U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Westchester County
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-24-2014, 08:59 AM

7,134 posts, read 10,377,609 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by john70 View Post
Honestly, the only thing to be concerned about are Coyote's if you have a small dog.
Or a small child.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-24-2014, 08:58 PM

425 posts, read 1,053,934 times
Quote:
Honestly, the only thing to be concerned about are Coyotes if you have a small dog. There is a concern about an occassional rabid racoon, but it never seems to amount to anything.
I hear about dogs disappearing, but kids never....Coyotes are looking for food and don't eat humans.. The handful attacks that have occurred tend to be in California. Cougars and mountain lions are a different story.

That being said, if you leave your toddlers outside in Westchester without adult supervision (particularly at night), you probably have bigger problems...like a substance abuse addiction.

Last edited by john70; 05-24-2014 at 09:08 PM..

Old 05-25-2014, 04:34 AM

Quote:
I hear about dogs disappearing, but kids never....Coyotes are looking for food and don't eat humans.. The handful attacks that have occurred tend to be in California.
There was also a case in Rye with some kids playing in their yard:

Parents on edge after 2nd coyote attack in Rye in just 2 weeks | 7online.com

Old 05-25-2014, 07:53 PM

293 posts, read 788,154 times
lyme disease is a problem anywhere deer live, which is pretty much everywhere in northern westchester. I grew up in Chappaqua with houses on three sides of us and we had deer in our yard on a daily basis, so a lack of 'woods' around you isn't going to stop them (the apple trees were a big draw I think!).

Old 05-26-2014, 12:09 AM

1,316 posts, read 4,787,679 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Forest_Hills_Daddy View Post
There was also a case in Rye with some kids playing in their yard:

Parents on edge after 2nd coyote attack in Rye in just 2 weeks | 7online.com
Yes, but that was Rye. Those southern Westchester coyotes are so desperate they'll attack anything. Northern Westchester coyotes are far pickier.

Just kidding. I've never heard of a coyote attack in the area, but that doesn't mean it's not possible. Obviously it's possible down county in less wooded areas, too.

Old 05-26-2014, 06:35 AM

Coyotes have been seen and heard around Central Park in Manhattan.

Old 05-30-2014, 03:47 PM

9 posts, read 17,377 times
Well... this forum definitely took a turn for the worst. We went from rabbits to snakes and child-eating coyote. Amazingly, we are still considering the house. Somehow $$ manages to temper my slight fear of wildlife.

Old 05-30-2014, 05:33 PM

2,505 posts, read 5,897,921 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WestReloc View Post
Well... this forum definitely took a turn for the worst. We went from rabbits to snakes and child-eating coyote. Amazingly, we are still considering the house. Somehow $$ manages to temper my slight fear of wildlife.
The coyote stuff is pretty ridiculous. Because somebody someplace had an incident doesn't make it a real issue. Live among the creatures as we do. The hummingbirds have appeared, they are delightful.

Old 05-31-2014, 09:09 PM

1,594 posts, read 3,047,344 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dma1250 View Post
Yes, but that was Rye. Those southern Westchester coyotes are so desperate they'll attack anything. Northern Westchester coyotes are far pickier.

Just kidding. I've never heard of a coyote attack in the area, but that doesn't mean it's not possible. Obviously it's possible down county in less wooded areas, too.
I have had them in my backyard.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Westchester County