U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Westchester County
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-26-2014, 06:53 AM

1 posts, read 2,073 times

Advertisements

hello - my family is considering a move to Westchester from Brooklyn. We have a 3 year old boy and I work in Manhattan. We love the vibe in the river towns, particularly Tarrytown. But we are a little concerned about the schools.

So, can anyone in the Tarrytown school district tell me about your experiences? What do you like and dislike? Do you feel like the average ratings it receives are valid or is it more a result of a flawed measurement system?

Thanks for all your input
-chris
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-02-2015, 10:38 PM

13 posts, read 41,009 times
I would like to know the same thing!! Surprised no one has replied...

Old 01-03-2015, 08:44 AM

4,679 posts, read 2,494,414 times
If you are going to move to Tarrytown you would be better off moving to the Pennybridge area which is south of 287 to Sunnyside Lane. This is in the Irvington School district. Tarrytown Schools were never that great because of the amount of students who attend that come from broken homes. Sleepy Hollow (formerly North Tarrytown) is also part of it. There are many impoverished people that live there many are here illegally. It has, as some like to sugar coat it "urban issues".

Old 01-03-2015, 09:52 AM

7,134 posts, read 10,347,384 times
Well, Hackley is a great school.

Old 01-03-2015, 10:00 AM

Forest_Hills_Daddy
Quote:
Well, Hackley is a great school
Indeed it is, however it is a private school.

Old 01-03-2015, 10:12 AM

7,134 posts, read 10,347,384 times
Not a few of my spouse's colleagues who moved to T-town ostensibly for its active downtown scene have applied their kids to Hackley (though not all were accepted). Many of these families don't make a lot - at most low 6-digits. At the back of my mind I'm thinking this is a very very expensive proposition!

Old 01-03-2015, 10:49 AM

Forest_Hills_Daddy
At one time I think it was an all boys school and has since gone co-ed. I had a childhood friend that attended there. No, girls? Not for me. My parents couldn't afford to send me there even if they wanted to. I attended Irvington Public Schools, there never was any real trouble there. I knew quite a few people during my school years that attended Washington Irving Middle and Sleepy Hollow High School. My cousin attended Tarrytown schools, his father, my uncle was a Tarrytown police officer. The same can not be said for those schools. This was mainly due to the residents of what's now Sleepy Hollow (formerly North Tarrytown). Particularly those who lived off of and on Beekman Ave., Cortlandt St, Depeyster St. etc. I can remember fights and mini riots among students back then which was literally unheard of in Irvington Schools. I don't know how much the closing of GM will effect that area as many of the small businesses along Beekman Ave. depended on it. I heard that they may put luxury apartments on that property which would be a good thing, but still the underclass will remain there and attend Tarrytown Public Schools. I've been out of New York for 5 years, shortly before we left while our home was for sale our neighbors son was interested in buying our home. He was offered a teaching position in both Tarrytown and Ossining but turned it down because of the reputation of those school districts. So it seems that things haven't changed that much since I was a kid.

Last edited by Ex New Yorker; 01-03-2015 at 11:18 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Westchester County