to live in - parts of it feel like secluded suburbs away from the hustle & bustle of city life. Where as other parts - like Central Ave. has everything you need (shops, eats, etc..)

It is also more affordable than the places you listed. Our home prices can be cheaper, and the taxes are cheaper.

However - everyone else is right about the school district. There are more desirable districts around.

Thing to watch out with Dobbs Ferry (nice village) is that it's impossible to get and out of there during rush hour.

Old 12-16-2007, 10:48 PM

10 posts, read 96,226 times
hartsdale ardsley and dobbs ferry have steep slopes and hills with bendings turns and twist which are impossible to drive on in the winter snow im surprised people dont get into accidents everyday at night because you cant see anything and the occaisional deer will jump out in front of your car

Old 12-18-2007, 08:40 AM

1,006 posts, read 2,661,569 times
Default Westchester vs. NJ

Hi, just wanted to add my two cents...I moved to Westchester from NJ and I prefer NJ because I think people are a lot friendlier and less snobby. Plus, the shopping in the river towns is pretty bad. The towns are beautiful to look at in the fall and summer, but I find all of Westchester to be pretty unfriendly. I lived in NJ for 6 years and wish I had never left, taking everything into consideration. Of course, with no kids, schools are not an issue for me.

Old 12-18-2007, 10:19 AM

2,806 posts, read 16,368,610 times
Thats a very subjective statement.

You probably just think people are more friendly because you knew more people in NJ than you do in Westchester.

Quote:
Originally Posted by doghead View Post
Hi, just wanted to add my two cents...I moved to Westchester from NJ and I prefer NJ because I think people are a lot friendlier and less snobby. Plus, the shopping in the river towns is pretty bad. The towns are beautiful to look at in the fall and summer, but I find all of Westchester to be pretty unfriendly. I lived in NJ for 6 years and wish I had never left, taking everything into consideration. Of course, with no kids, schools are not an issue for me.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Westchester County