Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Westchester County
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-20-2014, 02:06 AM

33 posts, read 141,099 times

Advertisements

I am a guy that plays trivia at bars and restaurants. I have been playing trivia at the same places the past couple years. Needless to say, I am somewhat adept at it and win a lot. Now the trivia company's owner which is hired by the restaurant/bars to perform a service, told me that I win too much and to not attend the events. Naturally, I refused to listen to him because I felt he was totally wrong to ask me not to come.

A feud developed and I continued to go to trivia nights at the various locales. The owners and managers of the establishments have did not have any issues with me playing. So my question is, is it lawful for the trivia company's owner and employees to refuse to allow me to particpate at these trivia events?

Is their decision arbitrary and discrminatory and can I take legal action if they refuse to let me participate?

Note, I do not break any rules or equipment, am not unruly, and do not cheat.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-20-2014, 11:27 AM

2,209 posts, read 2,154,963 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnrain View Post
I am a guy that plays trivia at bars and restaurants. I have been playing trivia at the same places the past couple years. Needless to say, I am somewhat adept at it and win a lot. Now the trivia company's owner which is hired by the restaurant/bars to perform a service, told me that I win too much and to not attend the events. Naturally, I refused to listen to him because I felt he was totally wrong to ask me not to come.

A feud developed and I continued to go to trivia nights at the various locales. The owners and managers of the establishments have did not have any issues with me playing. So my question is, is it lawful for the trivia company's owner and employees to refuse to allow me to particpate at these trivia events?

Is their decision arbitrary and discrminatory and can I take legal action if they refuse to let me participate?

Note, I do not break any rules or equipment, am not unruly, and do not cheat.

You should call an attorney, but I suspect the answer is no, you have no legal right to be in the trivia contests and businesses can refuse service to anyone unless there is some discrimination law at issue. This does not sound like a race thing, but that they just do not want your business. Good luck, but I do not think you have a great case. If it were just games of chance, not skill, you woul dbe better off since there are rules in place about these things (lik emonopoly at mcdonalds) but in this case I do not see it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Westchester County