Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Westchester County
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-08-2014, 01:21 PM

90 posts, read 145,639 times

Advertisements

Thanks in advance for your feedback !

Are we going to be very uncomfortable once our kid moves to Middle school, since our income is only a bit above $200K (and we are both working)?

My husband and I are looking for a top notch school district with easy everyday commute to Grand Central. We also think Scarsdale is a very cute and comfortable village to live in. We dont mind smaller land lots and homes - actually appreciate since we are used to city living.

However, we're SO scared by the feedback on this forum about Scarsdale mentality. Are we going to be absolutely uncomfortable with our income there?

Thanks for all opinions.

Last edited by NYfamily77; 09-08-2014 at 01:36 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-08-2014, 01:33 PM
bg7

7,694 posts, read 10,558,693 times
There's no-one in Scarsdale my new puppy would be scared of. Let alone adults like you.

Old 09-08-2014, 02:07 PM

bg7, this is definitely encouraging! could you share more please ?

Old 09-08-2014, 02:44 PM

2,440 posts, read 6,257,817 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYfamily77 View Post
Thanks in advance for your feedback !

Are we going to be very uncomfortable once our kid moves to Middle school, since our income is only a bit above $200K (and we are both working)?

My husband and I are looking for a top notch school district with easy everyday commute to Grand Central. We also think Scarsdale is a very cute and comfortable village to live in. We dont mind smaller land lots and homes - actually appreciate since we are used to city living.

However, we're SO scared by the feedback on this forum about Scarsdale mentality. Are we going to be absolutely uncomfortable with our income there?

Thanks for all opinions.
Based on your fears and concerns, look elsewhere. I wouldn't want to move to a community where I have an inferiority complex.

Old 09-08-2014, 04:21 PM

12 posts, read 32,101 times
If you make 200k a year that's plenty to get into Scarsdale. Not everyone is a multimillionaire. Scarsdale is a nice town. Most people move in because of the schools. It's a place people come to raise their families. It has a nice sense of community and the Middle School is a friendly place. A lot of people relocate in and out for work so people are pretty welcoming to new residents. If you look for a-holes I'm sure you'll find some but most people are happy to be there.

Old 09-08-2014, 04:25 PM

I'm really hoping for informative responses please !

E.g. looking at the demographic info (//www.city-data.com/city/Scarsdale-New-York.html ),
the Edgewood median incomes are right at $200K, and even the richest parts of Scarsdale having the median incomes of $250K.

These hard numbers don't support all the bad stories about Scarsdale's super-richness and accompanying attitude, but maybe I'm missing something?

E.g. I dont mind if my kid goes to a Middle/High school where at least half of his classmates are at the same income level. But if he's in bottom 10% - I wouldnt want it to happen.

Thanks again for all opinions!

Old 09-08-2014, 04:29 PM

smith6552, thanks so much for your response.

Old 09-08-2014, 04:35 PM

91 posts, read 196,366 times
I grew up there. I don't know whether you have a son or a daughter. I think that the materialism in town is harder on the girls. Boys care a lot less about what their friends can buy. Especially if the boys are athletically gifted. If you live on that $200K salary, as opposed to supplement with investments, inheritance, etc., you will be among the least wealthy in town. If that bothers you, choose another town with strong schools in Westchester. There are more than a few towns that have houses that are priced in the same range as Edgewood and that have excellent schools.

Old 09-08-2014, 05:02 PM

Car_hill89, thank you this perspective - it explains a lot.

Old 09-08-2014, 06:38 PM

425 posts, read 1,213,054 times
"Boys care a lot less about what their friends can buy. Especially if the boys are athletically gifted"

So true - I think you wold be fine in Scarsdale. How about taking a look in Chappaqua - its a less intense version of Scarsdale but the school district is great and you get more for your money. Its less "city like" however.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Westchester County