Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Westchester County
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-13-2014, 10:39 AM

1,316 posts, read 5,191,917 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Westchesterwannabe View Post
The taxes for Larchmont and Scarsdale seem pretty low, they're mostly likely in the Yonkers and New Rochelle school district.
I believe I searched by school district, not PO.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-13-2014, 04:47 PM

1,316 posts, read 5,191,917 times
^^ I rechecked and I did search by district: the Scarsdale house is Scarsdale schools and the Larchmont one is Mamaroneck. I don't think a random sampling of 8 tells you too much, but it is useful to look at real houses rather than generalizations.

Old 06-18-2014, 09:28 AM

730 posts, read 1,302,329 times
Just curious why the samples are all in the $900K range... does that mean *gulp* that's the going price for an "average" house in those towns???? :-O

Old 06-18-2014, 11:00 AM

222 posts, read 540,739 times
17k for a 900+ house seems awfully low...there's a catch somewhere.

Old 06-18-2014, 03:07 PM

122 posts, read 371,128 times
Anecdotally, Somers has lower taxes than say neighboring Yorktown. Somers has several large corps.. Pepsi, IBM and others while Yorktown has very few.
You'd really have to compare similar houses in each town to get a true picture.

Old 06-19-2014, 09:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Westchesterwannabe View Post
17k for a 900+ house seems awfully low...there's a catch somewhere.
It might be low but again it might not.

A family member is trying to sell their house in Suffolk (5000 sf on 1/2 acre); taxes are $22,500 without STAR and house is priced in the low 700s.

On the other hand here's a $995K house in Dix Hills on 1/2 acre with taxes around 17K:
17 W Shoreham Dr, Dix Hills, NY 11746 | Listing Information | MLSLI.com - Long Island Real Estate

School districts are comparable for these two; actually if anything the Dix Hills district is slightly better regarded.

Old 06-19-2014, 02:30 PM

2,208 posts, read 2,152,919 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StressedOutNYer View Post
It might be low but again it might not.

A family member is trying to sell their house in Suffolk (5000 sf on 1/2 acre); taxes are $22,500 without STAR and house is priced in the low 700s.

On the other hand here's a $995K house in Dix Hills on 1/2 acre with taxes around 17K:
17 W Shoreham Dr, Dix Hills, NY 11746 | Listing Information | MLSLI.com - Long Island Real Estate

School districts are comparable for these two; actually if anything the Dix Hills district is slightly better regarded.
Also, taxes on an individual home over 20 years old might vary greatly depending on when there was a reassessment and if there was a challange. My taxes are 10% lower than my next door neighbor because he was reassessed following some work after a tree fell on his house in a hurricane and he never challanged it. Its the exact same house as mine, in fact mine has a newer kitchen and a newer bathroom, but his taxes are much higher.

Old 06-19-2014, 05:58 PM

2,619 posts, read 7,032,154 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dr.strangelove View Post
Also, taxes on an individual home over 20 years old might vary greatly depending on when there was a reassessment and if there was a challange. My taxes are 10% lower than my next door neighbor because he was reassessed following some work after a tree fell on his house in a hurricane and he never challanged it. Its the exact same house as mine, in fact mine has a newer kitchen and a newer bathroom, but his taxes are much higher.
Bingo. This has a greater effect than all the other stuff combined, at least in northern Westchester. My house hasn't been assessed in 35 years. And the taxes reflect that. The tax rate means nothing. It's all about the assessment and how legitimate it is.

Old 06-20-2014, 09:03 AM

Hmmm. So in Westchester County your taxable valuation does not change from year to year?

I can look back on 12 years of (Suffolk Co.) property tax bills and see the taxable valuation go up or down yearly. For instance it dropped almost 25K from the 2011 to the 2012 bill, even though nothing was done to or "happened to" the house.

My area uses a percentage of the Full Market Value (as they determine that to be) to calculate the taxable valuation, and that FMV does fluctuate from year to year even if everything about the house remains the same.

Are things done differently in Westchester? And do they automatically reassess on sale there?

Old 06-20-2014, 09:30 AM

2,619 posts, read 7,032,154 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StressedOutNYer View Post
Hmmm. (1) So in Westchester County your taxable valuation does not change from year to year?

I can look back on 12 years of (Suffolk Co.) property tax bills and see the taxable valuation go up or down yearly. For instance it dropped almost 25K from the 2011 to the 2012 bill, even though nothing was done to or "happened to" the house.

My area uses a percentage of the Full Market Value (as they determine that to be) to calculate the taxable valuation, and that FMV does fluctuate from year to year even if everything about the house remains the same.

(2) Are things done differently in Westchester? (3) And do they automatically reassess on sale there?
(1) Mine hasn't changed in 22 years. And there's no indication that it changed since 1967 when a major renovation was done.
(2) Clearly.
(3) Not automatically. Depends entirely on the town. Pound Ridge certainly doesn't and I don't think Bedford does either.

As I posted earlier - all the official tables and rates greatly oversimplify the reality on the ground and don't paint an accurate picture. Never assume.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Westchester County