U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Westchester County
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-09-2014, 09:28 AM

12 posts, read 22,057 times

Advertisements

I'll be working on Wall Street. According to the MTA site, it'll be about a 1 hour ride (Metro North + 4/5 line). I'm spoiled now in that my subway ride in Boston is 15 minutes and on just one line. I read that some of the properties farther away from the Metro North station have shuttles, but I'm sure they are pay-per-use.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-09-2014, 04:35 PM

826 posts, read 2,149,934 times
Oy. Getting to Wall Street will probably take you 1.5 hours door to door, or more. The subway is the x factor here. By the time you get to the train, wait for the train, ride the train, get from Metro North to the subway platform, ride the subway, then walk to your office... It's a trek. And the subway is VERY unpredictable.

Old 07-09-2014, 08:18 PM

425 posts, read 1,051,807 times
I often took the train from WP to Wall for Fulton. It will take about an hour to 1:15, assuming you get the express and depending upon how long you have to wait for a 4/5 train at GCT. I agree - Jefferson is too far down Mamaroneck Ave. to walk to and from the train everyday. I have friends who rent at the Ritz Carlton also but its pricier.

Old 07-10-2014, 07:39 AM

Good to know about the NYC subway. Boston's subway is notorious for "delays due to disabled train," so nothing new to me.

I called a few properties yesterday for info and appointments. As has been mentioned before, the fees are out of control. Is there ever any room for negotiating? Also, who are the providers for electricity, gas and cable/phone/Internet?

Old 07-10-2014, 08:28 AM

3,719 posts, read 1,586,571 times
Most of the corporate run buildings (Avalon, Gramercy, Bank Street) are not negotiable. Unfortunately, if you do not want to pay someone else will... However, if you rent from an owner at a condo building (Seasons, Trump, Ritz) you can always try and negotiate... electric is usually Con Ed. Cable/phone/internet is either Cablevision or Verizon Fios depending on which you chose.

Old 07-12-2014, 08:19 PM

7,134 posts, read 10,362,455 times
I agree w/ streetsmart. My office is in Wall St. On average, a train commute would take 1.5 hours on average once you factor in waiting for the train, transfer in GC and subway delays. And the subway rides are not always very pleasant in the rush hour.

Old 07-14-2014, 07:40 AM

This is all good news to know. Guess I'd better prepare for a longer commute!

Old 07-23-2014, 08:44 AM

Hi everyone. Just thought I'd report out on our trip to WP last weekend. Overall, we had an enjoyable trip. The city seems clean, safe and on the upswing. Streets were quiet during the weekend, but really got energized on Monday. Mamaroneck, Main and Hamilton streets were busy with new restaurants, bars and shops. There are a few blighted streets, but we're told the community is on the upswing. Seems like a nice place to live. Easy to find your way around.

Anyway, we saw several managed properties (Avalon, 15 Bank, Halstead MetroNorth, One City Place) and two condos (one in The Seasons and one on McKinley Street). We eliminated the two condos because they were oddly configured or a little too far out of the way.

All of the managed properties were nice, each with similar amenities and their own pros and cons. We eliminated Halstead because it seemed to have the most outdated units (with wall-to-wall carpeting), which were too small. They also seemed to have the fewest amenities and didn't have in-unit laundry (a must for us).

We really liked 15 Bank, and Angela in leasing was awesome, but we could only see the one-bed models (we want a 2 bed). According to the floor plans, we might be able to fit our furniture in the 2 bed, but we don't want to commit sight-unseen. (We found it interesting and frustrating that you often can't see the actual unit or floor plan that you may be leasing. I understand that you can't get into rented units, but you'd think in bldgs that size you could have model units for viewing.) We felt 15 bank had the best kitchens and bathrooms with lots of cabinets, nice amenities and outdoor grilling area, and it seemed a very quiet building.

Avalon was nice, the building common areas were impressive and clean, and I liked how the bldg was set closer to the residential neighborhood. Big kitchen and bathrooms (and full size, front loading washer/dryer sets) and bedrooms were good size. Unfortunately, the biggest available unit was too small for all of our furniture. And they do have fees for everything (even cold water and sewer). We never got to see the town homes.

One City Place seems to be where we are headed. While more expensive, and with the least favorite kitchen (read: smaller with fewer cabinets), we found a perfect corner unit floor plan with a big, over sized living/dining area that will fit our furniture. It has decent closet space and a layout that separates living/dining/kitchen from the bedrooms. Bummed about the top loading washer, but i'll get use to that (or maybe can convince them to install front-loading). We also liked the location (near our gym, market, target, etc). And, surprising, parking was the cheapest here.

There was one property that we really wanted to see: VibeLiving's La Gianna on Maple and Dekalb. The website makes it look great and the outside of the building is nice, but construction prevented us from attending the scheduled open house. Square footage (waiting for room dimensions) and costs would be on par with One City Place, but La Gianna is the farthest away from the train (they are claiming shuttle service) and it wouldn't have the height or location of being downtown.

Thanks for everyone's prior input as it helped us look for the right things and ask the probing questions

Old 04-23-2015, 08:23 AM

5,559 posts, read 4,001,068 times
My wife and I will be moving from Chicago to WP or Stamford in June and so far Stamford seems to have a much more vibrant and elastic rental market compared to WP. Our preference would be WP but it is like trying to shoehorn a size 16 foot into a size 10 shoe.

We increased our budget to $3100 knowing full well that this is just for rent and does not include parking, utilities, or other built in amenity charges and we should probably kiss the deposit goodbye once we hand it over. Still nothing.

Our experiences with VibeLiving were very poor (La Gianna, Reed, Dylan). Lots of bait and switch. The realtors on the whole really can't help much with rentals since they see what I see online. Some even advertise rentals that are already spoken for. It's just a very, very tight market and you have to be able to jump on a good property very quickly to secure it. Even then there is no guarantees since without a signed lease, the property may still go to someone else during application processing. My guess is that there is a bidding war for good apartments.

The Jefferson Place (300 Mamaroneck) are Ok but the bedrooms are tiny since a substantial amount of space is dedicated to bathrooms and the W/D. It is interesting that developers believe that large bathrooms sell faster than large bedrooms and closet space. It must be true otherwise they wouldn't do it.

Stamford seems to be less cutthroat. We have a no fee realty agent who will be showing us several modern, larger sized, candidate apartments when we visit next week. There are some that she doesn't represent for no-fee and we will visit those on our own. I don't expect any problems finding a good apartment, that is larger and cheaper than WP in Stamford.

Still, not giving up on WP area for several reasons, does anyone have any experiences with the Talleyrand or Avalon Elmsford apartments? Any info would be very much appreciated.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Westchester County