U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Westchester County
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-08-2014, 01:05 PM

12 posts, read 35,677 times

Advertisements

Need help between Armonk and Edgemont. We are both working parents with longish hours. Love the home in Armonk whereas the home in Edgemont is more modest. We have accepted offers on both. Initially we thought for what we are looking for (to feel like its worth leaving the city) we wanted a nicer home so we started to look at Chappaqua and Armonk after we saw what we can afford in Scarsdale and Edgemont.
All things same(home cost) any advice on which town is better for two working parents? Also I am worried about homes values in Armonk, how well do they appreciate? I am suddenly nervous that Armonk does not have a train station, how will people come to visit from the city? On the other hand the town reevaluation on taxes in Edgemont also mean potentially taxes for the property we like can go up. Need to make a decision ASAP before we lose one of these homes!
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message

Old 06-08-2014, 02:26 PM

2,402 posts, read 5,467,915 times
On the reevaluation issue, call the assessor's office and ask what the total assessment is for the property you are looking to purchase. Then ask what the "residential ratio" is for the Town of Greenburgh.

To make it simple, let's say you are about to buy the house for $1 million. The property assessment is $50,000, and the residential ratio is 5%. Divide $50,000 by 0.05, and you get $1 million. That would mean, typically, that your taxes would remain about the same after the reevaluation.

If the assessment were $60,000 and you divide by 0.05, Greenburgh is assessing the property as if it were worth $1.2 million. In all likelihood, your property taxes would go down, because you are only paying $1 million.

If the assessment were $40,000 and you divide by 0.05, Greenburgh is assessing the property as if it were $800,000. In all likelihood, your property would taxes would go up because you are paying $1 million.

Where are you working? If you are working long hours in Manhattan you would have to be crazy to live in Armonk. You would not have a life. But if you're working in White Plains (or most places in Westchester), and you like a bigger house with more land, live in Armonk.

And I wouldn't worry about your friends in the city. You should not base your housing decision on them. Hate to say it, but over time you will see them less and less. And when they do visit (in Armonk), they will take the train to North White Plains and you will pick them up.

Last edited by rubygreta; 06-08-2014 at 03:26 PM..

Old 06-08-2014, 07:49 PM

12 posts, read 35,677 times
Thank you Rubygreta. I work in midtown Manhattan, I think the drive from White Plains( more frequency of trains than N. White Plains) to Armonk is about 20 mins, so with a 38 min train ride I was thinking the commute will be about an hour and 10 mins. We also have two little children so I am worried about not seeing them too.

For a home where the kids will grow-up more spaces seems nicer to have. But then lower westchester for a 2m home you are not getting much land :-)

Old 06-08-2014, 08:54 PM

425 posts, read 1,049,878 times
The ride down 22 to North WP or WP is not bad at all.

Its a tough decision and, quite frankly, one of the reasons we chose the Armonk area is because you get more bang for your buck. We moved here two years ago from lower Westchester.

I don't commute to NYC every day and I usually drive but, if I did, we may have stayed in southern Westchester.

You certainly can't go wrong in Edgemont....and Armonk can take a little getting used to... people wise. Its small and tight and everyone knows everyone else and everything about everyone else...there is also a perceived attitude toward working moms. Dont get me wrong, I really like it here, the schools are great, there is no traffic, its convenient to get most places, and most people are nice, but there is a certain snobbish attitude. Its more in your face than Chappaqua, which tends to have more of a mix and is a bit more refined...like Edgemont...and of course the Edgemont school system is great too.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Westchester County