U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Westchester County
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-04-2014, 09:07 PM

582 posts, read 673,020 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Forest_Hills_Daddy View Post
I find the commute from MK to be unacceptable, but that's just me. Though I see the point about takeouts - you could probably get around this by taking out food in GC before you go home.

Making new friends - I don't think this will depend on your town. If it did, then you won't make a lot of new friends. More likely you will do this by joining a meetup group but then this can be done regardless of the town you live in. It's not like W-burg or Carroll Gardens where the pool of potential friends is large and singles are out in the open.
Or I could simply cook at home. I am a woman and I like to cook. my priorities really are : 1- safety , 2- reasonable commute time to GC because I need to be in Manhattan 5 times a week.

Since I learnt about the nuclear plan in croton on husdon and I am bit hesitant to search in this area.
How long is the commute from Mt. Kisco to GC? why do you think it is unacceptable?
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-05-2014, 04:27 AM

7,149 posts, read 10,687,917 times
/\/\

It's >1hr for MK vs. 50 minutes for Croton-Harmon. But I think the advantage of Croton is that you benefit from having more trains pass through so if you miss one train, there's easily another following soon after and you're not stressed trying to catch a specific schedule.

As for the nuclear plant, it's actually in Cortlandt Manor and if something happens, the whole county will be affected.

Old 05-06-2014, 08:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Forest_Hills_Daddy View Post
/\/\

It's >1hr for MK vs. 50 minutes for Croton-Harmon. But I think the advantage of Croton is that you benefit from having more trains pass through so if you miss one train, there's easily another following soon after and you're not stressed trying to catch a specific schedule.

As for the nuclear plant, it's actually in Cortlandt Manor and if something happens, the whole county will be affected.

That is totally right. I think I will look for places in Croton as well.

I totally forgot about the car expenses. I don't have a car now because I have been living in NYC and relying on the subway. Now, that I am considering a move to Mt. Kisco or other areas in westchester, I will need to get one. I am not sure how much it would cost me to get a car. ( insurance, gas, etc.. ). would you give me an estimate? I would be taking the train to Manhattan and would only need the car on the weekends or for occasional trips.

Old 05-09-2014, 08:59 AM

4 posts, read 6,645 times
croton has much better commute than mt kisco. I used to live there and my parents still do. the downside of croton is there isn't much restaurants/shops. its not a starbucks kinda town. but its quiet, people are nice and its close enough to other towns for farmers markets etc. I would highly suggest croton out of the options you've given. peekskill is another good option

Old 05-09-2014, 09:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by feifeiny View Post
croton has much better commute than mt kisco. I used to live there and my parents still do. the downside of croton is there isn't much restaurants/shops. its not a starbucks kinda town. but its quiet, people are nice and its close enough to other towns for farmers markets etc. I would highly suggest croton out of the options you've given. peekskill is another good option

thank you. I will consider Croton too. I just need to know how much I should set aside for the car expenses. I haven't owned a car in NY before and I know that I'd need one if I move up to Westchester.

Old 05-10-2014, 05:49 AM

581 posts, read 1,167,276 times
There is little social life for educated people.
Only move here if you're married.

Old 05-10-2014, 07:11 PM

13 posts, read 26,805 times
Please don't forget the cost of the monthly train commute. With the commute and having to buy a car, insure it etc. I doubt you will save much money.

Old 05-12-2014, 09:08 AM

4,762 posts, read 674,432 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jodi001 View Post
Please don't forget the cost of the monthly train commute. With the commute and having to buy a car, insure it etc. I doubt you will save much money.
That's definitely true, especially if you live in a town where Metro-North is not in walking distance.

I never understood why anyone would drive to a train station, and then travel the rest of the way to work by train. If you have to maintain a car (gas, insurance, and so on), why not just drive to work?

Old 05-12-2014, 09:10 AM

4,762 posts, read 674,432 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShouldHaveLeft914 View Post
There is little social life for educated people.
Only move here if you're married.
I've lived here all my life (lived in 9 or 10 different places in Westchester), and that is very far from the truth.

Old 05-12-2014, 09:26 AM

83 posts, read 154,927 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveC1024 View Post
That's definitely true, especially if you live in a town where Metro-North is not in walking distance.

I never understood why anyone would drive to a train station, and then travel the rest of the way to work by train. If you have to maintain a car (gas, insurance, and so on), why not just drive to work?
Because then your car maintenance expenses and gas would be much higher. And you have to deal with driving into the city every day instead of being on the train and reading the newspaper, sleeping, sending emails, or even having a drink if you wanted. Those are not vehicle approved activities.

I am grateful to be walking distance to my train, but I know for a fact if I wasn't within walking distance and I had to drive to the station, that's as far as my car would take me.

Some people like driving to work, I like taking the train. You don't understand why people drive to a train station, I don't understand why people drive to the city when they have a train station nearby. It's nice to have the ability to choose what you want to do.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Westchester County