U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Westchester County
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-05-2014, 08:49 PM

425 posts, read 1,093,913 times

Advertisements

I agree, Irvington and Ardsley are great towns with great schools, particularly Ardsley. You will get more for your money in Pleasantville and Chappaqua, also with great schools.

The commute from Chap to Tarrytown is only 15 mins. down the Saw Mill.

In terms of Mamaroneck, while it might be a challenge at times, one would think that you would essentially have a reverse commute on 287 from the heavy traffic flow.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-05-2014, 11:09 PM

17,737 posts, read 21,023,059 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShouldHaveLeft914 View Post
If you can afford $1.2m, then Irvington is your choice.
5 mins commute, and one of the top shelf towns in the county.

You will have other high earners of your breeding and pedigree.
DO NOT live in Tarrytown or Mamaroneck if you can afford $1.2m.

Irvington. Case closed.
Irvington is a fine town. On the other hand, I would avoid the advice of anyone who considers 'breeding and pedigree' to be a qualifying factor in finding pleasant life.

Most people who blather on about breeding and pedigree in Westchester are insufferable. Personally, I prefer Tarrytown as it is a nice little town with life to it on the main street and you mention being able to walk to it.

Old 08-06-2014, 04:39 AM

2,405 posts, read 5,628,101 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ABQConvict View Post
Irvington is a fine town. On the other hand, I would avoid the advice of anyone who considers 'breeding and pedigree' to be a qualifying factor in finding pleasant life.

Most people who blather on about breeding and pedigree in Westchester are insufferable. Personally, I prefer Tarrytown as it is a nice little town with life to it on the main street and you mention being able to walk to it.
Agreed. That was a really obnoxious statement.

Old 08-06-2014, 07:03 AM

374 posts, read 971,608 times
With a 45 minute commute requirement you could go further north than what has been mentioned and get a lot more for your money.

Also, Mamoroneck would be an easy commute to Tarrytown. But it wouldn't be as big of an upgrade as something further north. It's slightly better than Tarrytown but not enough of an upgrade IMO.

If I were you, I would first narrow things down geographically. Personally, I think you can divide Westchester into east, west , north and Yonkers. Yonkers is out for you. So you should pick between east, west and north. Most people would pick west for the close commute and others would pick north for the bigger houses/land. You have received a lot of suggestion for "west", and you should definitely consider that first. But, I don't think you should ignore the "north."

Secondly, you should narrow things based on the house. There are a lot of older homes here that are not in the best of shape. Unless you are very handy, you won't have too many choices for what I would consider a move in condition home. That has been my limited experience, so I could be wrong.

Anyhow, I would personally pick Irvington over Tarrytown because I am a boring person and like it that way. I also don't like the outdoorsy feel of the northern towns. Tarrytown has a lot going on and is way more interesting. However, the schools are not as good as Irvington, so most people here would pick Irvington. If Tarrytown had the Irvington schools, I am not sure anyone would ever pick Irvington. My 2cents.

Old 08-06-2014, 08:23 AM

581 posts, read 1,167,032 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cruithne View Post

This is er...a relocation forum, for people to ask questions about.. er, relocating.

Err, this is NOT a relocation forum.
It is a general discussion forum for people in the same locale.

Unfortunately, 99% of posts are related to relocation.

Anyone know of a great mechanic in Westchester?

Old 08-06-2014, 08:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmwguydc View Post
I would also suggest looking at Pleasantville. Briarcliff Manor would be another consideration, but the village is not as walkable. Tarrytown and Irvington are good places to look, too, and I would also suggest the Philipse Manor area of Sleepy Hollow. You do not have to be very far from Tarrytown, itself, to find neighborhoods that meet your criteria, which is a bonus as that helps to eliminate traffic delays.

Briarcliff Manor is another top tier town that is 15 mins. from Tarrytown.
Why not look at Chappaqua, which is also about 15-20 mins to Tarrytown.
Pleasantville is the next step down, but is above average and within 15 mins.

You now have 4 towns to work with.

Old 08-06-2014, 10:59 AM

8,919 posts, read 4,866,149 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShouldHaveLeft914 View Post
Err, this is NOT a relocation forum.
It is a general discussion forum for people in the same locale.

Unfortunately, 99% of posts are related to relocation.

Anyone know of a great mechanic in Westchester?
Who says it is not a relocation forum?

Type 'city data forum' into google.

This is what comes up:

City-Data.com Forum: Relocation, Moving, General and ...

I don't know what the argument is.
Clearly the forum is a general discussion forum also. Great.

The point as always is, if you don't like the posts there is absolutely no obligation to respond, you can just ignore the thread and move on. Simples!

Old 08-06-2014, 11:20 AM

8,919 posts, read 4,866,149 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sdcity View Post
With a 45 minute commute requirement you could go further north than what has been mentioned and get a lot more for your money.

Also, Mamoroneck would be an easy commute to Tarrytown. But it wouldn't be as big of an upgrade as something further north. It's slightly better than Tarrytown but not enough of an upgrade IMO.

If I were you, I would first narrow things down geographically. Personally, I think you can divide Westchester into east, west , north and Yonkers. Yonkers is out for you. So you should pick between east, west and north. Most people would pick west for the close commute and others would pick north for the bigger houses/land. You have received a lot of suggestion for "west", and you should definitely consider that first. But, I don't think you should ignore the "north."

Secondly, you should narrow things based on the house. There are a lot of older homes here that are not in the best of shape. Unless you are very handy, you won't have too many choices for what I would consider a move in condition home. That has been my limited experience, so I could be wrong.

Anyhow, I would personally pick Irvington over Tarrytown because I am a boring person and like it that way. I also don't like the outdoorsy feel of the northern towns. Tarrytown has a lot going on and is way more interesting. However, the schools are not as good as Irvington, so most people here would pick Irvington. If Tarrytown had the Irvington schools, I am not sure anyone would ever pick Irvington. My 2cents.

Actually we have been told that quite a few people do travel in from Putnam - also because the taxes are lower. I don't know what the schools are like up there though, I haven't got that far yet with research.

I have spotted a few nice properties in Chappaqua and Pleasantville. Certainly seems like you can get more for your money further north. There's a nice property in Chappaqua I might take a look at if it is still on the market when we visit. Is Chappaqua quite isolated? I might just be slightly concerned with that. My son particularly is starting to get to an age where he is more independent.

I actually prefer older properties. Whenever I do a search I seek out properties built before 1950 so I'm not put off by that.

Thanks everyone, this gives me a lot to go on and I certainly have a much clearer picture now.

Old 08-06-2014, 06:37 PM

425 posts, read 1,093,913 times
Keep Katonah in mind as well, as well as Somers if you want more bang for your buck than Briarcliff or Chappaqua or Pleasantville. Areas of Putnam are pretty isolated.

Old 08-07-2014, 07:56 AM

Putnam is mostly blue collar workers.
Stick to the 4 towns you were provided above.

What kind of work do you do?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Westchester County