Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Westchester County
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-10-2014, 11:19 PM

1 posts, read 3,365 times

Advertisements

Hello everyone!

I tried to look for forums about Lake Peekskill, but couldn't find much (just 2 threads). My fiance and I are looking to purchase a home close to Westchester county. Unfortunately we cannot afford the high taxes here so we are looking elsewhere. I attend medical school in Valhalla and it would be a 30 min drive from Lake Peekskill, which is not too bad. We recently put in an offer for a home and are excited, nervous, and curious all at the same time! We need some help.
First, we did not realize we had to deal with septic sewage until 10 min ago. We saw the property and were aware of the well water, but for some reason didn't know about septic sewage. Maybe this is obvious to other people I have no idea, but we are a little worried. The house was a great price, less than 200K and was very nice with amazing views. We love the area because of how peaceful it is..and how secluded it is from other people. I definitely see myself here relaxing and going hiking. We really enjoy the outdoors.
The second thing that we are worried about is the neighborhood. From just a quick drive-around it looks like cute houses with a ton of character and people that keep to themselves. Not a big crime scene which is a huge plus, but in one of the threads I read I came across a comment that bothered me. Someone said this area is considered "white trash", is this true? We don't want to live in a place with such a negative perception. This is important because we might have to re-sale the house or rent it out since we don't know if we will have to relocate within the next three years.
On a side note, it made sense for us to buy- we already spent over 22K renting in Westchester County and the idea of losing almost 100K just on rent is outrageous. So any input you have on this town would be greatly appreciated. What are your thoughts even if you don't live in Lake Peekskill? Any recommendations? We are first time home buyers and rely on one income, so our resources are a bit limited. Thank you in advance.
Quick reply to this message

Old 06-11-2014, 09:33 AM

2,189 posts, read 2,103,449 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by superlalapa View Post
Hello everyone!

I tried to look for forums about Lake Peekskill, but couldn't find much (just 2 threads). My fiance and I are looking to purchase a home close to Westchester county. Unfortunately we cannot afford the high taxes here so we are looking elsewhere. I attend medical school in Valhalla and it would be a 30 min drive from Lake Peekskill, which is not too bad. We recently put in an offer for a home and are excited, nervous, and curious all at the same time! We need some help.
First, we did not realize we had to deal with septic sewage until 10 min ago. We saw the property and were aware of the well water, but for some reason didn't know about septic sewage. Maybe this is obvious to other people I have no idea, but we are a little worried. The house was a great price, less than 200K and was very nice with amazing views. We love the area because of how peaceful it is..and how secluded it is from other people. I definitely see myself here relaxing and going hiking. We really enjoy the outdoors.
The second thing that we are worried about is the neighborhood. From just a quick drive-around it looks like cute houses with a ton of character and people that keep to themselves. Not a big crime scene which is a huge plus, but in one of the threads I read I came across a comment that bothered me. Someone said this area is considered "white trash", is this true? We don't want to live in a place with such a negative perception. This is important because we might have to re-sale the house or rent it out since we don't know if we will have to relocate within the next three years.
On a side note, it made sense for us to buy- we already spent over 22K renting in Westchester County and the idea of losing almost 100K just on rent is outrageous. So any input you have on this town would be greatly appreciated. What are your thoughts even if you don't live in Lake Peekskill? Any recommendations? We are first time home buyers and rely on one income, so our resources are a bit limited. Thank you in advance.
Hello Neighbors!
I hope you get the house. You will live about 10 minutes from me. I line in Cortlandt Manor, which is right next to Lake Peekskill, but in westchester County. You are in the southern tip of Putnam County in this town.

First, please do not worry about a septic system. I woul dhave a home inspector run the dye test (they will know what it is) to make sure it works well, but other than that septic is nothing to worry about. I've haved a septic system my entire life. Everything in this area is septic. The cost of putting in sewers runs about $40,000 per home, even spread out over a long time, its expensive, plus everyone has to do it, so its never going to happen. Septic systems work great. Just don't flush anything but waste and toilet paper, don;t run grease down the drain, pour it into a can, freeze it and toss it our in the garbage. HAve the tank pumped every 2 - 4 years, if its just 2 adults, you can easily go 4-5 years between pumpings. If there are kids, its much faster.

The "white trash" comment is interesting. I hve heard that before. The issue is that Lake Peekskill was a summer cottage community and the homes were all summer places. When the rage died down, the homes sold cheap, so it was an area that got resettled by lower-mid income white residents. As the home values have gone up and that generation has retired or passed away, the newer generation is certainly a higher income base. Personally, I would not care what others thought of my home as long as I liked it, but you should know that many people who stil live in homes they bought for $35,000 are lower income white people. I would never call someone white trash because of their income and skin color though. This is an area with good schools (not great, but solid) great community, amazing town programs like little league and other sports, the Lake and the beach/boat rights you have are very valuable.

If this concerns you, look at Cortlandt (10567), which you can still afford and does not have any reputation like this.

Old 10-10-2014, 03:03 PM

12 posts, read 19,631 times
Take a look at my youtube page, The Peekskill Channel. I also know A LOT about Lake Peekskill. Have been president of the local synagogue there for abot 10 years (no one else wants the job). :-) Feel free to contact me directly.

Old 03-05-2015, 02:27 PM

1 posts, read 2,714 times
Joel, can I message you? My husband and I are thinking of relocating upstate and I would love to hear your perspective about Peekskill.

Old 03-05-2015, 03:23 PM

2,694 posts, read 3,319,149 times
I wouldn't worry about the "White Trash" comment......take it from a guy who is always reminded from his friends that "I'm from the other side of the tracks".....I'm better off now than most of them. As long as you like your home, that should be good enough.....you're the one paying the bills. As stated earlier, get the Septic Tested....a new Septic can be costly (20k or so), and there may be a stipulation with the town that you need to have "X" amount of land in reserve concerning Septic Systems.

Old 03-05-2015, 08:07 PM

Location: Westchester County, NY -> Pinellas County, FL -> Dutchess County, NY -> Denver?
348 posts, read 531,745 times
You'll be very close to Indian Point. I did enjoy cycling at Blue Mountain when I lived in Westchester County though.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Westchester County