Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Westchester County
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-01-2014, 04:26 PM

582 posts, read 758,952 times

Advertisements

I 'd like to relocate to a place where I can get more clean and fresh air and enjoy a quiet environment and beautiful scenery. I prefer a place where I can drive to a local farm nearby to get fresh produce.

Currently, I live in NYC and I am just tired of the noisy and expensive city. After doing some research, I've found croton-on-Hudson to be a nice place. A friend of mine just told me about Mt. Kisco. I, also, read here about Yorktown and how people who live up there, are enjoying it.I don't know anything about Yorktown and I don't know where to look. what are nice areas up there? Also, I don't know if croton on hudson, and croton falls are the same? I just go to CL and type Croton.

I need to be near the train or a bus as I'd be commuting to NYC 5 times a week for work. I don't care about the school system as I don't have kids. I'd love to live where I can find friendly people and eventually make some new friends.

I am just looking for a one bedroom apt for a single person that is not very expensive. that is what drove me out of NYC in the first place. When I looked at Tarrytown, it is the same price as NYC.

Would love to hear from locals or people with experience who live there. Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-01-2014, 06:15 PM

1,316 posts, read 5,171,307 times
It's a lovely area with lots to offer and you should come up and drive around. From your specs, I'd say Mt Kisco is the best fit of the three. But I'd also look in Peekskill, although that might be noisier and more urban than you want.

Old 05-01-2014, 07:11 PM

425 posts, read 1,206,768 times
Croton Falls and Croton on Hudson are not the same. Croton Falls is up near Somers/Purdys/Putnam County and Croton on Hudson is, not surprisingly, on the Hudson north of Ossising and south of Buchanan and Peekskill.

Old 05-03-2014, 11:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dma1250 View Post
It's a lovely area with lots to offer and you should come up and drive around. From your specs, I'd say Mt Kisco is the best fit of the three. But I'd also look in Peekskill, although that might be noisier and more urban than you want.

dma1250, thanks for the info. Do you live in Mt Kisco? I have been looking for a one bedroom apt but most of the listings on CL are for 3 or 4 bd apts.

Do you know a good broker in that area?

Mt Kisco looks lovely but I wonder about the winter there. how is it during winter time? and is it too close from the woods that I might come across any wild animals?

Old 05-04-2014, 06:41 AM

7,296 posts, read 11,804,559 times
I actually think Croton on Hudson is the best of your stated options if you are a frequent NYC commuter. Lots of express trains to GC. However I don't know your definition of "not very expensive".

Old 05-04-2014, 03:08 PM

1,316 posts, read 5,171,307 times
Croton is the best commute but Mt Kisco has restaurants, take out, and bars--the things I assume a single person is looking for. Croton could be deadly for a single. Which is why I suggest checking out Peekskill--good commute, restaurants, and bars.

Old 05-04-2014, 04:01 PM

6,205 posts, read 7,421,134 times
1) Westchester county is very expensive, though some towns are more so. No cheap places here.
2) As you move farther away north, costs drop down, but you will pay in commute times and money for train/ gas/ car/tolls...
3) Social life - its a personal issue. Living in an expensive town doesn't insure anything. "Friendly" people is always a hit or miss.
4) You will probably want to own a car, which in the city is not the case.

Good Luck!

Old 05-04-2014, 04:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by oberon_1 View Post
1) Westchester county is very expensive, though some towns are more so. No cheap places here.
2) As you move farther away north, costs drop down, but you will pay in commute times and money for train/ gas/ car/tolls...
3) Social life - its a personal issue. Living in an expensive town doesn't insure anything. "Friendly" people is always a hit or miss.
4) You will probably want to own a car, which in the city is not the case.

Good Luck!

Wow! that doesn't sound very encouraging!

Old 05-04-2014, 04:43 PM

Thanks guys, you are helping me to make a desicion. So croton on husdon has easier commute than Mt Kisco? well, that is important to me. I don't care much about bars and take outs. I am more into nature and green spaces, I like shopping, though.

I hear that Mt. Kisco is very safe. How about Croton on Husdon? and why the commute from Croton on Hudson to GC is better than it is from Mt.Kisco?

Old 05-04-2014, 07:50 PM

7,296 posts, read 11,804,559 times
I find the commute from MK to be unacceptable, but that's just me. Though I see the point about takeouts - you could probably get around this by taking out food in GC before you go home.

Making new friends - I don't think this will depend on your town. If it did, then you won't make a lot of new friends. More likely you will do this by joining a meetup group but then this can be done regardless of the town you live in. It's not like W-burg or Carroll Gardens where the pool of potential friends is large and singles are out in the open.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Westchester County