Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Westchester County
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-28-2014, 04:53 AM

12 posts, read 31,001 times

Advertisements

We are thinking of moving to Westchester from Queens and are not sure whether there will be homes in our price range with a reasonable commute (45-50 minutes on the train or less) and good schools. It would also be great to find a town without a wait list for parking at the train or the ability to walk to the station. We have looked in Mamaroneck which we liked. Any other ideas?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-28-2014, 06:36 AM

3,841 posts, read 1,978,664 times
I just bought a house in the Rye Neck area of Mamaroneck. We paid under 600 for our house. Our taxes are around 12,000.00 per year but expect them to come up as we just put a pretty big addition on the house. The school is very small but rated very highly. Every parent I speak to has nothing but great things to say about the school system. My kids are not in school yet so I have not first hand knowledge. The town is great. Always having family nights, movie nights, Halloween events.... its been wonderful so far living in Mamaroneck.

Old 08-03-2014, 08:38 AM

71 posts, read 133,634 times
In my experience, if you want the holy trinity of great schools, commutable train time and something under $700K (yes, I know you said under $600K), your options will be limited *if* you're only looking at houses. If you are ok with condos, that will open up a number of options that fit the criteria above. Two additional pluses of condos: they are often pretty close to the train stations, lessening part of the commute, and the RE taxes are far lower. Take a look at the condos on Popham Road and Garth Road in Scarsdale/Eastchester, Marbury Corners in Pelham, etc.

Old 08-04-2014, 07:34 AM
bg7

7,694 posts, read 10,561,490 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lisanicole1 View Post
I just bought a house in the Rye Neck area of Mamaroneck. We paid under 600 for our house. Our taxes are around 12,000.00 per year but expect them to come up as we just put a pretty big addition on the house. The school is very small but rated very highly. Every parent I speak to has nothing but great things to say about the school system. My kids are not in school yet so I have not first hand knowledge. The town is great. Always having family nights, movie nights, Halloween events.... its been wonderful so far living in Mamaroneck.

Second this. Rye Neck schools are great, Mamaroneck station is 10-15 min-walkable from much of Rye Neck and there is plenty going on. The train ride is about 35-40 mins. to GCT
There's also other offerings like a reasonable theater in town (Emelin), an excellent library, a park on the harbor where the soccer leagues and baseball leagues run etc. And - there are still some homes around the prices you are looking for. Coming from Queens you might appreciate that it has more diversity than many otherwise comparable towns.

Old 08-22-2014, 03:35 PM

3 posts, read 7,519 times
Check out Valhalla, Pleasantville, Westlake very good bang for your buck and good schools to boot. All within 35-45 mins train to Manhattan.

Old 08-22-2014, 07:07 PM

2 posts, read 2,368 times
Yorktown is a great town. So far we are very happy with the schools. It's a 42 minute train ride (express) from Croton with a 15 min. car ride to the station. Taxes are high but the town has such wonderful things to offer families. Good luck with your search!

Old 08-23-2014, 06:05 PM

701 posts, read 1,429,211 times
Check out Croton-on-Hudson. It should meet all your criteria.

Old 08-24-2014, 11:56 AM

107 posts, read 441,575 times
Chappaqua has some houses around $600k. We bought ours two years ago for under $600k.

There is parking available at the train station (no wait list). There are quite a few houses in walking distance to the train station. Train commute to GCT is about 45-50 minutes with lots of express trains.

Schools are good.

It's worth a look.

Old 08-24-2014, 02:34 PM

723 posts, read 1,005,106 times
New Rochelle is awesome for kids and closer to the city!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Westchester County