Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Westchester County
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-19-2007, 11:09 AM

1,836 posts, read 3,171,805 times

Advertisements

This was posted in the good schools thread but for that sake of attention i decided to start a new thred.

Hey all- My daughter is STRUGGLING through high school right now and i'm at wits end. She is not a BAD person, in fact she is very sweet and caring. She just seems to associate with the wrong people and does not prioritze well. She's only lived with me for 2 years after having been brought up by her mother (ghetto fab- long gone).. long story... she started going downhill and I demanded she move in with me.

anyhow, back to schools- Can anyone recommend a school in Westchester for high school students that have fallen way back? This school should also be in a GOOD AREA. I will rent or buy depending on prices. My current landlord won't raise my rent because he does not want to see me go but I must. We are quiet, friendly, helpful neighbors. I have one cat.

I'm trying to do whatever I can for her and will sacrifice convenience.

My thinking is to move her far away from her friends (queens, ny) and to get her in a school that can actually help.

If anyone has any ideas it would be appreciated.

signed- desperate dad!
Quick reply to this message

Old 12-20-2007, 02:03 PM

857 posts, read 4,867,544 times
Dad, I want to commend you for putting your daughter's welfare above all else. I used to live in White Plains many years ago (moved there from Brookly) and I liked it a lot. I liked the schools back then, but I don't know how they are now. there was a Century 21 office on Mamaroneck ave and they were very helpful. You can call and ask them to help you.
I moved to Atlanta because I felt that my son could have a better upbringing there. Depending on your job you might want to look in other areas. Your daughter will initially object, but kids are very flexible. Good luck.

Old 12-20-2007, 02:36 PM

490 posts, read 1,781,685 times
Default Call the school districts...

Hi BK2Westchester,
I tried to do a Google about it because it is an interesting topic. Nothing to report came up, however as a mother, I'd advise you to just get a good school district and make the move. A good district will help you with your concerns and work with your daughter. As much as I love White Plains, it might not be what you are looking for because there is much going on at the malls etc. right now and a more calm enviroment may be better for your daughter. You might want to consider Valhalla or Pleasantville, towns close to White Plains but more quiet. I am sure if you pick and handful of towns with good schools and call the district offices you will find helpful information.

Good luck,

Old 12-23-2007, 01:04 PM

305 posts, read 1,888,098 times
I answered you in your other thread but would you consider Ardsley? Its a very small district with an exceptional program that caters to all kids. In fact it has one of the top special ed programs in westchester (not saying your DD needs special ed, just trying to say they cater to all kids). In fact, I know several people who moved to Ardsley b/c of its programs.

Old 12-24-2007, 10:15 AM

1,836 posts, read 3,171,805 times
Thanks for the feedback- I'm giving her one last marking period to show significant progress and if I see no change I will call a realtor. I've hired a tutor to come to our current home twice a week to help her. I'm giving her all the tools to succeed. I've even converted my small recording studio (my hobby) into an office so she and the tutor have a professional setting when they get started next week.

I'm going to check out the above referenced towns and hopefully I will have my Plan B (if she fails again) intact by June. If I make this move i'll only have the end of June through the beginning of September to get settled in and ready for the new school year.

I just feel overwhelmed having to deal with all the intricasies of buying, topped off with FINDING and getting involved in a new school and dealing with my daughters emotions about moving so far. Not the mention still having to get up and go to work the next day!

Being alone has surely caught up to me!

However, in my mind it all seem totally doable.

Merry Christmas to all!

Old 12-31-2007, 12:09 PM

411 posts, read 1,596,845 times
BK2, how is your search going? There are a number of good towns on your list. You haven't mentioned a price range which be a determining factor in which town you choose. Ardsely, Dobbs Ferry, Eastchester, Pleasantville (a bit far from NYC) would be good choices if your budget is more middle-class. If your budget is higher, you could look at Bronxville, Scarsdale, Larchmont, Chappaqua (also a bit of a schlep from NYC), Briarcliff. Good luck, and keep us posted.

Old 01-05-2008, 11:51 PM

1 posts, read 2,622 times
Default Alternative High Schools

I am not sure if your daughter is having behavioral issues as well as academic but you may want to look into districts that have Alternative High Schools or programs. These are programs that are specifically designed for students who are "slipping". They work on study skills and behavior modification. Let me know if you need more info
Best
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Westchester County